Page 10 of 56 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    Just wanted to chime in and say thanks for the unbelievable work that's going on here. Just made a webos-internals donation. Hack on!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I hate to say it, but, this is exactly why I won't use UberKernel and why I'll continue to use UnixPsycho's kernel(s).
    I believe that unixpsycho is also the main developer for UberKernal.

From this post:

"unixpsycho is the main developer of the Uber-Kernel overclocking features, and is contributing other features to the Uber-Kernel too."

So, he did the SuperKernal and then moved on to the UberKernal.
    Quote Originally Posted by draztikrhymez View Post
    I just have a couple questions

1. I installed this kernal with the govnah and noticed my lock screen doesn't work anymore. Now it just shows the yellow padlock icon but no clock or anything else

2. When coming back from screen off govnah shows my cpu is at 500mhz but no matter how many apps i open or what i do it never goes back up to 800mhz even though i have it set to.

3. Does govnah have to be on the entire time or can i set it and then close the card?

Thanks for all your hard work!
    I'll give it a go from what a have done / read so far...

1 - Reboot and should be fine after that.

2 - That appears to be a known issue. Something to do with brightness levels I think.

3 - No, do not keep Govnah running. Just there to set the way you want it, check temp, or compile data from the graphs.. In fact if you keep it open, it will eventually use up too much memory at this time.
    Last edited by jkb2618; 05/02/2010 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Edit
    Quote Originally Posted by jkb2618 View Post
    I'll give it a go from what a have done / read so far...

1 - Reboot and should be fine after that.

2 - That appears to be a known issue. Something to do with brightness levels I think.

3 - No, do not keep Govnah running. Just there to set the way you want it, check temp, or compile data from the graphs.. In fact if you keep it open, it will eventually use up too much memory at this time.
    1. Rebooted several times n no go for some reason

2. Really? Ok i'll mess with the settings & check it out

Thanks for the advice
    i hate this kernel. sure, it's nice to have a ui to controll it, but since i installed this my reboot rate (probatly lua crash) increase a lot! (from max 1 in a week to 5-8 a day!) Superkernel from caj2008 was much, much, MUCH (!!!!!!!!) better than this crap.... so, thats it....

greez
    TheRealLink
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealLink View Post
    Superkernel from caj2008 was much, much, MUCH (!!!!!!!!) better than this crap.... so, thats it....
    You should demand your money back.
    i hate this kernel. sure, it's nice to have a ui to controll it, but since i installed this my reboot rate (probatly lua crash) increase a lot! (from max 1 in a week to 5-8 a day!) Superkernel from caj2008 was much, much, MUCH (!!!!!!!!) better than this crap.... so, thats it....

greez
    TheRealLink
    I'm glad you like Jason's, number1pete's, and My work.
    Live free or DIE!
    I've switch between com.unixpsycho.webos141_800MHzkernel_armv7 and UberKernal and to me it seems like the old 800mhz kernel seems to make my menus faster even though Uber is set to the same speed. I've switched back and the snappyness? seems to have come back even after restarting Uber a couple times to make sure.
    I know the uberkernel doesn't stick after a phone reboot, but how about a luna restart?
    NY Giants fan?

Check out my Facebook Group! - Big Blue (NY Giants) which just passed 11,000 members
    and newly formed Fan Page
    Rod and Marco, thank you!!!!

I had been running 800 MHz sh, and Alpha tested the newest version of SPK. Speedwise they were fine, but I was noticing issues with 1.4.1.1. Random restarts, stuttering, freezing.

I installed Uber-Kernal 3G and the Govnah about three hours ago and I have to say: fabulous! Thus far, no random restarts, stuttering or freezing. I am using the Screenstate setting and it is working perfectly as shown by checking it over the two hours in Terminal (cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state), except if I turn the phone on while on the TS - sometimes it stays at 500, sometimes it changes to 800. If I lift it off the TS it comes on at 800 consistently.

My battery life has already improved: 5% DPH with moderate use, as opposed to 7-9% previously. Temperature on the TS is 25 CPU, and 33 battery over two hours. I use BU, but have always had my screen minimum set to 10, so I seem to be avoiding the glitches that low screen brightness can cause.

I haven't run this while streaming, yet, but will let you know what I find when I do.

In short, this is working great on my Pre, for my needs...other overclocking solutions may work better for other folks. YMMV.

Thanks again for all your hard work!!!!!!
    Last edited by Blaize; 05/02/2010 at 03:11 PM. Reason: typo
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by draztikrhymez View Post
    1. Rebooted several times n no go for some reason

2. Really? Ok i'll mess with the settings & check it out

Thanks for the advice
    Try uninstalling Uber-Kernel, installing the 1.4.1 kernel, then reinstalling Uber-Kernel. This seems to have fixed issues for several people.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    Will there be work started on integrating SmartReflex into the kernels? For me, it helps the most with battery life.
    I guess not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    Try uninstalling Uber-Kernel, installing the 1.4.1 kernel, then reinstalling Uber-Kernel. This seems to have fixed issues for several people.
    Yea i uninstalled the uber and reinstalled it and it works now. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    Then what's the lowest screen brightness we can set at without any weird things happening?
    FYI, I believe the default is something like 7, and you need Reduce Minimum to bring it down to zero.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonniecv View Post
    I install the previous version of super prekernel and ever since my phone is shutting down by it's self. I uninstalled super prekernel and it is still doing it. Does anyone have any idea what is up? Thanks for any help.
    Lon
    I don't know if anyone had answer your question.. but i would recommend first do webos doctor and start the process over.. I've been using it and got no problems with it.

good luck.

greez
    TheRealLink
  17.    #197  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I hate to say it, but, this is exactly why I won't use UberKernel and why I'll continue to use UnixPsycho's kernel(s). His Just Work(tm) with no fiddling around having to redo settings at every turn.

I 100% respect the decision to stick to the ideas and ideals of making UberKernel *not* do stuff automatically, but in the end, this thing is a PHONE. It should boot and Just Work(tm).

My Linux computers (Gentoo!) sure, fiddle, script, hack, kernel boot params, whatever. Not my phone. I want my phone to boot, be fast, conserve as much power as possible, and Just Work because for 95% of my day, this is the only way people have to get in contact with me should something happen to my Son. UnixPsycho's kernels satisfy those needs Out-Of-The-Box.

This is just my personal opinion, of course, and in no way meant to put down the efforts of all involved with this (or any other) project.

M.
    I respect your decision. There should be a number of well-maintained alternatives for people to choose between, as not everyone has the same needs.

The good news is that Marco has pretty much done the overclocking part of the kernel for every single overclocking solution that is available for the Palm Pre, and our eventual goal is to make all the kernels as easy to "set and forget" as the hard-coded ones are today by using fail-safe startup scripts. We just don't have the startup scripts fail-safe-enough for general distribution yet.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  18.    #198  
    Here's what Oil (who does all the Govnah front-end UI work) is working on at the moment:

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    My phone has not crashed in the day and 1/2 I have been using Uber-Kernel. I had been using SPK for some time, during which I did have luna restarts.

One of the most noticable things is that with SPK, pressing the power button would not instantly turn on the screen, or it would turn on "slow". Sometimes, it would not turn on but restart. I can also say that programs open quicker and things are snappier with the Uber-Kernel.

Since I have Verizon, maybe the difference in performance is due to Uber-Kernel using the 1.4.1.1 kernel and the SPK using the 1.4 kernel. And, with Verizon, the 1.4.1.1 seems to have corrected the double-typing.

I'm using the Screenstate setting and check it with WebOSQI command line. The speed increase from 500 t0 800 is basically instant. When screen is off, it is 500 and as soon as you turn it on, it is 800.

I don't know why some others have had problems, but I'm extremely satisfied with Uber-Kernel.
  20.    #200  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    My phone has not crashed in the day and 1/2 I have been using Uber-Kernel. I had been using SPK for some time, during which I did have luna restarts.
    Yes, there is nothing in Uber-Kernel that is intentionally designed to fix that, but some people are reporting that different governors have different effects on that webOS bug. It seems to be quite device-dependent.

One of the most noticable things is that with SPK, pressing the power button would not instantly turn on the screen, or it would turn on "slow". Sometimes, it would not turn on but restart. I can also say that programs open quicker and things are snappier with the Uber-Kernel.
    I think this also is related to governor choice.

Since I have Verizon, maybe the difference in performance is due to Uber-Kernel using the 1.4.1.1 kernel and the SPK using the 1.4 kernel. And, with Verizon, the 1.4.1.1 seems to have corrected the double-typing.
    It has been confirmed by Palm that the 1.4.1.1 kernel keyboard driver was updated to correct the double-typing error, so we will take credit for this one (simply by using the correct kernel version)

I'm using the Screenstate setting and check it with WebOSQI command line. The speed increase from 500 t0 800 is basically instant. When screen is off, it is 500 and as soon as you turn it on, it is 800.
    The frequency change is actually done *inside* the LCD display driver code, so it is indeed instantaneous.

I don't know why some others have had problems, but I'm extremely satisfied with Uber-Kernel.
    Glad to hear that.

We don't expect a 100% success rate, as overclocking is very device-dependent, so there will always be devices on which overclocking simply will never work properly - that's the nature of the beast when operating a device outside of it's guaranteed specification limits.

-- Rod