Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I would like to use Pandora in my car and plan on buying a new head unit to do so. What gives the best sound quality: Bluetooth, USB or AUX input?
    usb

edit: nvm, I don't thing you can transfer pure audio through usb with the pre. It would connect as a hard drive, so you can access saved music, but not pandora
    I use the aux input and it sounds great. Most of the new head units have both bluetooth and aux input jacks.
    Aux input best if available and if the wires don't bother you.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
  5.    #5  
    If using the Aux input, does it connect to the Pre where the headphones connect or where the charger connects? Is there a specific cable you can recommend buying? I plan on using Touchstone for charging in the car, btw.

I'm trying to decide If I should get a head unit with bluetooth or without to do this.
    Where the headphones connect. Any 3.5mm stereo connector cable will work.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
  7.    #7  
    Thanks! Does anyone on here use Pandora w/bluetooth? Just curious on how that sounds as well as being able to take phone calls while using it...
    I listen to Pandora with my stereo BT Backbeat 903 headset and it sounds great.
    I listen to Pandora all of the time using a BlackBerry Stereo Gateway adaptor into an aux input. Sounds very good to my ears and works well. I get occasional BT "glitches" (not sure if its the Pre or the BT receiver), but nothing terrible. I love being able to just drop my Pre into the little vent holder and it connects as soon as I start the car.

Having said that ... the Aux input probably has slightly better audio quality ... if you don't mind the cables and having to manually connect/disconnect each time. I've heard that not all BT audio devices are created equal, the quality can vary quite a bit, so I'd either get a recommendation or demo specific units.
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    I listen to Pandora all of the time using a BlackBerry Stereo Gateway adaptor into an aux input. Sounds very good to my ears and works well. I get occasional BT "glitches" (not sure if its the Pre or the BT receiver), but nothing terrible. I love being able to just drop my Pre into the little vent holder and it connects as soon as I start the car.

Having said that ... the Aux input probably has slightly better audio quality ... if you don't mind the cables and having to manually connect/disconnect each time. I've heard that not all BT audio devices are created equal, the quality can vary quite a bit, so I'd either get a recommendation or demo specific units.
    While using Blue tooth for playing music can you still use blue tooth for calls while doing this?
    I use Radiotime to get local stations here in SoCal where the valleys just kill terrestrial broadcasts. It sounds much, much better going through the AUX input in my Infiniti than the standard FM stereo signal does even when it's perfectly clean. I just plug into USB for power, because streaming sure does like to burn some battery.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    i'm using pandora wiht a blutooth adapter connected to a radio transmitter. i do get a static sound in the background.
    don't forget to go into pandora options and turn on the higher quality audio!!!
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I use Pandora through the aux input. When I get calls it just routes the call through the car speakers and uses the mic just like its on speakerphone. Sometimes it doesn't allow them to pick up my voice right away but usually after fiddling with it it works fine. Then goes right back to the stream. Very nice.

At home I will stream Pandora through my Motorola Bluetooth EQ5 and leave the Pre on the Touchstone. Works like a charm.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    My truck's factory stereo only has an aux input. I bought a Motorola T-605 bluetooth car kit, and plugged it into the aux port of the stereo. Pandora sounds great through it. Out of curiosity about how much better it would sound if I went from the Pre's headset jack straight into that same aux port, I hooked it up directly and thought it sounded WORSE than it did via bluetooth!

I'm not an audiophile, but bluetooth, a touchstone on the dash, and Pandora work great for me.....
    I use Pandora through aux and also through Bluetooth. Both sound great! Two headsets I have and love are Samsung SBH600 and Sleek Audio SA6. Sleek Audio uses Kleer wireless technology - CD quality wireless sound. The downside is you have to plug in a small transmitter to the 3.5 jack.
    I would get a retractable aux cable, for a cleaner install.
    I use my car's aux in and listen to Pandora, Slacker and Radio Time (for sports and news talk) as well as MLB Mobile Premium to be able to listen to live games.
    I have a BT receiver in my truck. IMO, Pandora over BT sounds like radio. It's ok, but not all that good. In contrast, music on my Pre played through the music player via BT sounds terrific, just as good as a CD. Pandora via an AUX cable is much better.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    I drive a Mazda three with integrated BT. Pandora works without a hitch via BT. However I do prefer the sound via my car's aux 3.5 jack. The audio quality is just better. Now for podcasts I rock the BT no problem. With Podcasts I cant really tell the difference between aux and BT.

Another thing Ive observed is which the phone plugged in, Pandora running and BT on...the phone gets pretty toasty. Via Aux with BT off it seems to run cooler.
    For those listening with an AUX cable, you can get a cable with an inline mic. Also, if you're using AUX and charging at the same time, you may need to either charge via Touchstone or get a ground loop isolator. In my car, charging directly with cable and playing through AUX, sound cuts out after 10-20 min due to a ground loop. Sometimes a ground loop will sound like background noise. If your're getting poor AUX quality, try charging with Touchstone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast