Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3641424344454647 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    You know, now that you mention it, I STILL haven't received my email, even though I signed up to hear about it on ATT's site over a month ago! That's really poor.
    I just found my email...it was in my junk box, sent out on the 17th! Thanks AT&T for being on the ball.

In good news, I just ordered my Pre Plus! Woot! Now I have to wait 2-3 days to get it, but at least I didn't have to pay $150 (or more)!
    Got my email yesterday. Click on the link, but because I'm a current AT&T customer when I log in and select to upgrade, I only get the $149.99 offer WITHOUT the touchstone. Bummer.

I'm going to visit my local AT&T store today and see if I can talk them into giving me one because I'm such a loyal customer.

(2 AT&T POTS lines, 1 AT&T DSL line, 1 AT&T U-Verse Internet/TV/Voice account, 5 wireless lines on AT&T Family Plan - 2 with full data plans.)
    hey,
    I'm new to the forum (even new in the US, came from germany 4 weeks ago). now I'm looking for a cell phone / plan - but I'm pretty much convinced, it's gonna be a pre plus.
    some (newbie) questions:
    if I can somehow avoid to sign a 2 year contract, that would be fine. my plan is, to buy a pre plus at an at&t store (for 399), unlock it via next gen and use a t-mobile plan (as it's cheaper and there is no annual contract).
    and that's where some questions come up:
    - can anyone tell my about his/her experience with unlocking a att gsm pre? (I've read through some threads here, still have some doubts if it's really going to work out...)
    - I've read about "activation" of the phone, after buying it. maybe this is a totally noob question: but why/when exactly do I have to do that? (as far as I can remember for my last cell phone (germany, o2...), I just got it out of the box, inserted my sim card and switched it on (just had to enter the pin of the sim card)).
    so - if anyone has done what I'm planning to do: I'd be *really* happy, if you could provide some information, like "works" or "forget it" or...
    thanks in advance!
    nihil
    I went to an AT&T store on the 16th and picked mine up as soon as they opened. All the stores in my area only got 3 phones! 3!!! Not a real strong showing PALM...I didn't get the touchstone that day because the guy selling me the phone said he hadn't heard of the deal. I called on Monday and complained and they put one aside for me so I picked it up yesterday. Phone is cool. I miss visual voicemail and spellcheck! I thought the Palm Pre had spellcheck...Oh well. The battery sucks! Literally...Any suggestions on how to save on Batt life? It is taking some getting used to, but I do love how clean the OS is.

T-X
    I'd like to know what kind of activation is needed too. Is it to activate through your account officially, or just set up the phone with a valid AT&T SIM? TIA.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    the only activation I saw was setting up my palm profile and going through the titorial video, unless the rep did something with it on first boot up.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by kipEE View Post
    Do you have to ask for the loyalty discount? I've been with them since they were Pac Bell!
    I had called customer service before I went to the store and asked about upgrades and price. I then asked if there were any other discounts available to me since I had been with them so long. The rep told me that they could give me a $50 credit as a customer loyalty credit.
    What a joke-- went into our local At&t store and there was absolutely no signs about the pre. I had to search clear in the back to find it, but I had to look hard because there was no sign on it saying what it was or the price.. just a lonely phone sitting there like an unwanted stepchild!! Everything around it is iphone this and iphone that-- I walked out disgusted since no one was around to help me. I may have to go to another town close by and see how the pre is respected there!!
    Quote Originally Posted by nihil_baxter View Post
    my plan is, to buy a pre plus at an at&t store (for 399), unlock it via next gen and use a t-mobile plan (as it's cheaper and there is no annual contract).
    You do know that you'll be limited to 2G EDGE data if you use an unlocked AT&T Palm Pre Plus or Telcel Palm Pre on the T-Mobile USA network. The frequencies used by T-Mobile for 3G data connectivity are not the same 3G frequency bands used by AT&T. For the record, T-Mobile's 3G frequencies are not on the standard North American bands used for 3G by the rest of the GSM carriers in North America. (AT&T, Rogers/Fido, Telcel Mexico, etc, etc).
    can anyone tell my about his/her experience with unlocking a att gsm pre? (I've read through some threads here, still have some doubts if it's really going to work out...)
    Works just fine. Piece of cake! Make sure you follow the instructions from nextgen explicitly, no skipping steps, no ignoring any of the tips they give you in the instructions / guide, they're all important. The most important tip (IMHO) is to use nothing other than a windows XP 32Bit PC for the unlocking process, and make sure the OS has not previously been connected to a Palm pre device ( The first time it gets to see a Pre connected to it must be when you use it to unlock your Pre!).

I've read about "activation" of the phone, after buying it. maybe this is a totally noob question: but why/when exactly do I have to do that? (as far as I can remember for my last cell phone (germany, o2...), I just got it out of the box, inserted my sim card and switched it on (just had to enter the pin of the sim card)).
    so - if anyone has done what I'm planning to do: I'd be *really* happy, if you could provide some information, like "works" or "forget it" or...
    thanks in advance!
    nihil
    If you use WebOS meta doctor, you can skip activation initially, perform the unlocking process, and then find the first use icon and use it to activate your phone with Palm using your T-Mobile SIM card , although i have heard of issues activating over 2G EDGE. In case you don't know this, the real purpose behind the activation process is the creation of a Palm profile that's tied to the device.You dont need to activate the device, and if you don't activate it most everything will work on an unactivated meta doctored Pre, but you cannot access the app store, buy apps, or recieve WebOS updates over the air. You're stuck manually doctoring your Pre every time you need to update WebOS to the next higher version level.

Now you've got the information, I'll fill you in on the easiest/best way for you to get through this based on what you have told us.

Buy your AT&T Palm Pre Plus at the contract free price of $399 from AT&T. Find a friend who has an AT&T SIM card you can borrow for 10 minutes. Put that AT&T SIM card into your newly purchased Pre Plus and power it up. When it comes up, choose english. then choose United states. then create a palm profile with the AT&T SIM card still in the Pre Plus you purchased. Use your own email address for the account. Once you have activated. power the device off. give your friend his AT&T SIM card back, and unlock the device using NextGen's process. After you have completed the unlock process, have your unlock code, and have entered it successfully while your T-Mobile SIM is in the device, you are done. unlocked AT&T Palm Pre Plus, on T-Mobile's 2G EDGE network, and hopefully the entire USA app catalog available to you on your device. If not the entire app catalogue, you'll at least have part of it, and should still be able to purchase paid apps after you give palm your CC # to use for your app purchases.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    hey *thanks*a*lot*!!
    all my questions clearly answered - great.
    (heard about the 2g issue before... that's a bit sad. but ok, there's always something...)
    again - that was really helpful!
    nihil
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    You know, now that you mention it, I STILL haven't received my email, even though I signed up to hear about it on ATT's site over a month ago! That's really poor.
    Got the phone Sunday, got an e-mail about the phone being available from AT&T yesterday and Palm let me know this morning the phone was available on AT&T. Really poor marketing on this one.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Got my notification today as well. I went to an ATT store and the rep was swooning all over the Pre. He didn't like the iPhone either and said ATT make them all use the iPhone. He's an Android guy himself, but he thought the Pre is great. Another rep was talking to a customer looking at the iPhone and actually tried to sell her the Pre. I was happy to hear that!
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlyB View Post
    Got the phone Sunday, got an e-mail about the phone being available from AT&T yesterday and Palm let me know this morning the phone was available on AT&T. Really poor marketing on this one.
    I also got my notification today morning, I added a hotdeal in fatwalletDOTcom and people are giving me red as it is cheaper on version or not to mention here go into the forums, I don't care
    Quote Originally Posted by Filjosh View Post
    I also got my notification today morning, I added a hotdeal in fatwalletDOTcom and people are giving me red as it is cheaper on version or not to mention here go into the forums, I don't care
    LOL, try that on RedFlagDeals. You'll attract a HORDE of iPhans saying this thing is crap and go buy the almighty sacred fruit phone.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    definitely poor marketing on att or palm for the launch and release of this phone.

i can see why att wouldnt give a hoot about spending money to market this but maybe palm should have done a little more.

or maybe they are saving their money for their next phone release.

palm pre is definitely the most under rated phone. too bad and so sad for those who are missing out.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Got to the nearest ATT store last Sunday about an hour early - nobody else waiting. Two reps inside setting out a dummy Pre for display. Got one to come to the door. I asked how many units they had. "Two" was the answer. I said, "they're both mine, I'll be sitting here til you open."

I walked away with 2 Pre+'s with Touchstones, and 2 Samsung Mythics (for the kids) for $318 out the door.

I have to say I absolutely love this phone so far. Love the homebrew and open source community, and love Palm for embracing that development model. WebOS is here for the long haul whether the Apple sheep realize it or not. Palm FTW!
    have it and love it!
    I paid $427 for my Pre Plus!
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Great news, everyone! I just got my email (May 20th!!!!) that says the ATT Palm Pre is now available! I'm going to run down to the store and be first in line!!! (I still haven't heard a thing from the store manager OR the sales associate, who both promised they would call as soon as they knew something. Maybe they still don't know something.)

Wow, is all I can say.
    tim
    I got mine today for $400 ($427) with taxes and they att rep wanted to charge me at front for the touchtone (with a mail-in-rebate) I called the manager and they waived the mail-in-rebate and were able to process an instant rebate on the "free" touchtone and waala I'm happy. Just purchased "Missinc Sync" $39.99 value and I'm beginning to sync all my files now.