Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbydigitalbg View Post
    "Note that when the CPU is idle, the clocks are stopped completely, as is the case for all kernels for the Palm Pre" what this means?The clock for the time or?And is it working for all phones,because I've read that some pres have problem with putting the CPU on 200-300 mhz or something like that.Is 500mhz the lowest frequency?The battery draining on 800 Mhz is the same like 500mhz or is almost the same.Sorry for the bad english and thanks for the great developement.
    When your device has the screen turned off, and is not actively doing any background tasks, it really is asleep. It doesn't matter what frequency you have normal operation set to, when the device is asleep, the clock frequency is zero.

Sometimes running at 800MHz to finish a task as quickly as possible allows the CPU to go to sleep that much earlier, and stay asleep for longer. Google "Race to Idle" for more information on that.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    So what happens to clock speed while in screen off mode BUT doing exchange sync and the 5min polling used by Youview for voicemail checking. will it stay at 500mhz or scale to 800mhz even though the screen is off.
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
    will settings stick upon reboot?
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathsArrow View Post
    Alternatively you can check the stats in CPUScalar.

Ya, the CPUScaler lets you check speed and other things, and with the Super PreKernel App you can set any speed on the fly.
    Thanks for all your work, ‹berkernel++

But oppose to somewhere else (one of the twittered links) stated I had to remove the old ‹berkernel first, and reinstall the palm stock kernel, reboot, and than I could install the new ‹berkernel. (nothing that bad, but tends to make me nervous )

Screenstate is used now, as it seems to be the best solution for my kind of usage, if screen is off I don't care what (and how fast) it does, important is battery usage, and if screen is on I don't care on battery, as I want a responsive devices.

Keep on going.
    Quote Originally Posted by aairman23 View Post
    will settings stick upon reboot?
    For now, the webosinternals guys have made the settings NOT stick after reboot for safety reasons. Because what if it was the overclocking kernel that caused the reboot? You wouldn't want to automatically go back to overclocking if that is the cause of the problem. I believe in the future when this overclocking business has been worked out perfectly, they will provide the option for the settings to stick.

thesnowdog
    Will I need to remove my 800 MHz patch before installing this? I do not have the uberkernal, just the plain ole 800 MHz patch. Thank you for all your hard work and making this phone so much better!
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Does this mean I no longer need the CPU Scaler Ultimate app, which I just purchased?

This is why I hate purchasing apps like this, others come out almost daily and make the app I just purchased obsolete.
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The Uber-Kernel is the underlying kernel which controls the CPU
    So, if we want to not keep buying apps that do the same thing, we should buy Uber-Kernel because its the source, and not purchase any other?
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vkitty View Post
    Ya, the CPUScaler lets you check speed and other things, and with the Super PreKernel App you can set any speed on the fly.
    The Super PreKernel app does not set speeds for the Uber-Kernel. It actually installs a different first-generation kernel binary for each speed you select.

You should use either the Govnah app or the CPU Scaler app to set CPU scaling parameters with the Uber-Kernel. Only the Govnah app supports the new 'screenstate' governor at the moment, but I hope and expect that CPU Scaler will include support for it soon.

Basically, if you want to have Uber-Kernel installed, and take advantage of the new second and third generation features (like the internal CPU temperature sensor and the screenstate governor) then you should not have Super PreKernel installed.

Of course, if you are completely happy with your current overclocking solution, then there is no need to change on a whim.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vkitty View Post
    So, if we want to not keep buying apps that do the same thing, we should buy Uber-Kernel because its the source, and not purchase any other?
    The Uber-Kernel and Govnah are both open source freeware. You use the open source freeware Preware installer to install them.

You may still choose to purchase CPU Scaler Ultimate (I have purchased a copy myself) as it is interoperable with the Uber-Kernel, and I hope and expect that it will be updated to support the new third-generation screenstate governor (it already supports the second-generation internal CPU temperature sensor).

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Of course, if you are completely happy with your current overclocking solution, then there is no need to change on a whim.
    I am happy with the best app possible. I want to have as much control over my pre as possible.

Also, when Govnah ability, and the screen goes off, what happens to apps like Pandora?
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by squeezy View Post
    Will I need to remove my 800 MHz patch before installing this? I do not have the uberkernal, just the plain ole 800 MHz patch. Thank you for all your hard work and making this phone so much better!
    Yes, you need to remove any first generation overclocking patches (like the 800MHz patch you're referring to), and any first generation overclocking kernels and applications (like the Super PreKernel) if you wish to use the Uber-Kernel.

If you're happy with the 800MHz patch, there's no need to change on a whim.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Hello,

I think that i might be doing something wrong with the Kernel and Govnah. I have both installed and set min freq at 500 and max at 800 . Everything seems to run fine. But when I run NOVA the freq drops to 500 mhz again and does not come back up to 800 automatically. It also changed the setsped back to 500.

I also noticed when I restarted the phone it was back at 500. Am I just missing a simple step?

Thanks for the great work.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by xalasten View Post
    I think that i might be doing something wrong with the Kernel and Govnah. I have both installed and set min freq at 500 and max at 800 . Everything seems to run fine. But when I run NOVA the freq drops to 500 mhz again and does not come back up to 800 automatically. It also changed the setsped back to 500.
    If you leave the governor set to 'userspace', then the Palm LunaSysMgr program will override your settings. We recommend using one of the other governor settings (like the screenstate governor which is the subject of this thread).

I also noticed when I restarted the phone it was back at 500. Am I just missing a simple step?
    That is intentional. See the 7 principles of kernel design and packaging at http://bit.ly/next-gen-kernels for details.

Once we have devised a fail-safe method of making sure that an overclocking failure caused by running your CPU outside of it's guaranteed specification limits does not put you into a reboot loop where you need to doctor your phone to recover it, then we will implement that solution for saving the CPU scaling parameter settings across a reboot.

-- Rod
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by hofs1 View Post
    So what happens to clock speed while in screen off mode BUT doing exchange sync and the 5min polling used by Youview for voicemail checking. will it stay at 500mhz or scale to 800mhz even though the screen is off.
    My understanding is that while the screen is off, the CPU will either be sleeping at 0MHz or running at 500MHz, but I will defer to Marco for the definitive answer on that.

The screenstate kernel patch is at git.webos-internals.org Git - kernels/patches.git/blob - screenstate/screenstate.patch if anyone wants to check the logic for themselves - it's just under 200 lines of code.

-- Rod
    Can you list benefits of the 1.4.1.1 (or 1.4.1) kernel over the 1.4.0? I know that internal CPU temperature reading is one, but what are the others? I'm trying to see what benefits there are of this.

Also, I notice Uberkernel is shown in my apps...is that supposed to be?

Oh and everytime I reboot, even though I've hit save a million times, screenstate setting is 125/800. Figured you might want to know this bug. I keep saving it at 500/800. What's the point of save if it does not save? LOL
    Check the instructions in the first post for adding the WebOS Internals testing feed.

-- Rod
    Thanks, I missed the part about updating the web feeds. My bad.

So, now, I have Uber-Kernel and Govnah installed, but, when I click on Uber-Kernel, it just comes up to a minimized card and the penguin glows repeatedly. Did I misunderstand? Doesn't the Uber-Kernal open up like the Super Kernal app?
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Does on TouchStone screenoff count as screen on or screen off?

Awesome work guys!
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    So, now, I have Uber-Kernel and Govnah installed, but, when I click on Uber-Kernel, it just comes up to a minimized card and the penguin glows repeatedly. Did I misunderstand? Doesn't the Uber-Kernal open up like the Super Kernal app?
    No, once the Uber-Kernel is installed, and you've rebooted, then you're ready for Govnah to dynamically control your device. There is no need for a secondary app to install and uninstall kernels - that's what Preware is for.

We'll add some niceties to the Uber-Kernel icon to guide people in the future if they happen to click on it.

-- Rod
Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast