Page 12 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'm not entirely sure this is kernel related or not, because I do have a few applications set to run in the background. That being said, right now I'm using screenstate governor cycling between 800MHz and 500MHz, and I have to wonder. Has anyone else had major camera app slowdown? It took maybe 45 seconds before it got to a state where I could take the first picture. Again, could be another cause, haven't had the time to explore further yet.
    I run UberKernel in screenstate at 250/800 and I observe no performance problems with the camera app. thorne
    Maybe the skimmers will notice this if it's big and bright enough:

Tapping the "Uber-kernel" icon does not do anything. If you see it in your launcher, Uber-kernel is already installed and running!

The icon serves two purposes. First, it lets you know at a glance which kernel you have installed, without having to muck around in a terminal app. Second, it allows the kernel to be uninstalled from the launcher via the orange + tap method, providing you have a version of Preware that supports it (Currently only Preware Alpha, but soon to be in general release.)
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    So, if I'm running this and want to uninstall and go back to stock, how do I do it and what is the sequence?
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
    Tapping the "Uber-kernel" icon does not do anything. If you see it in your launcher, Uber-kernel is already installed and running!
    With one exception... after you install UberKernel, it's not running until after you do a reset (opt + sym + R), not just a Luna restart. I found this out the hard way. thorne
  5.    #225  
    Quote Originally Posted by dndrich View Post
    So, if I'm running this and want to uninstall and go back to stock, how do I do it and what is the sequence?
    1) Record this question and answer in the UberKernel wiki page
    2) Open Preware
    3) Uninstall Govnah and UberKernel
    4) Hit OK when Preware asks to reboot your phone.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 05/02/2010 at 11:32 PM.
  6.    #226  
    Quote Originally Posted by thornev View Post
    With one exception... after you install UberKernel, it's not running until after you do a reset (opt + sym + R), not just a Luna restart. I found this out the hard way. thorne
    How did it come to pass that Preware did not advise you that a reboot was required when you installed the UberKernel, and did not do that for you when you hit OK?

-- Rod
    Anyone else notice that when you touch the screen after it goes dim (not dark) that the CPU speed stays at 500MHz with screenstate until you press the power button for screen off/on? I've been watching stats through quickinstall command line.
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    FYI: Do not set the screen brightness to 0 or anywhere near the lowest setting.

Weird things will happen; like CPU speed sticking to 500 while LCD is on, or CPU speed inverting.

This is all due to the Touchstone charging method and how it sets the phone.

I hope to have a fix/workaround soon.
    Hi uNiXpSyChO,

I finally got back to testing the screenstate governor with the brightness issue(s).

This may have already been noted, but I found that the 'inverse behavior' is likely related to the 'No Auto-Off While Charging' patch. (org.webosinternals.patches.screen-lock-no-auto-off-while-charging). When installed, the frequency jumps to MAX when the screen goes off *and* running on battery. If charging via USB, the frequency behavior is correct (i.e., stays at 500). I haven't had the chance to test w/Touchstone.

o Had the patch installed and was getting the incorrect behavior.
    o Removed the patch... screenstate worked correctly.
    o Re-installed the patch... incorrect behavior returned: max CPU when screen off (and on battery). No settings had been made yet via Screen&Lock. I then changed the setting for 'Auto-Off While Charging' from On to Off. No difference... still got max cpu when screen off.
    o Removed one last time... all is well.

EDIT: I no longer think it's the No Auto-Off While Charging patch. More testing and the issue came back for me. Apologies to JasonR for tossing suspicion onto his patch.
    The only thing I can definitively say is that there's a relationship between running off battery or charger. Charger? it works great. Battery? YMMV.

/EDIT

FWIW, for those running the BrightnessUnlimited (BU) app, the display level threshhold is 20. 19 or below in BU yields a value of '1' in the brightness variable when the screen dims, which makes the frequency drop to 500.

Personally, I don't see this as a big deal as the screen will usually be going off soon anyway. However, until uNiXpSyChO develops some logic for this, if you touch the screen to activate, then you are probably running at freq=500. Turning the screen off/on with the power button should return the freq to max.

EDIT: Note that this is *only* an issue when touching the screen when dimmed. If it goes off and you turn on via power button or slider, the frequency correctly returns to max. Again, for me anyway.
    /EDIT:

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by pslag1; 05/03/2010 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Correction
    Question, I notice that after a reboot that the phone is back to 500mhz.

I remember reading that you had to go back and do a usergroup after a reboot to get it to run back at 800mhz.

Did I read this incorrectly?

Will this be fixed, because in the middle of the night I have my phone rebooting and I would have to remember each morning to go into the Govnah to reapply the settings all over again. Not something I wish to pay attention to.

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Ok, that was it, I had to install Govnah as well!

Thank you!

I have one more question, which I will try and see if its posted in the thread.

I thought I had read that you can install both Govnah and CPUScalerUltimate and use both?

Is that true?

Rob
    Use one or the other, not both. Although they both talk to the same set of kernel instructions there may be some unanticipated conflicts with both running.

If you do run with Govnah (which has more config options than CPUscaler) then just open it, select what settings you want and then close it again.....due to the fact that Govnah writes data into the memory of the phone, when open, it will eventually fill up the memory and cause a crash. So, to put it simply, open Govnah...select the settings...click save...then close Govnah...the settings will have taken place and the kernel will now be responding as indicated by the new settings.

If you are running with CPUscaler, then just select the scaling range, that is it for CPUscaler. You could leave CPUscaler running in the background, but it isn't collecting data and once the settings are invoked by the kernel then having the CPUscaler running will not accomplish anything.

One other point, if your phone requires a reboot or it reboots itself then you will have to restart the scaler application to initiate the overclocking.
  11.    #231  
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post
    If you do run with Govnah (which has more config options than CPUscaler) then just open it, select what settings you want and then close it again.....due to the fact that Govnah writes data into the memory of the phone, when open, it will eventually fill up the memory and cause a crash.
    Govnah 0.2.5 has just been released, and it now stores the last 300 samples (5 minutes if you're sampling every second) in memory and discards the rest. So you now should be able to leave Govnah open for as long as you like.

To update Govnah, simply open Preware and Update Feeds and you should see Govnah appear in the Package Updates list. Simply hit Update to get the new version. You do not need to uninstall anything.

See http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...01-govnah.html for more details (Govnah now has it's own official thread).

Note that we also announce Govnah releases on the @webosinternals twitter account (which you can follow as an RSS feed at http://twitter.com/statuses/user_timeline/64349812.rss if you don't use Twitter).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  12.    #232  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Volunteers wanted!

We're looking for volunteers to create documentation for the UberKernel and an FAQ section on this page:

Application:UberKernel - WebOS Internals

If you have asked a question, and had it answered in this thread, it is your community obligation to add it to the wiki page so that we can reduce the support overhead on the developers (so that they can keep adding new features instead of re-answering the same questions).

That page is a wiki page, so anyone can create an account there (no approval by anyone else is needed) and go and add the question and answer. Please be bold, and contribute the knowledge you have gained from this thread.

Feel free just to cut and paste questions and answers from the thread directly - anyone can do this, you don't need to be the person who asked the question or gave the answer.

If anyone has good wiki editing skills, please take the initiative and make it a good looking page too But the important thing is to get the content there first, in any form, as I am sure there are many people who will be happy to go in later and make it look pretty.

If you've ever wanted to show your appreciation for the developers of these packages, creating good documentation for other users is *much* more valuable to us than donations.

Thanks!

-- Rod
    Thanks to cantstopengland and kkacatin for being the first two bold, adventurous, and extremely appreciated members of the community to start the ball rolling. They go to the head of the queue for getting new questions answered, because they took the trouble to help with the documentation.

If you too have an unanswered question, and want to also skip to the head of the queue, just go back through the thread and copy the questions and answers you find onto that wiki page. Who knows, you may even find your question answered in the process ..

Thanks to cantstopengland and kkacatin and everyone else who has just been waiting for someone to break the ice before they type up a plethora of new documentation and FAQ entries on the wiki page at Application:UberKernel - WebOS Internals

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Govnah 0.2.5 has just been released, and it now stores the last 300 samples (5 minutes if you're sampling every second) in memory and discards the rest. So you now should be able to leave Govnah open for as long as you like.

To update Govnah, simply open Preware and Update Feeds and you should see Govnah appear in the Package Updates list. Simply hit Update to get the new version. You do not need to uninstall anything.

See http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...01-govnah.html for more details (Govnah now has it's own official thread).

Note that we also announce Govnah releases on the @webosinternals twitter account (which you can follow as an RSS feed at Twitter / webosinternals if you don't use Twitter).

-- Rod
    Thanks Rod. The Twitter link will be useful!

With that update to Govnah fixing the memory issue we should start to get some accurate stats on the various settings. Fantastic work!!!
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pslag1 View Post
    EDIT: Note that this is *only* an issue when touching the screen when dimmed. If it goes off and you turn on via power button or slider, the frequency correctly returns to max. Again, for me anyway.
    Also an issue if you pull the Pre off the Touchstone after the screen has locked/dimmed.
    I had the uNiXpSyChO, Kernel on the phone, put the stock kernel on, then the Uber-Kernel with Govnah. It is all working fine, but I now notice again that I see the screen unlock bug - When unlocking the slider, I don't see the splash screen, I see what is running with the slide to unlock ball on top. Is anyone else seeing this? I thought that bug was fixed with the 1.4.1 Kernel?
    If you've ever wanted to show your appreciation for the developers of these packages, creating good documentation for other users is *much* more valuable to us than donations.

Thanks!

-- Rod
    Well, I hope you will make good use of my most recent donation anyway!

Thanks for the screenstate update to the kernel. Seems to be one of the best innovations yet IMHO for kernel development.
    Hi! First post

Looking at a Pre Plus but have heard the horror stories about battery life which is a major consideration for me and my usage patterns. My co-worker has the Pre Plus and with his "regular" usage: moderate texting and phone usage, moderate web, facebook, twitter, photos, etc., synching gmail, an IMAP account, and to our Exchange server he can't get through the day at work without charging. Another fellow IT co-worker can go all day and then plenty with similar usage pattern on his Motorola Droid fo reference.

The Uber kernel appears to be the only alternative kernel option for me currently because of the Verizon Pre Plus keyboard issue and kernel revision level.

What is my best bet to conserve battery even if it means sacrificing performance for now? My usage patterns are nearly identical to my co-worker's described above. Is there any hope I could pull my Pre Plus off the charger when I leave for work at 7AM and it run all day until I went to bed at 11PM?

Thanks and hopefully I'll be around here more often and contributing to WebOS OSS projects with a new Pre Plus in my hand soon.

-Mike
    I'm a little confused on something.

I know that one of the primary reasons for Verizon users to use this uber kernel instead of the SPK, is because of the kernel being updated for 1.4.1, and the keyboard issues they were experiencing before the update. Obviously, using the SPK designed for 1.4 probably isn't the best idea.

I'm curious as to whether or not using the SPK on a Sprint 1.4.1 phone, has any significant drawbacks? Quite obviously, the uber kernel provides a few features that the SPK does not. But is there any actual negative that can come from using the SPK as opposed to the uber kernel on a Sprint phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by stksidehi8 View Post
    I'm a little confused on something.

I know that one of the primary reasons for Verizon users to use this uber kernel instead of the SPK, is because of the kernel being updated for 1.4.1, and the keyboard issues they were experiencing before the update. Obviously, using the SPK designed for 1.4 probably isn't the best idea.

I'm curious as to whether or not using the SPK on a Sprint 1.4.1 phone, has any significant drawbacks? Quite obviously, the uber kernel provides a few features that the SPK does not. But is there any actual negative that can come from using the SPK as opposed to the uber kernel on a Sprint phone?
    I was running the final version of SPK on my Sprint 1.4.1.1 Pre with no issues at all, until the screen state feature was added to Uber Kernel. The only drawback would be with the next update. Since none of the original dev's are working SPK any longer, you would have to make a switch anyway.

The temp monitor and screen state features make Uber Kernel and Govnah a great combination. The only other tradeoff is no save state on restart. But that is the intended behavior for the time being and will help keep you safe during an OTA.
    I have the "screenstate governor doesn't return to the high state upon screen on" issue. I had Brightness Unlinked running at 1%, but I set it to 3% and it isn't fixing it. I'm happy to diagnose anything if someone tells me what info they need.

I tested this using novaterm with the phone hooked up, I can confirm that the INSTANT the phone sleeps the speed drops like it should, it just never comes back.
    Root to your Pre in Ubuntu: http://www.surfrock66.com/?p=600