1.    #1  
    HI all,

As you know for the past few weeks, I have been keeping a running total of apps.

The past few weeks we are adding approx. 120 to 150 apps per week.

THIS WEEK WE ADDED EXACTLY 150 APPS!

Catalog Apps 2313
    Home Brew Apps 474
    Web Apps 383
    Beta Apps 150
    Total as of today 04/30/2010 (drum roll please), 3320!
    Last weeks total (minus) 3170
    Total new apps added 150

At this rate even without HP buying Palm, I would expect to see us at the 10,000 mark within one year from now.

I am sure that Palm with the help of financing from HP, will have that figure much, much higher and quickly I might add. Palm designed webOS, so that with new tools, existing apps for other platforms can be ported into webOS, with as little as a weeks work.

I am guessing that Palm help Game Loft, with the porting. Now that HP will soon be the owner of Palm, HP I am sure will supply funding for more staff, to help firms port apps to webOS.

I expect that even before HP goes thru the formal buying process of Palm, that Palm will increase it's staff to help with the porting of additional apps. After all, Palm was hording it's funds, to make them last as long as possible. Now they have the ability to spend faster, knowing that HP, will soon handle additional cash needs.

Another issue is that HP is making it very clear, that they want to use webOS, well beyond the Pre. After all, it already killed the Win 7 pad, (the obvious reason is so that webOS can be used on the pad instead). With that in mind, HP will need as many apps as possible, for their new webOS devices.

Even thought most people use a relatively small amount of apps, people who follow the industry for a living, seem fixated on the number of apps. I am sure that potential customers are dissuaded from buy a Pre, since they hear again and again , that there are so few apps. Today I read an article that stated there were only 1,000 apps, (we know they are not regular readers of PreCentral, or they would know it is already more than 3 times that!

(BTW, I emailed three different reporters, with the correct totals. I heard back from only one, who was sorry about the wrong info and was very happy to hear that he was wrong by 2,320)!

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    that's great!
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Can't wait to see what else we'll be getting. Keep 'em coming
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    I don't get why over 1000 of em aren't available in the UK catalog though..
    Your numbers are correct but I'm predicting a huge surge in apps to happen real soon. With the new SDK coming out within a month or so and PDK apps are going to start trickling in. Add all that with the backing of HP most developers aren't going to run away because palm is failing they are going to come running in by the 100's. I believe by July we are going to have 200 - 500 weeks full of usefully apps.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Guys, some new PDK games not from EA, Glu Mobile or Gameloft dropped tonight.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    See it's already starting

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Were there any good ones? That's really all I care about.
  9.    #9  
    Hi, all,

What's killing me, is the fact that I am still stuck with my Centro until Oct 2010, (I will be done with my 2 years with V, (I am a secondary phone of 5 on one bill, so I have a 2 yr contract with V). At that time, I will change from V to Sprint and at long last own a Pre. By then I assume the next gen Pre or what ever they will call it, will be out and I will get to love it, like all of you.

Thank you the PDK info. I didn't know much about it, as programming is way, way over my head! I did a little reading on it and I must say, Palm was ingenious, when they designed webOS. Simple easy to use, very easy to upgrade and now with HP's financial and technical help. The world is our oyster.

Take care, all, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    I don't get why over 1000 of em aren't available in the UK catalog though..
    Didn't the European catalog open after the USA? Is that why so many more apps are available here then there?

Take care, Jay
    soon iphone devs will done porting their apps to android, and will be looking for a new source of revenue. With the upcoming pdk, it should speed things up.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    soon iphone devs will done porting their apps to android, and will be looking for a new source of revenue. With the upcoming pdk, it should speed things up.
    I agree 100%! take care, Jay
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Didn't the European catalog open after the USA? Is that why so many more apps are available here then there?

Take care, Jay
    Maybe, but I'd say it's just a case of flipping the switch. They both speak English.. It seems like only newer apps make it into the European catalog. Which means like 1k old apps don't get here just because the Europe checkbox wasn't there when submitted.
  14.    #14  
    Thank you, I had no idea. It certainly doesn't seem fair! I imagine, that Palm will work on that, especially since there is so much talk of the total number of apps available for each OS platform! Take care, Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by Joescan09 View Post
    Your numbers are correct but I'm predicting a huge surge in apps to happen real soon. With the new SDK coming out within a month or so and PDK apps are going to start trickling in. Add all that with the backing of HP most developers aren't going to run away because palm is failing they are going to come running in by the 100's. I believe by July we are going to have 200 - 500 weeks full of usefully apps.
    At first I was going to say you're crazy--200-500 a week by July--but on second thought I'm not really sure. Maybe it's possible. Certainly, by the end of the year we could be pushing 500 a week.

Exciting times.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    At first I was going to say you're crazy--200-500 a week by July--but on second thought I'm not really sure. Maybe it's possible. Certainly, by the end of the year we could be pushing 500 a week.

Exciting times.
    Hi all, I agree with you. In the four weeks since I started keeping track, we have gone from approx 100 apps a week to 150 apps a week. That is a huge increase in just a month.

Now due to the merger, there will be no hesitation to write for webOS or to port to webOS.

In fact, HP killed their Win 7 pad in favor of an webOS pad, I would think , that HP will need to have Palm write a number of apps themselves. Or update webOS faster than expected, in order to emulate all the things, that a Win 7 pad would be able to do, (we all know that a win 7 pad has so much more a base program and therefore could do far more than an Ipad. My guess is, that HP wants it webOS to do all that a win 7 pad could do, without all the bulk of Win 7, (or have to pay MS for it)).

If need be HP will pay firms to write and or port to webOS, something Palm could not afford to do.

Take care, Jay
    It gets to the point though 100 apps do the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    In fact, HP killed their Win 7 pad in favor of an webOS pad, I would think , that HP will need to have Palm write a number of apps themselves. Or update webOS faster than expected, in order to emulate all the things, that a Win 7 pad would be able to do, (we all know that a win 7 pad has so much more a base program and therefore could do far more than an Ipad. My guess is, that HP wants it webOS to do all that a win 7 pad could do, without all the bulk of Win 7, (or have to pay MS for it)).
    I'm not sure that this rumor is true. I suppose it's possible that HP has cancelled the Win 7 Slate, but if so I think it's because of inherent problems with Win 7 on such a small device as opposed to the explicit decision to go with webOS instead.

As to what's required to duplicate the Win 7 capabilities on a tablet, I can say that HP has a bit of a task ahead of them. The most significant capability that Win 7 brings to the tablet format is digital ink, a data type that Microsoft has been perfecting for upwards of a decade. Note that this isn't just the recording of pen input as a graphic, it's its own data type that Win 7 can utilize like any other data. Duplicating this in webOS would be a bit of a task.

I'd love to see them enable pen input that could generate data that could be synced with a Win 7 system and imported into, say, OneNote. This would make a webOS tablet a great note-taking extension device. Without such a feature, though, I fear that pen input would be more limiting than it's worth.

We'll see what HP comes up with here. But, I do hope that they've not abandoned a Win 7 slate just to make an iPad-like media consumption device. We really need the ability to create content, not just look at it.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic