Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37424344454647
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I just got mine after almost a year of waiting for it to come on AT&T. Let's just say that it was worth the wait.
    Kwel!
    TopTongueBarry, to activate if you're not on AT&T, but want to unlock:

There is a problem with putting someone else's SIM into the Pre. Apparently AT&T immediately registers the change and adds a data plan. Even the Mod here reported this. If you do use someone else's SIM, make sure it's with someone who already has a smartphone data plan.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Overclocked to 800MHZ and Mobile Hot Spot working. Awesome!
    Treo 750 WM6.0/6.1/6.5 > AT&T Palm Pre > Plus Treo 750 | WM 6.1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    TopTongueBarry, to activate if you're not on AT&T, but want to unlock:

There is a problem with putting someone else's SIM into the Pre. Apparently AT&T immediately registers the change and adds a data plan. Even the Mod here reported this. If you do use someone else's SIM, make sure it's with someone who already has a smartphone data plan.
    Good Point. I missed that one. Occasionally, the system doesn't catch it, but why take the chance with a true friends wireless account .... unless you don't care to remain friends with them any longer, or even better, maybe you never really wanted to be friends with them in the first place, but hey, they've got an AT&T SIM they'll lend for a few minutes to help get your new Palm Pre Plus going ..... oh, what the heck, here's one more .... geography's gotta be more important in this situation , ie; the AT&T SIM card and your new Pre Plus ready for activation/unlocking happen to be here now ... ...... friend gone tomorrow....

Don't mind me, its FINALLY Friday after a rough work week. I'm beyond giddy silly now. Time for a couple of stiff cocktails.

Adios for now amigos ....
    TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by JHNSTN00 View Post
    Overclocked to 800MHZ and Mobile Hot Spot working. Awesome!
    Overclocked to 800MHz and MyTether is working flawlessly. NICE!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Hey Barry, would appreciate you clearing something up really quickly

When you say this:
    If you use WebOS meta doctor, you can skip activation initially, perform the unlocking process, and then find the first use icon and use it to activate your phone with Palm using your T-Mobile SIM card
    Which meta doctor are we talking about (rwhitby's meta doctor or Palm's official dev doctor) if I want to buy the phone from the phone unactivated from AT&T to use unlocked on T-Mobile?

I think on Palm's official, it says if you want to "bypass carrier activation" you can never use the cellular radio... that doesn't sound like what I'm looking for if I want to use it on T-Mobile.

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by *****hay View Post
    Hey Barry, would appreciate you clearing something up really quickly
    When you say this:
    Which meta doctor are we talking about (rwhitby's meta doctor or Palm's official dev doctor) if I want to buy the phone from the phone unactivated from AT&T to use unlocked on T-Mobile?
    I think on Palm's official, it says if you want to "bypass carrier activation" you can never use the cellular radio... that doesn't sound like what I'm looking for if I want to use it on T-Mobile.
    Thanks in advance!
    Meta-Doctor refers to Rod Whitby's WebOS Meta-Doctor, not Palm's WebOS Doctor.
    I believe that activation is required for the cellular radio to work on CDMA models. Just because Palm made that official statement at one time, does not mean it's the way things are now that GSM devices are in the wild. I've found that on GSM models, the radio works without activation. I just meta doctored a friend's Telcel GSM Pre earlier tonight with the AT&T 1.4.2 meta-doctor set to bypass activation, carrier check, and model check (Pre Plus doctor /Pre hw) then without a SIM card in it proceeded to unlock it using Nextgen's process,

Then I put his T-Mobile SIM into it and ran the first use app from the icon created by webos meta-doctor. Wasn't sure if I could set up the Palm Profile over tmobiles 2G network (you won't have 3G on T-Mobile USA using an AT&T or a Telcel Pre, only a 2G data connection) so I turned on WiFi. At this point, I let my friend take over and he set up his palm profile I don't remember at what point (whether it was completed over T-Mobiles 2G data connection or over WiFi) because i let him do that part. Problem is he only had 142 Apps in the App catalog.

As a result of this experience earlier tonight, I am sticking to my original recommendation for T-Mobile users. If you wan't to have the full app catalog on your AT&T Pre Plus that you're planning to unlock for use on T-Mobiles's USA network, then there's one proven method that won't fail you.

Leave the factory AT&T WebOS image on the phone, and find a friend with an AT&T SIM card you can borrow for 10 minutes. If you want to remain friends afterwards, then you also need to make sure they already have a smartphone data package on their plan. I'm certain you must know at least one person who has an iPhone, or an AT&T Blackberry that you you could hit up for this.

Open your new AT&T Pre Plus, pop your friend's sim into it, and proceed to activate it, then set up a brand new Palm profile with their sim card still in the device. If they'll let you borrow their SIM a little while longer, then leave it in and proceed to unlock the device using NextGens unlock process.

EDIT 5/25 : Several people have reported success getting their AT&T Palm Pre Plus's unlocked by calling AT&T customer support and giving them the IMEI # of the device. If this in fact is true, and you are preparing to unlock your device using the code they supply you (based on your IMEI#) you'll want to have your NON-AT&T SIM card in the device when you are ready to unlock it. The "Enter Network Subsidy Unlock code" screen will not appear if you leave your friends AT&T SIM card in the device .

NextGen's unlock process does not need a SIM card in the Pre for unlocking it as long as the Pre has either already been activated, or if activation was bypassed their process is supposed to work. There's been a couple folks who've reported that no sim unlocking didn't work for them. I have no idea what the cause really was, but I've been able to unlock with and without a sim card. Since a few people reported problems, I can say this much, if you want to be sure nothing goes wrong, then leave the AT&T SIM in until after you've completed the unlock process. A small price to pay. If you have to meta-doctor becuse of something that went wrong, you'll be starting over and possibly introducing multiple variables to worry about messing up on.

Once you've activated, set up the new palm profile, and unlocked your device, you should have the complete USA app catalog available to you right there in the palm of your hand.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 05/25/2010 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Added info regarding IMEI Subsidy unlocking!
    @TopTongueBarry I have a BlackBerry data plan. Could I use it when on my Pre (when I comes in the mail)? I plan on switching back and forth between the two phones. When I place my SIM into the Pre, would at&t change my plan, or maintain the same data plan?
    yeah you'll be fine with the blackberry connect plan
    How do you set up a Palm account on a used Pre? I'm still thinking of getting mine off Craigs. I'm really not happy about updating my account in the corporate store because I'm still thinking of officially updating to the new iPhone 4G. I don't want to get badgered for contract renewal right now.

Now if they'll allow you to get one off contract and just switch to the Pre data plan with no contract upgrade penalty, then maybe I'll get one from the store. But I keep seeing some stores will allow this and some won't.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    How do you set up a Palm account on a used Pre? I'm still thinking of getting mine off Craigs. I'm really not happy about updating my account in the corporate store because I'm still thinking of officially updating to the new iPhone 4G. I don't want to get badgered for contract renewal right now.

Now if they'll allow you to get one off contract and just switch to the Pre data plan with no contract upgrade penalty, then maybe I'll get one from the store. But I keep seeing some stores will allow this and some won't.
    Run webOS doctor and it'll ask you to create a Palm profile.

If it is an ATT Pre you get off Craigslist all you have to do is wipe it under reset options in device info. When it comes back up the phone will be as new where you can create or log in to your palm profile.
    My requirements:
    1. Unlocked, AT&T Palm Pre Plus 'without contract'.
    2. Profile on the phone to be with my name and email id.
    3. To use the phone in India with a local 'SIM'. (I am aware 3G will not work here).
    4. Access to the US, free & paid, full 'App store/catalog' in India with the local sim. (Assuming US debit/credit card and US mailing address)

Based on information gathered from reading various threads, the following is what I think is required for me to get an AT&T Palm Pre Plus, unlocked and with access in India to the 'Full' US 'App Store/catalog'.

1. Current, long standing (over 90 days) AT&T customer (with a data plan) buys the Palm Pre Plus 'without contract' (Touchstone included) for $399 + Tax
    2. Puts his AT&T 'SIM' into the Palm Pre Plus, selects English as the language and then proceeds to activate/create a profile with his name and email id.
    3. Calls AT&T at 611 and requests an 'unlock code', stating that he/she is planning to travel overseas and would like to use, a non AT&T, local 'SIM' to avoid international roaming charges. Gives the Customer rep the IMEI #, he/she calculates and gives the code in 30 secs or so. This worked for 'brabusny' --> http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...ml#post2460933
    4. Takes out his AT&T 'SIM' and puts in another company's 'SIM' (For eg. T-Mobile). Inputs the 'unlock code' and voila, unlocked AT&T Palm Pre Plus.
    5. Sends the phone to me here in India.

My questions:
    1. Any loopholes or things I missed above?
    2. Can just anyone walk in and buy the phone 'without contract', or does the phone have to be bought by an existing AT&T customer? I ask, incase this is an issue in getting the unlock code from AT&T.
    3. When activating/creating a profile the first time, can it be done with my name and email id, or should the buyer use his name and email id. In the case of the latter, would I then, be able to later create my own profile, using my name and email id.
    4. When I receive the presumably 'unlocked' (backup plan is Nextgen server) Palm Pre Plus, I simply put in my local India 'SIM' and then what? How do I go about creating a new profile with my name and email id?

PS: What is the 'return policy' on the 'without contract' phones?

Thanks a ton.
    Quote Originally Posted by edwina View Post
    @TopTongueBarry I have a BlackBerry data plan. Could I use it when on my Pre (when I comes in the mail)? I plan on switching back and forth between the two phones. When I place my SIM into the Pre, would at&t change my plan, or maintain the same data plan?
    Good question. i'd say 50/50 chance either way. Won't know until someone tries it and reports back.
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    yeah you'll be fine with the blackberry connect plan
    There ya go. I figured it'd be ok, but didn't want to go on record without supporting evidence.

Thanks,
    Barry
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 05/25/2010 at 07:05 PM.
    Finally got my AT&T Pre. Haven't gotten my unlock code yet.. Thinking of cancelling the order and going w/ nextgen to unlock.
Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37424344454647