Page 18 of 56 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerkang View Post
    I notice lag w/ the camera and also random lags here and there. I'm going to see if a different setting (conservative) works better for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfrock66 View Post
    Edit: I think there are a lot of people that have never used open-source, bleeding edge, beta software before, and some of the feedback seems like it comes across as insulting. This is a beta program being pieced together, and we're helping them test. To say "this isn't as good as something else" is a waste of time, rude, and unhelpful. If you can only deal with tightly controlled finished products, go buy an iphone, using this kernel now and giving constructive feedback is what will make it a better kernel in the near future.
    Just to echo some of the other comments so far, I've been running Screenstate 500/800. I previously used other kernels and subjectively this one indeed has seemed just a bit laggy at times in general usage compared to previous 800mhz only option I used previously. Likewise I regularly encounter the specific camera lag issue.

By no means is this meant to be insulting or viewed as complaining. I fully understand the beta nature of these kernel and applications. But I did think it was important to confirm that my particular Pre Plus is experiencing some of the same issues that others have reported to perhaps identify a trend.

Personally I find it particularly interesting because as I understand it all the kernel work (SPK, Uber) has been done by Unixpsycho and theoretically I would expect there to be little differences in it. It is more packaging/interaction with the kernel where the differences really manifest themselves. The only other difference is 1.4.0 vs 1.4.1.1. But now I am well outside my technical knowledge. In any event I could be wrong.

PS. I can provide any additional details the developers would find helpful.
    Thank you Rod for your post #339 in this thread where you answered pastorrich1's questions. It was very informative.
  3.    #343  
    Quote Originally Posted by KCTraveler View Post
    I fully understand the beta nature of these kernel and applications. But I did think it was important to confirm that my particular Pre Plus is experiencing some of the same issues that others have reported to perhaps identify a trend.

Personally I find it particularly interesting because as I understand it all the kernel work (SPK, Uber) has been done by Unixpsycho and theoretically I would expect there to be little differences in it. It is more packaging/interaction with the kernel where the differences really manifest themselves. The only other difference is 1.4.0 vs 1.4.1.1.
    Agreed.

It is the Linux kernel source code which controls the behaviour of the device, and the Govnah application allows the configuration of that kernel code to be set in many various ways. But once the configuration is set, the actual operation is up to the kernel code.

Now, apart from the addition of the screenstate governor, the kernel code in that area is actually *identical* in all overclocking solutions of any kind ever released for the Palm Pre (the differences between webOS 1.4.0 and webOS 1.4.1 are in other areas, like the keyboard driver). You can prove this for yourself by doing a source code comparison between the two kernel sources from Palm and the two versions of the overclocking patch from unixpsycho.

Add into that mix the fact that each individual device will operate differently when used outside of it's guaranteed specification limits and each device is likely to have had a different history of installations and uninstallations, some of which do not do a very good job of cleaning up after themselves.

That is why it is a shared journey to find out why the reports of good performance from some people are diametrically conflicting with reports of bad performance from other people. Each of these reports need to be carefully and objectively broken down to identify commonalities and differences, and even then you cannot expect to get a 100% correlation.

So to expect the developers to jump to action based on a single experience report is to have unrealistic expectations. If such a report comes from a device which has been freshly webOS Doctored, has never had any other overclocking-related items applied to it, and can be replicated by a number of people, then it will go to the top of the list for analysis.

Note that we still welcome all such experience reports (as that is the only way that subtle trends or corner cases will be identified), as long as the people making the reports are mindful of the above.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    this is probably a stupid question, but why can't i overclock to 800mhz,it only tops out 600mhz
    Quote Originally Posted by tacony View Post
    this is probably a stupid question, but why can't i overclock to 800mhz,it only tops out 600mhz
    well did you install the uberkernel and govnah or the SPK. And then did you do a complete cellphone restart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    it's an entrance test. they only want testers that can figure that out (grin)
    There is a How-To only for preware, but i cant use preware, (wifi broken) i have to use webos quickinstall...

best regards.
  7.    #347  
    Quote Originally Posted by mebe View Post
    There is a How-To only for preware, but i cant use preware, (wifi broken) i have to use webos quickinstall...
    The webos-kernels feed can be found at http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-kernels/

Make sure you are using WOSQI 3.12 or later.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The webos-kernels feed can be found at Index of /feeds/webos-kernels/

Make sure you are using WOSQI 3.12 or later.

-- Rod
    Hey, i use WOSQI 3.12. And have the Webos 1.4.1 on my Pre. Should i use the 1.4.1 or 1.4.1.1 kernel.

But have tried both wit wosqi and get e error message.
    http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9765/kernel.jpg

What i have done wrong?
  9.    #349  
    Quote Originally Posted by mebe View Post
    Hey, i use WOSQI 3.12. And have the Webos 1.4.1 on my Pre. Should i use the 1.4.1 or 1.4.1.1 kernel.

But have tried both wit wosqi and get e error message.
    [url]

What i have done wrong?
    Dunno - you'll need to get Preware working if WOSQI isn't working for you.

-- Rod
    Hm okay. then i have to take gauarantee claim. Because wifi is broken.

anyway thank you for the help.
    Just to add a couple of things. I used SuperPreKernel from the beginning. It worked okay for me. I switched last week because I have Verizon and did have double-typing problems. I am using the screenstate setting.

U-K fixed the double typing (as noted in a number of posts because of the 1.4.1.1 kernel being used by U-K). However, to me, the U-K seems snappier. I haven't had any camera problems like some others, or lagginess.

Also, it seemed that using SPK, I and others had a delay when pressing the power button until the screen turned on, sometimes even causing a reset. I don't have this with U-K and have not had a reset since I started using it. Of course, it could be the updated 1.4.1.1 kernel, but overall, I am super happy after about 5 days.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I just installed the uber-kernel yesterday. I have had no issues with lag and it seems to run just as good as any of the other kernels did. What I love about this one is that you can install and uninstall through preware. There is one issue that I'm having. I've tried searching but can't seem to find any mention of it any where. I use my phone a lot in the car. I have an hour commute everyday and use the music player. I have the no auto off while charging patch installed. It's always worked like a champ. Since I have installed the uber-kernel, my screen locks while on the touchstone. It's not a huge deal, just an extra step if I want to skip a song or something. I'm just curious if this has been addressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by tacony View Post
    you need to erase the uber kernel,apply webos recovery patch 1.4.1 and then re-apply uber again. Something went wrong during the downloading the uber-kernel. Good luck.
  14.    #354  
    To all those people who installed the Uber-Kernel before it was available in the default Preware feeds, and still have the WebOS Internals Testing Feeds enabled, you may wish to disable those feeds at this point in time.

To do so, just access the Manage Feeds page in Preware, and turn off the webosinternals-testing feeds. Do not turn off the normal webos-internals feed, as you will need that to get future public updates of Preware, Uber-Kernel and Govnah.

Sometime in the next 24 hours, there is likely to be a new alpha testing version of the Uber-Kernel containing improved screenstate governor transition detection. If you happen to leave the testing feeds enabled, you may end up being involved in alpha testing when you may prefer waiting for the public release of the updated version.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    qustion, if i use this uber 3rd gen. , and use cpuscalerultimate with it, will my pre goto 500 while on touchstone ? thanks
    mine does
    I have had overnight to kind of let some of last nights Q & A simmer in my thoughts.

So in summary...

1. All of the kernel coding done by unixpsycho is the same on all of the overclocked kernels (UK and SPK)... which can be demonstrated by comparison.

2. The order of operations is different (ie. boot then overclock vs. overclock during boot) between UK and SPK... the possible effects on performance/stability are not known at this time (excluding of course an AUPT)

3. The ability for the order of operations to be different at boot is due to a binary modification of the Palm LunaSysMgr program which if left in place during an AUPT could bork your Pre.

The previous overclocking solutions did this by making a binary modification to the Palm LunaSysMgr program in the same package which deployed the kernel.... Note that this modification is *not* removed if you simply install the recovery Palm Kernel, which is why I ask people to go back to the maintainer of their previous overclocking solution to get it completely removed before using the Uber-Kernel.

-- Rod
    But does it remove properly if the kernel was uninstalled using the SPK app, then the SPK app uninstalled using preware?

Now for a little logic...

So IF in fact the modded LunaSysMgr is the only significant difference between using UK and SPK, AND the modded LunaSysMgr is still present in the system for anyone who has used the latest iteration of SPK without either doctoring or getting instructions to remove it, THEN, wouldn't we expect to see it still providing whatever effects good or bad, perceived or real with any kernel using the same coding?

Lastly, I have seen talk of checking the MD5 (?) checksums to compare files and ensure you have the proper Palm LunaSysMgr installed. Can someone provide some quick and dirty instructions (or a link to some) that an average user (who had previously used SPK) could use to see whether theirs is correct or needs attention (preferably not from the Doctor)?

Thanks in advance.
  17.    #357  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    qustion, if i use this uber 3rd gen. , and use cpuscalerultimate with it, will my pre goto 500 while on touchstone ? thanks
    That would depend upon what settings you are able to choose using cpuscalerultimate.

I don't believe it is able to select the screenstate governor, so you willl be unable to experience any of the functionality provided by that new governor.

I believe it uses the ondemand and userspace governors (since those are the only two supported by the SPK), and neither of those have any specific touchstone detection logic in them.

-- Rod
  18.    #358  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I have had overnight to kind of let some of last nights Q & A simmer in my thoughts.

So in summary...

1. All of the kernel coding done by unixpsycho is the same on all of the overclocked kernels (UK and SPK)... which can be demonstrated by comparison.

2. The order of operations is different (ie. boot then overclock vs. overclock during boot) between UK and SPK... the possible effects on performance/stability are not known at this time (excluding of course an AUPT)

3. The ability for the order of operations to be different at boot is due to a binary modification of the Palm LunaSysMgr program which if left in place during an AUPT could bork your Pre.
    All correct. Whether #3 would in fact bork your Pre or not is theoretical at the moment, but the principle has been proven time and again with respect to patches.

But does it remove properly if the kernel was uninstalled using the SPK app, then the SPK app uninstalled using preware?
    You would need to ask the SPK maintainer that question.

Now for a little logic...

So IF in fact the modded LunaSysMgr is the only significant difference between using UK and SPK, AND the modded LunaSysMgr is still present in the system for anyone who has used the latest iteration of SPK without either doctoring or getting instructions to remove it, THEN, wouldn't we expect to see it still providing whatever effects good or bad, perceived or real with any kernel using the same coding?
    That looks to be a correct logical inference. The /etc/event.d/PmNetConfigManager file is another possible difference.

Lastly, I have seen talk of checking the MD5 (?) checksums to compare files and ensure you have the proper Palm LunaSysMgr installed. Can someone provide some quick and dirty instructions (or a link to some) that an average user (who had previously used SPK) could use to see whether theirs is correct or needs attention (preferably not from the Doctor)?
    The file /md5sum on your device holds all the md5sums of all the files that Palm has installed via initial doctor and OTA updates.

So "grep LunaSysMgr /md5sums" will show you what the md5sum should be, and "md5sum /usr/bin/LunaSysMgr" will check what it is.

This is what I get on my device:
    Code:
    root@palm-webos-device:/# grep LunaSysMgr /md5sums 
    86c76b008d9812637d0cac6aea3b32ee *./usr/lib/libLunaSysMgrIpc.so
    8332a5dfd5df08ec5dbe8aecb79882e1 *./usr/bin/LunaSysMgr
    cbc4e1c8da94d7c106dd3356d5455714 *./etc/event.d/LunaSysMgr
    root@palm-webos-device:/# md5sum /usr/bin/LunaSysMgr 
    8332a5dfd5df08ec5dbe8aecb79882e1  /usr/bin/LunaSysMgr
    root@palm-webos-device:/# grep PmNetConfigManager /md5sums 
    8c5306b0ffdb9144dedcfb0fdc2a0a22 *./usr/bin/PmNetConfigManager
    2edc15faf767d2c251559c9626e5703a *./etc/event.d/PmNetConfigManager
    root@palm-webos-device:/# md5sum /etc/event.d/PmNetConfigManager 
    2edc15faf767d2c251559c9626e5703a  /etc/event.d/PmNetConfigManager
    -- Rod
    To all those people who installed the Uber-Kernel before it was available in the default Preware feeds, and still have the WebOS Internals Testing Feeds enabled, you may wish to disable those feeds at this point in time.

To do so, just access the Manage Feeds page in Preware, and turn off the webosinternals-testing feeds. Do not turn off the normal webos-internals feed, as you will need that to get future public updates of Preware, Uber-Kernel and Govnah.

Sometime in the next 24 hours, there is likely to be a new alpha testing version of the Uber-Kernel containing improved screenstate governor transition detection. If you happen to leave the testing feeds enabled, you may end up being involved in alpha testing when you may prefer waiting for the public release of the updated version.

-- Rod
    Hmm. I started Preware and saw an update for UK, which I installed, but I had testing feeds open. The one I installed appears to be v. 1.41-13. Is that the alpha testing version? Not interested in that; should I remove and reinstall from standard WebOS feed?
  20.    #360  
    See http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2423919 for details of the new alpha testing version (1.4.1-16) of the Uber-Kernel.

-- Rod