Page 11 of 56 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    I'm confused, my Pre goes back down to 500 after a reboot, I have to reopen Govnah to set it back to screenstate. Any reason?
    Drove 3 hours to buy my Palm Pre on day one.
  2.    #202  
    Volunteers wanted!

We're looking for volunteers to create documentation for the UberKernel and an FAQ section on this page:

Application:UberKernel - WebOS Internals

If you have asked a question, and had it answered in this thread, it is your community obligation to add it to the wiki page so that we can reduce the support overhead on the developers (so that they can keep adding new features instead of re-answering the same questions).

That page is a wiki page, so anyone can create an account there (no approval by anyone else is needed) and go and add the question and answer. Please be bold, and contribute the knowledge you have gained from this thread.

Feel free just to cut and paste questions and answers from the thread directly - anyone can do this, you don't need to be the person who asked the question or gave the answer.

If anyone has good wiki editing skills, please take the initiative and make it a good looking page too But the important thing is to get the content there first, in any form, as I am sure there are many people who will be happy to go in later and make it look pretty.

If you've ever wanted to show your appreciation for the developers of these packages, creating good documentation for other users is *much* more valuable to us than donations.

Thanks!

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 05/02/2010 at 05:32 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by jkb2618 View Post
    Earlier in this thread I said:
    "Using screenstate with min 500 and max 720.
    When I use the power off button or if the screen goes out on it's own, upon powering back up, govnah reports that it is running at 720 as it should.
    When I put it on the touchstone with same 500/720 settings, it always powers back up reporting that I am at 500. The 500 stays until I go back in and save settings again even though it shows still that my settings are 500min/720max. "

I am also able to have is set back to fast speed by turning the display off, then back on.
    But without doing that, it stays at the lower speed after you take it off the Touchstone...
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    I've noticed that the screenstate governor's behavior on the Touchstone isn't ideal. I don't know if it's programmed to switch to its higher state only on a system wake-up. If it's sitting on the Touchstone and the screen turns off (clock mode), the processor is clocked down accordingly, but if it is unlocked with either the power button or the drag-to-unlock, slide, etc., while still on the Touchstone, it doesn't put the processor back to the fast state. Taking it off of the Touchstone, turning the display off, then back on will set it back to the fast speed.
    Just to echo these earlier post, it seems a little inconsistent but I too have this same Touchstone behavior most of the time. I'm using Screenstate 500/800 as my settings. Advise if anyone would like any additional information (ie. patches installed ect.) I am well aware that this in the early stages and this certainly isn't a complaint.

Regardless of the touchstone quirk I am super thrilled with the performance and overall ease of use with the Uber-Kernal/Govnah. I am very excited by the Screenstate settings, it seems to be the perfect blend of overclock and safety, at least for me. I previously used SuperKernal (which worked great) but being a Verizon customer I reverted back to default state and did the 1.4.1.1 update which did dramatically improve my double type problem. (Not quite 100% but well within tolerance so far.) Went with the kernel based on the latest version to ensure it did not cause any conflicts and so far (24 hours) so good!

Mucho thanks to all involved with the entire overclocking/patching business to make my Pre experience everything I would like it to be!
    Question does this kernel experience the lock ups when set to scale at 125MHz? Sorry if that problem is not Kernel specific! I found that setting of 125MHz - 720MHZ to be prime for me. I just experience phone lock-ups once a day or so, usually when im in the middle of something important. But in idle state my battery was staying at the same level for 2or more hours it seemed. When in use it was normal drain depending on usage. but the no drain while idle was phenominal.

Sorry for getting off the main Idea, does the same problem exist with this Kernel?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keegsta View Post
    I'm confused, my Pre goes back down to 500 after a reboot, I have to reopen Govnah to set it back to screenstate. Any reason?

Quote Originally Posted by fastamx79 View Post
    The settings will NOT stick (currently).. it has been mentioned a few times in this thread already. It is out of a safety issue so if you crash your phone you can reboot it without any issues

To Keegsta : Not that I am qualified to do anything other than quote what others have said, but my understanding is at least in this early phase it is designed not to have your settings stick. That way if an incompatible setting is applied and your phone stops responding it will default back to normal instead of endlessly resetting to the bad setting.
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KCTraveler View Post
    To Keegsta : Not that I am qualified to do anything other than quote what others have said, but my understanding is at least in this early phase it is designed not to have your settings stick. That way if an incompatible setting is applied and your phone stops responding it will default back to normal instead of endlessly resetting to the bad setting.
    Thanks man.
    Drove 3 hours to buy my Palm Pre on day one.
    I'm not entirely sure this is kernel related or not, because I do have a few applications set to run in the background. That being said, right now I'm using screenstate governor cycling between 800MHz and 500MHz, and I have to wonder. Has anyone else had major camera app slowdown? It took maybe 45 seconds before it got to a state where I could take the first picture. Again, could be another cause, haven't had the time to explore further yet.

I had no cards open at the same time, but as I said, a lot of things running in the background.
  8.    #208  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'm not entirely sure this is kernel related or not, because I do have a few applications set to run in the background. That being said, right now I'm using screenstate governor cycling between 800MHz and 500MHz, and I have to wonder. Has anyone else had major camera app slowdown? It took maybe 45 seconds before it got to a state where I could take the first picture. Again, could be another cause, haven't had the time to explore further yet.

I had no cards open at the same time, but as I said, a lot of things running in the background.
    Best thing to do is change nothing else on the phone at all, but remove all overclocking for a day, then reinstall it for a day, then remove it for a day, then reinstall it for a day. That should tell you conclusively whether it is related.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I am hoping you guys can help me out. I tried the original 800 patch and now am using the Super pre patch. Now I see there is also this uber patch. Can you in a brief patch for those like me who are less knowledgeable outline the differences between the Super and the Uber? Is the Uber better on all counts or does each have pros and cons or different features and if so what are they?

Thanks.
    Hi all,

I wanted to try Uber out today.

I did not have any problem installing it.

However, when I launch it, it never full opens to a full screen. I'm just getting the typical new mini pulsing icon.

I only installed the Uber app that was listed in the experimental page, was I supposed to install something else?

Thanks!

Rob

UPDATE: And yes, I did uninstall all the older stuff first.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Hi all,

I wanted to try Uber out today.

I did not have any problem installing it.

However, when I launch it, it never full opens to a full screen. I'm just getting the typical new mini pulsing icon.

I only installed the Uber app that was listed in the experimental page, was I supposed to install something else?

Thanks!

Rob

UPDATE: And yes, I did uninstall all the older stuff first.
    Your kernel has already been fully installed and is currently running in the default mode (500MHz). That icon that you've been clicking on to launch is just a 'place holder' and doesn't activate the kernel.

You will need one of the CPU frequency settings applications (Govnah or CPUstate) to activate the overclocking features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post
    Your kernel has already been fully installed and is currently running in the default mode (500MHz). That icon that you've been clicking on to launch is just a 'place holder' and doesn't activate the kernel.

You will need one of the CPU frequency settings applications (Govnah or CPUstate) to activate the overclocking features.
    Thank you!

I was just coming back here because (after trying to read if someone else had the problem), I forgot to do a full reboot of the Pre.

So you are saying that I need to install this Govnah or the CPUUltimate (which I purchased as well, but never really used it so I took it off the Pre, but still have).

I got confused because on the first page, it said the Govnah was incorporated into Uber and I had thought there was only one thing to download and install from Preware. I was searching and had trouble finding Govnah in the test feeds that I had setup according to the instructions.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

i was running the 1st gen 800MHz kernel for the last couple of weeks, very happy with the speed and consistency of the phone with it, not much change from the standard Palm kernel as far as battery and temp. i installed this new uber-kernel along with govnah this morning, using the screenstate set at 500/800. so far, and i dont know if its the placebo effect, but i'm seeing a tremendous improvement in the battery drain, especially when its asleep. i've only had 1 instance where i woke it up and it didn't jump to 800MHz. my only other issue, and its minor, is i've noticed if it gets woke up by a text message, it has a slight stock-kernel-type lag to it until it transfers to 800MHz. so far, this is gonna be a big improvement on my battery, if what i'm seeing so far holds true, for the rare times i actually put my pre down for a while...lol.

thanks to you guys that developed all of this!! you rock!! ...and im jealous..
    Ok, that was it, I had to install Govnah as well!

Thank you!

I have one more question, which I will try and see if its posted in the thread.

I thought I had read that you can install both Govnah and CPUScalerUltimate and use both?

Is that true?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Big thanks to all of you who got this kernel up and running. Amazing job!
    Quote Originally Posted by ravsteve View Post
    I am hoping you guys can help me out. I tried the original 800 patch and now am using the Super pre patch. Now I see there is also this uber patch. Can you in a brief patch for those like me who are less knowledgeable outline the differences between the Super and the Uber? Is the Uber better on all counts or does each have pros and cons or different features and if so what are they?

Thanks.
    Ah a question of much debate if you go digging around the board. I can only answer as a 'end-user' but based off my limited understanding one of the biggest differences between the various kernels is what the underling base code was. Uber Kernal uses Palms 1.4.1, some of the others such as Super I believe use version 1.4.0. One particular 'feature' difference between the 2 codes is access to the internal CPU temperature sensor.

Other differences include the packaging, method/ease of installation and what speeds they run. Uber Kernal with the Govnah app has a new feature that allows overclocking to be active only when the screen is on which theoretically provides a couple of benefits. 1. You are only overclocking the cpu when you are actively using the phone and therefore 2., may help battery life. This combination is why I've chosen to go with Uber.

If you are a Verizon Pre Plus user with the keyboard problem you should probably use a kernel based of the 1.4.1 code. Otherwise you would risk having the keyboard issue not be fixed.

Just my opinions, I could be wrong.

For a more technical discussion between the codes you may want to read some other threads.

forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/243959-compcache-kernel-vs-super-kernel-vs-uberkernel.html#post2409916
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

I am having this issue as well. I loaded the camera app today and it was a grey screen for 30 sec or so before I could take a pic. Also noticed this happen with the calendar app - it stayed in card mode for at least a min before I swiped it away. However, both the camera and calendar app issues occurred on the first open after a reboot. After I opened them once - they seem to load up fine.

Also, I've been having some issues with the speed going back to 500 mhz using screenstate when the screen is on? ( I am seeing the 500 mhz on the Govnah app - I haven't been able to check my speed using command line to make sure it really is at 500. ) Just seems to happen randomly - then goes back to normal???

Finally, it seems like it doesn't take much for me to get to a 45 CPU temp. Is the 45 the warning mark the same as it is for the battery temp? I saw that webOS Internals wasn't ready to discuss warning marks in another thread - has that changed?

I was running fine with the old 800mhz patch - but I know that has been dropped/closed - and I am trying to stay up with the programs that will continue to be developed. Once the bugs are totally worked out I know it will be the best thing running. Thank you guys for your constant work!

Update-- I think the camera app issue is related to Screenstate. I did a reboot -- switched to screenstate -- and again had all kinds of issues with the camera app (not loading -- lag -- freezing -- and when I swiped it off the screen the swoosh sound was stuck in a constant loop for like ten seconds). Then, I rebooted again -- switched to userpace 800mhz -- opened the camera app with no issue at all. In my "lay" opinion --- the viewfinder would change the screen brightness -- or is at least a different screen state than normal -- so it would make sense that the screenstate govenor may be causing it to bug out. (or not??)
    Last edited by PreJamison; 05/02/2010 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Update
    Urber-Kernal w CPU Scaler Ultimate. If anyone has this combo installed let me know. I have SuperPre Kernal & Scaler Ultimate currently installed. I like the speed I'm getting but would love improved battery life. Urber-Kernal might give that to me.
    anyone know why I keep getting a "Error installing See IPK Log" when I try to install the uber kernel from preware?
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stksidehi8 View Post
    anyone know why I keep getting a "Error installing See IPK Log" when I try to install the uber kernel from preware?
    do you have any other kernel installed?

Click on the IPKG log and check the details.

If you have completely uninstalled the other kernels and still gutting the error, install the Pre kernel from Preware first. Then try to install the Uber kernel.