Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    We need to sue Verizon Wireless for crippling the GPS.

I would like to say I'm just kiddding but I was talking to my Dad about there are so many people sueing for the stupidest reasons and winning.

I'm sure there is a pretty good chance we could win.

What do you think?
    you'd have to have substantial evidence and then get a lawyer for a class action lawsuit. If the evidence is there most lawyers will pick up a case against a company like Verizon. Class action is big $$

I'm willing to donate money to anyone who can really figure out why the GPS isn't working. I am baffled that with so many developers on these forums, not one person has looked into this.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    LOL. the lawyers are going to walk a way with millions and users will be left with slightly less crippled GPS and one time credit of either 100 minutes of talk time or $14.93 applied to your current bill
    Quote Originally Posted by kalex View Post
    LOL. the lawyers are going to walk a way with millions and users will be left with slightly less crippled GPS and one time credit of either 100 minutes of talk time or $14.93 applied to your current bill
    doubtful. If anyone can prove that VZ crippled GPS, they would have to, by law, fully enable it. I could care less about giving all the winnings to the lawyers - I just want a GPS that works on a device I paid for and not be forced into buying VZ nav just to get it to work. I'm also tired of large companies flexing their arms and taking advantage of consumers just because they can - especially in this market and especially after they force us to pay a data plan. Enough is enough already.
    just come on over to the dark side AKA Sprint,,,,,, i dont have to worry about none of that stuff, and i got hotspot for free thanks to the homebrew,,,,,,,sorry not really trying to rub it in, but sprint has a better plan
  6.    #6  
    I don't have any choice of my carrier. I'm on my parents plan and at 16 you can't get your own nor would I want to pay that much more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Speed View Post
    just come on over to the dark side AKA Sprint,,,,,, i dont have to worry about none of that stuff, and i got hotspot for free thanks to the homebrew,,,,,,,sorry not really trying to rub it in, but sprint has a better plan
    if I could leave now, I would. Unfortunately I'm tied into this plan for a little while longer. I can guarantee you one thing, I am definitely not renewing ever again on Verizon. This is truly my last device I get on their service... ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by blueray View Post
    if I could leave now, I would. Unfortunately I'm tied into this plan for a little while longer. I can guarantee you one thing, I am definitely not renewing ever again on Verizon. This is truly my last device I get on their service... ever.
    Understood that you're 16, but pay more on Sprint????? HA!!!! Sprint has the cheapest plans, plus all of the free add ons; free US Roaming, "Unlimited" Data, Anytime Any Mobile, Free Sprint Nav.

But, milk your parents till they kick you off their plan. My sister and I got kicked off of our moms plan, when she finally realized that she had finished and I was about to graduate college. Either way That plan ended on June 6, 2009 AKA launch day for the Pre. WIN!!!
    As nice as Sprints cheap rates are, I'd much rather pay the higher premium and know I'm on a reliable network that won't be going under anytime soon. As annoying as the GPS issue is, I'd stick with Verizon any day of the week. You pay for what you get, and you get the best from Verizon. At least that's my two cents.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonatho087 View Post
    As nice as Sprints cheap rates are, I'd much rather pay the higher premium and know I'm on a reliable network that won't be going under anytime soon. As annoying as the GPS issue is, I'd stick with Verizon any day of the week. You pay for what you get, and you get the best from Verizon. At least that's my two cents.
    Amen! In these parts, Sprint's pricing being 33% cheaper is coincidentally the same as their cellular system's problem where it drops 33% of the words that the other person is saying. Not to mention at least a 33% chance of a call being dropped in the first minute.

My employer provides me with a free Sprint Pre and unlimited calling, because I'm on call 24/7 for emergencies. I'd say that over half of all calls to that phone go straight to voicemail without ever ringing the phone, and if one does actually get through it is impossible to carry on a conversation without losing 33% of the words due to audio dropouts. Even though I have a free phone at my disposal, I still pay for a Verizon phone of my own...and use it to call back whenever the Sprint phone drops out.

The icing on the cake was a few months ago, when we had a major snowstorm that knocked out power to over 90% of the county. My Sprint phone went to roam, because their towers apparently either didn't have generator backups or else lost communications cabling. Verizon's system was apparently swamped, and they appeared to be giving priority to their own customers over Sprint's roaming phones. Long story short, if I only had a Sprint phone, I would have been out of touch for 48 hours. I wound up using my personal Verizon phone to coordinate the business continuity operations at work, and you can be sure that "Ditch Sprint!" was at the top of the post-mortem board when we were documenting our response problems afterwards!

Regarding the Verizon GPS problem, I'm not convinced that this isn't being caused by some sort of power-savings feature that they implemented. I suspect that they are keeping the GPS powered down by default, until an app requests it. Then, they power it up, and it has to find a fix. I also suspect that VZ Navigator has some special code to "hot wire" an initial fix from the cellular system's location services, which it passes along to the GPS to help it get a fix more quickly. Hence, any GPS app that you open having to wait forever for a fix, and opening VZ Navigator making the phone get a fix almost instantly.

I'd really be curious to do a comparison of the webOS 1.4.1.1 Doctor archives for both Sprint and Verizon phones, to see if there are specific .ipk files with the GPS drivers and if they are the same or not between the two software bundles.

Another interesting question is whether or not the people who claim to have working GPS units have doctored their phones at some point, to eliminate the possibility that the fix isn't already sitting in the webOS Doctor archive but not being pushed out OTA for some reason.....
  11.    #11  
    I just doctored my Pre Plus last night to 1.4.0 and then updated to 1.4.1.1 OTA. Google Maps will find me only if I clear the map and then try to "locate me". Then with GPSDashboardFree it works more than it did but I keep getting low signal erors almost everywere I go. So the update helped but it's not 100% fixed.

Couldn't someone look try and look at the code for VZNavigator and see if they can find the section or whatever that enables GPS?
    No way you would win. There is no law anywhere that says GPS must be enabled on their phones for you to use. Nowhere. It's in their right to disable GPS and require you to purchase navigator if you want GPS. they can choose to do it on one phone in their lineup, or all of them. You have absolutely no case. There is no one forcing you to stay with verizon. Trying to sue them because GPS is disabled is like suing a automobile maker for selling a car with the radio disabled unless you buy satellite radio.
    it's not disabled or forcing znavi....just go to location services: turn off auto locate...click prefs and then locate me using, choose only gps. I did a full shutdown. Now when you open a gps app it will ask for permission. I actually used vz navi for a couple weeks too, so if there is something in the vznav software that's keeping the gps off or whatever, it's not permanent. To me it seems like it's something with the google services in location services, not certain. All I know is mine is working and it was sketchy before. Once it's on it's fast and accurate. I had issues this AM, but it's really foggy, cloudy and rainy...and I live in a huge oak grove.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
    Trying to sue them because GPS is disabled is like suing a automobile maker for selling a car with the radio disabled unless you buy satellite radio.
    More like suing the auto manufacturer because an added Sirius/XM subscription is required to listen to the satellite radio that came installed in the car.....
    Wouldn't palm get involved and say its not them and its verizon? That would ruin a carrier relationship.
    iPhone 1gen august 2007- may 2010
    Repaired: headphone jack twice. Buttons and back cover once. Screen has a crack.

Palm Pre Plus may 2010-now

LOVE IT
    Quote Originally Posted by cursiv View Post
    Wouldn't palm get involved and say its not them and its verizon? That would ruin a carrier relationship.
    verizon vznavigator is a paid option. Gps on the on the other hand was provided by palm. Verizon can't make you pay just to use gps. Gps is not an option. If you have data plan which is required to use googlemaps then it should work.
    gps connects directly to satellites verizon don't own them.

if gps is a option as some of you state then in palm specs should be listed: standalone gps but subscription is required to use it. I guess you don't know history of verizon cripling gps.
    you are paying for standalone gps but are not getting one. They already got in trouble with other devices.
    think about it. Some apps require gps to function. So in order to use gps you are required to pay extra E@ per month and still keep vznavigator running in background in order for gps to work property. When I got my first smartphone I wal told only navigation far extra but not gps. So you are paing for gps but it's blocked by verizon. You do have case but in order to win it we need more people to complain about it .my samsund g omnia gps was locked for one year. After many user complaints they unlocked it!
    Got to put my 2 cents in...
    Just upgraded to a Pre+ on the big V. Then next day updated to WebOS 1.4.1.1.bla.bla.blaa I've been geocacheing and using Google maps. Works 99% of the time with maybe 10-20 foot room for error...
    From what ive seen the GPS chip turns off if your not in the full card view. This could be y people are having an issue. Also the GPS chip set is not very sensitive. I had to step out from under an umbrella (canvas) to get better accuracy... But hey it works great FOR A CELL PHONE!

But hey that's just me!
    If V got in trouble in the past for doing this then we need to find out how it was proved to win the fight.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    We need to sue Verizon Wireless for crippling the GPS.

I would like to say I'm just kiddding but I was talking to my Dad about there are so many people sueing for the stupidest reasons and winning.

I'm sure there is a pretty good chance we could win.

What do you think?
    I think you're special.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast