Page 16 of 56 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mebe View Post
    The files are set as private. where can i downoad it ???
    Wrong Kernel.... the SPK links you refer to are no longer being supported.

Uber Kernel and Govnah are available in the WebOS internals testing feeds. There are numerous places to find how to add those to preware throughout the forums and even in this thread (try the first post, that is always the best place to start).
    Once again, great work webOS-Internals! Donated
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Hello,

Just a quick question if anyone has any idea what might cause a significant drain on the battery. The only thing that has changed on my phone in the last few days is I removed SPK, reduced the brightness from 40 to 21 and installed UberKernel.

All seemed well until lastnight when I dropped the brightness. I unplugged my phone at 8:00 am listened to 30 minutes of a podcast ( audio only ) and sent 10 txt messages and by 11:30 I am at 56%.

Typically I would be at that level after some heavy txting and web surfing by about 2:30 PM.

Any thought would be greatly appreciated.

Take Care
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I tried both SPK 800 and Uber-Kernel with various settings and noticed that the battery consumption with Uber-Kernel seemed to be much higher than the SPK; 2-2.5% with SPK 800 vs. 4% with Uber-Kernel screenstate, both idle.

This might be due to the variances in each device's processor, but theoretically the screenstate should result in better battery performance than the SPK 800?... Has anyone experienced this? I'll keep testing the battery drain with different settings and post the results.
    Quote Originally Posted by st0921 View Post
    I tried both SPK 800 and Uber-Kernel with various settings and noticed that the battery consumption with Uber-Kernel seemed to be much higher than the SPK; 2-2.5% with SPK 800 vs. 4% with Uber-Kernel screenstate, both idle.

This might be due to the variances in each device's processor, but theoretically the screenstate should result in better battery performance than the SPK 800?... Has anyone experienced this? I'll keep testing the battery drain with different settings and post the results.

My personal experience to date has been that any scaling setting with any kernel or scaliling app results in higher battery/proc temp and shorter battery life than a static 800 MHz setting does.

I am currently running the screen state setting to see how it impacts those things. So far, heat has not been an issue. The jury is still out on battery life.

I have a TS at work so I could leave it on there most of the day, but that doesn't help when I am out and about away from my desk with no charging source for the day.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    My personal experience to date has been that any scaling setting with any kernel or scaliling app results in higher battery/proc temp and shorter battery life than a static 800 MHz setting does.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. It's interesting that the theory behind the scaling does not correspond to the actual results... given that the whole point of implementing the screenstate is to conserve the battery life. Would it be possible that the battery consumes more when scaling the frequencies back and forth?
    Has anyone "felt" that the performance of Unerkernel and SPK are different? I know they are supposed to be the same thing, but I swear that my phone is slower using the UberKernel (although it's still fast enough).

scrolling around the launcher pages just seems not as smooth. App loading feels about the same. I don't have the resources to do a lot of controlled testing, so this is just my perception. Anyone else have that same perception, or an explanation?

Also, I am using the screen-state settings with 500 min and 800 max.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Has anyone "felt" that the performance of Unerkernel and SPK are different? I know they are supposed to be the same thing, but I swear that my phone is slower using the UberKernel (although it's still fast enough).!
    I have notice that it feels slower as well. The only real sign that it is slower that I have seen is sometimes ( 1 out of 10 times approx ) when i swipe up to close something it will go half way off the screen hang for a half sec then continue on it's way.

I have it set as screenstate 500 to 800 as well.

Take Care
    Can someone clarify some questions for me?
    1-if I run SPK 800 mhz without CPU scaler, what does the phone do when at idle for several hours? Does the cpu still run full blast or does it idle down? Is it hard on the phone? My understanding is the Scaler is strictly to save battery power. Does it also save wear and tear on the phone, or is it OK to run SPK 800 mhz withouut a scaler. Battery consumption is not an issue with me.

I am not a heavy user, use a Seidio 2600 battery, and can go 2 days without charging.

Thanks
    Ok, I installed the Uber-Kernel and the Govnah with Preware. I opened up the Govnah app and set it to "on demand" and set the min. speed at 500hz and the max speed at 720hz (my Pre is almost a year old) and then ran a battery test polling every 30 minutes while my Pre was idle (GPS on/wifi on/email set to check every 15 min.) and my battery drain per hour was 0.87%, wow, really impressive. I will do an overnight test, but here is a screen shot of a short battery monitor test I just completed:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xalasten View Post
    I have notice that it feels slower as well. The only real sign that it is slower that I have seen is sometimes ( 1 out of 10 times approx ) when i swipe up to close something it will go half way off the screen hang for a half sec then continue on it's way.

I have it set as screenstate 500 to 800 as well.

Take Care
    I see slowness when swiping between launcher pages, and when scrolling up/down in a launcher page. Of course, I have 6 pages and LOTS of apps.

Does anyone know if there are "optimal" limits for number of apps per page and number of pages?

I find organizing launcher pages is a pain in the neck (please someone make a patch that lets us do it in lists/categories like PalmOS...)

Any suggestions?
    I guess this is where you post any quirks with the Govnah app, I just noticed with the setting at "ondemand" and playing the music app with BT on that the music skips, when I switch the setting to "conservative" the music plays fine. Anyone else observe this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Has anyone "felt" that the performance of Unerkernel and SPK are different? I know they are supposed to be the same thing, but I swear that my phone is slower using the UberKernel (although it's still fast enough).

scrolling around the launcher pages just seems not as smooth. App loading feels about the same. I don't have the resources to do a lot of controlled testing, so this is just my perception. Anyone else have that same perception, or an explanation?

Also, I am using the screen-state settings with 500 min and 800 max.

Thanks!

Very much so. I don't like UberKernel's performance at all. UnixPsycho's kernel was considerably smoother. Even simple things like swiping the new mail notification away and stutter with Uber, or scrolling the launcher. The camera lag issue only *seemed* to exist with Uber as well, or reading an email and <---- swiping to go back to my Inbox will often times (5 out of ten maybe) sit on the fade in between my Inbox and the current mail.

I'd go back to UnixPsycho's but, it's based on an old kernel version and he's not working on it at all anymore. So I either have to live with 500MHz, or play around with Uber, but have a good amount of lag and stuttering in many places. I have it set 800/500/ScreenState as well.

I dunno. It's a hard choice.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Very much so. I don't like UberKernel's performance at all. UnixPsycho's kernel was considerably smoother. Even simple things like swiping the new mail notification away and stutter with Uber, or scrolling the launcher. The camera lag issue only *seemed* to exist with Uber as well, or reading an email and <---- swiping to go back to my Inbox will often times (5 out of ten maybe) sit on the fade in between my Inbox and the current mail.

I'd go back to UnixPsycho's but, it's based on an old kernel version and he's not working on it at all anymore. So I either have to live with 500MHz, or play around with Uber, but have a good amount of lag and stuttering in many places. I have it set 800/500/ScreenState as well.

I dunno. It's a hard choice.

M.
    Keep in mind that unixpsycho also did this kernel. I think there are still a few kinks to iron out regarding the screen state setting. I notice lag w/ the camera and also random lags here and there. I'm going to see if a different setting (conservative) works better for now.
    << edited by berd >>

Personally, I have had the battery temp warning go off when I'm not even overclocking. The phone tends to get very hot when charging on the Touchstone (especially in the car on a sunny dashboard). It heats up when you are on a phone call for extended periods. There are many things that will cause your phone to heat up. Obviously, overclocking will not help and will probably tend to heat up the CPU *more* but this is a known risk and the CPU temp monitor built into Govnah is there to help you monitor your phone's CPU temp.

I have not noticed any abnormal increase in CPU temp as a result of this new kernel. Sitting idle and charging (via USB cable), my CPU temp is currently 34 degrees C. I have seen it go above 50 degrees, but I've also seen this when not overclocking.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 05/04/2010 at 03:55 PM.
    I'm noticing way improved battery life. I use 500/800 screenstate. I was initially worried since I kept my brightness at 1% and now it's 20%, but during the day it's a bluetooth podcaster sitting on my desk with the screen off and I'm dropping less than 10% an hour (with the phone and data and gps antennas off.) Typically for me I was losing 20%+ an hour. 300Mhz an hour idle is apparently a huge drain, the battery used to last from about 8-12:30. Now it's easily all day.

I LONG for the day we can have lower screen brightness and scaling to 250/125 (I know I can set it, but "cat /proc/cpuinfo" shows 500). For now though, it is working well; I do believe that on switching states there's about 10 seconds of lagginess, then it catches up.

Edit: I think there are a lot of people that have never used open-source, bleeding edge, beta software before, and some of the feedback seems like it comes across as insulting. This is a beta program being pieced together, and we're helping them test. To say "this isn't as good as something else" is a waste of time, rude, and unhelpful. If you can only deal with tightly controlled finished products, go buy an iphone, using this kernel now and giving constructive feedback is what will make it a better kernel in the near future.

Again, let me know if you're collecting diagnostics.
    Root to your Pre in Ubuntu: http://www.surfrock66.com/?p=600
    Quote Originally Posted by st0921 View Post

I think this could be related to the whole discussion of whether the Pre is actually using less battery overall when constantly overclocked (b/c it gets processes done faster) vs. having it sit at 500mhz. Sitting at 500mhz may be better for the CPU when loads are light, but it may take a toll on the battery life b/c the processor is active *that* much longer. On a related note, maybe the processor's overall strain is LESS when you have it set to 720 or 800mhz, since it finishes processes faster and goes to idle faster, resulting in better battery life. ????? I wonder what is true....

One good thing is that we have choices and can play w/ the different settings to see which ones work best for our individual habits.
    I'm going to try the "conservative" setting now and see if that gives me better results than the screen state setting.
    Hmmm. a couple of flakey things with the screenstate setting today. I noticed things moving slower so I opened Govnah and it said userspace as my setting and 125 min 800 max. and I was running at 500 MHz So I switched it back to screen state and it said the usual 500 and 800 and had me running at 800 again.

So a couple of hours later I notice it is slow again and I check Govnah and it says "screenstate" still but has the minimum at 125 and max at 800 and me running at 500 again.

So I don't know. I haven't ran Preware or app catalog or anything out of the ordinary all day (email, txt, a couple of phone calls, comics app and that's it).

I have been running Uber and Govnah for a few days again now.

I wonder what the best way to get a fixed 800 with Govnah is?
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I wonder what the best way to get a fixed 800 with Govnah is?
    Try the "performance" setting with maximum at 800. Not sure why there is a "minimum" frequency assigned in this setting, but mine seems to run at 800 consistently with this setting. I've been running the battery drain testing for about an hour with this setting at idle, interestingly the drain per hour is at 2.11% now, much better than the screenstate of 3-4%...will keep posted.
  20.    #320  
    1) Unixpsycho has done the overclocking patch for every single overclocking kernel ever released for the Palm Pre. So when you are making comparisons between kernels (which is fine to do, if it's done in an objective and non-emotional manner) remember that you're actually comparing the same basic code, just with different default settings which you haven't changed to suit your circumstances yet.

2) If you want to replicate the configurarion of previous overclocking solutions, then use the 'performance' governor, not 'screenstate' and do your own long-term objective comparison

3) Please post questions about SPK to the maintainer of that package, not in this thread thanks.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals