Page 13 of 56 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
  1.    #241  
    Anyone interested in the facts of who should be taking the credit for Palm Pre kernel development (including the list of people involved in the Uber-Kernel and the Govnah application) should have a read of http://forums.precentral.net/showpost.php?p=2419433 especially question 8.

Note that other people not involved with the Uber-Kernel did unparalleled work on testing first generation kernels and supporting the release of those kernels amongst the wider public, and the herculian effort they put into that should not be overlooked or under-appreciated by anyone.

Even though they have decided to leave the arena of Palm Pre overclocking, they will always hold the special place of being the first to bring overclocking on the Palm Pre to the general public.

In the past, I have taken issue with their technical decisions (and still do), but have not questioned and do not question their character or motives in any way.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 05/03/2010 at 09:28 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfrock66 View Post
    I have the "screenstate governor doesn't return to the high state upon screen on" issue. I had Brightness Unlinked running at 1%, but I set it to 3% and it isn't fixing it. I'm happy to diagnose anything if someone tells me what info they need.

I tested this using novaterm with the phone hooked up, I can confirm that the INSTANT the phone sleeps the speed drops like it should, it just never comes back.
    If you increase the BU setting to 20% or higher, you should see max frequency both when the screen is on and when it dims. A setting of 19% or below will result in 500MHz when the screen dims. This is because the same variable is used to determine that the Pre is on the Touchstone.

If the frequency doesn't return to max when the screen is on, try turning the screen off&on with the power button.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    How did it come to pass that Preware did not advise you that a reboot was required when you installed the UberKernel, and did not do that for you when you hit OK?

-- Rod
    Because I don't always reboot when prompted. One example is that I have other updates to install. If I was prompted to do a reset, then I forgot and only did a Luna restart. thorne
  4.    #244  
    Quote Originally Posted by thornev View Post
    Because I don't always reboot when prompted. One example is that I have other updates to install. If I was prompted to do a reset, then I forgot and only did a Luna restart. thorne
    No worries, mate. As long as Preware is suggesting the right thing, then I'm happy

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    For a non-power user who wants decent performance without worries of heat or other issues and wants decent battery life, what kernel and settings do you suggest?

Also, can Govnah be used without installing any kernel other than the one that came with the phone? If so, what settings might help this user?

Open Source development is a tough process. Happy to see us emerging from this storming phase...

Thanks for all that you are doing!

- Craig
    how come my post never seem to get a comment or answer have I been black listed or something?
    http://forums.precentral.net/2418502-post204.html
    Quote Originally Posted by bodyshop View Post
    how come my post never seem to get a comment or answer have I been black listed or something?
    http://forums.precentral.net/2418502-post204.html
    Probably because your question is Off-Topic.

This thread is talking about static scaling from 500 and 800. This governor will not allow anything under 500.

You can try this kernel and select a governor of your choice that will allow low clock speeds.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbyboy View Post
    I had the uNiXpSyChO, Kernel on the phone, put the stock kernel on, then the Uber-Kernel with Govnah. It is all working fine, but I now notice again that I see the screen unlock bug - When unlocking the slider, I don't see the splash screen, I see what is running with the slide to unlock ball on top. Is anyone else seeing this? I thought that bug was fixed with the 1.4.1 Kernel?
    I started seeing this today as well! WTH?! I even see it on my TouchStone...no more clock with unlock icon; just the unlock icon over my desktop or whatever I was running last.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    1) Record this question and answer in the UberKernel wiki page
    2) Open Preware
    3) Uninstall Govnah and UberKernel
    4) Hit OK when Preware asks to reboot your phone.

-- Rod
    Thanks!

I have never edited a wiki, but I did it! So, it is now under the FAQ section.
    Quote Originally Posted by PookiePrancer View Post
    I started seeing this today as well! WTH?! I even see it on my TouchStone...no more clock with unlock icon; just the unlock icon over my desktop or whatever I was running last.
    Just do a reset and that should fix it. My phone acts buggy like this sometimes. I don't think it is due to this overclocking kernel mod, but more likely a bug from 1.4?
    There have been a bunch of posts about this issue--but I can't remember if it got fixed after 1.4.1.1 or if it still exists. It will probably go away w/ the next WebOS update later this month (or early June).
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerkang View Post
    Just do a reset and that should fix it. My phone acts buggy like this sometimes. I don't think it is due to this overclocking kernel mod, but more likely a bug from 1.4?
    There have been a bunch of posts about this issue--but I can't remember if it got fixed after 1.4.1.1 or if it still exists. It will probably go away w/ the next WebOS update later this month (or early June).
    thanks! I'll do that. Just makes you wonder when you see hiccups like this after a mod like these patches (which, btw, I'm absolutely living!)
    Quote Originally Posted by pslag1 View Post
    If you increase the BU setting to 20% or higher, you should see max frequency both when the screen is on and when it dims. A setting of 19% or below will result in 500MHz when the screen dims. This is because the same variable is used to determine that the Pre is on the Touchstone.

If the frequency doesn't return to max when the screen is on, try turning the screen off&on with the power button.
    Ok, that took care of it. Now I just wish I could do 250-800, with my brightness at 1%. Thanks dude.
    Root to your Pre in Ubuntu: http://www.surfrock66.com/?p=600
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Hi

I installed the kernel today, set it at 800, and I did notice quite some speed increase, but I have a problem: I checked the frecuency after turning on the screen manually and found it back to 500 with governor set as screenstate and min and max values 500 and 800... This has happened evrey time Ive checked

Could it be because I have a spanish pre?

Thanks for the help
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    For a non-power user who wants decent performance without worries of heat or other issues and wants decent battery life, what kernel and settings do you suggest?

Also, can Govnah be used without installing any kernel other than the one that came with the phone? If so, what settings might help this user?

Open Source development is a tough process. Happy to see us emerging from this storming phase...

Thanks for all that you are doing!

- Craig
    I would recommend installing the uber kernel and also Govnah and set Govnah to "screen state" so that it runs the pre at 800mhz when the screen is on and 500mhz at all other times.
    You can add them via Preware. Just follow the directions on the first post of the thread.

Make sure (if you use Brightness Unlinked or the reduce minimum brightness patch) that your lowest setting is no lower than about 3 or 4. You can play w/ Govnah to see which screen brightness level allows it to still go to 800mhz when the phone screen is turned on.

I've had a few lockups (temporary) and one or two luna restarts, but nothing bad.
    Any particular reason that uberkernal has a icon on the launcher? its kinda startin to annoy me.
    Quote Originally Posted by h3artl3ss View Post
    Any particular reason that uberkernal has a icon on the launcher? its kinda startin to annoy me.
    Just ignore it for now.
    I think it's there b/c you are able to delete it from the launcher using the option+tap to delete if you are using the alpha version of the latest Preware. It also shows that it is installed on your phone, so I kind of like it.
    I see, I just thought it would be like package manager and disappear after a restart.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerkang View Post
    Just ignore it for now.
    I think it's there b/c you are able to delete it from the launcher using the option+tap to delete if you are using the alpha version of the latest Preware. It also shows that it is installed on your phone, so I kind of like it.
    This is correct.

Anyone who is experimenting with kernels frequently can tell you that it is easy to lose track of which kernel you are running at any given moment, since nothing about the UI changes. This is a simple way to show which kernel you have running without having to go into command line and look at the kernel files themselves.

The orange + tap to uninstall is a valuable safety feature as well as it is possible that you could install/configure a kernel in such a way that loading the full PreWare app to uninstall it would be difficult or impossible. The orange + tap method can be used straight from the launcher and doesn't require the full Preware app running. This is an important part of making OTA kernel installation safe for users.
    I updated govnah using preware earlier and now, It doesn't display the temperature when I go to launcher. Was that meant to happen with the update, I have govnah 0.2.5. Thanks in advance

nevermind, I just read the govnah thread, it's done intentionally. Too bad, I kind of liked that feature. Maybe in the future it can be updated to update temp when you pull up the launcher.
    Last edited by Heclaboy82; 05/03/2010 at 01:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heclaboy82 View Post
    I updated govnah using preware earlier and now, It doesn't display the temperature when I go to launcher. Was that meant to happen with the update, I have govnah 0.2.5. Thanks in advance

nevermind, I just read the govnah thread, it's done intentionally. Too bad, I kind of liked that feature. Maybe in the future it can be updated to update temp when you pull up the launcher.
    You can enable it via Preferences.
    (I.e., Govnah [top left] / Preferences)