1.    #1  
    Here's my situation. I just got the Pre on Sprint and before that was using a Treo 800w. I have personal data (contacts, memos and calendar items) in MS Outlook 2007 on a Dell Laptop with Windows Vista.

Previously I'd sync the Treo 800w with the laptop via Bluetooth. From what I've read here I can't transfer (or sync) the Pre via Bluetooth, so my next thought was to use the Data Transfer Assistant (DTA).

The MS Outlook on my laptop is not connected to a Corporate Exchange Server. All I'm trying to do is transfer my personal info (contacts, calendar items and notes) from the MS-Outlook on my laptop into my Pre.

I thought the DTA would do this for me but when I fire it up on my laptop it says, "No Compatible Application. You must have stand alone Microsoft Outlook installed to use the Data Transfer Assistant.". My MS Outlook is stand alone, in that it doesn't sync to a corporate exchange server, so why am I getting this error? What are my other alternatives to get this data off my laptop and into my Pre?

Thanks

Steven
    I get the same "No Compatible Application" with Outlook 2003.

Any help would be appreciated!!
    You can always export your contacts from Outlook into a .CSV file and then import that file to gmail.
    In order to sync to outlook, you have two choices. You can use the google sync route (against my religion, but I'll save you the rant), or use a third party tool like Pocket Mirror (which is what I use).

The thing I don't like about DTA is that you can't download them from your Palm profile later. I just helped a person who broke his pre and is trying to figure out how to get his contacts out of his palm profile.

Pocket Mirror lets you sync to Outlook via WiFi or Bluetooth. The downside is that you have to buy the app. However, you can use their 7 day trial to try it out. If it's a one-time sync, it doesn't cost anything. If you like it and want to keep doing it, buy the app and you are in business. PM me if you have any questions... I'm legendary in my opposition to syncing with google...
    LOL... yes... ok, if you are like Cantaffordit and don't trust the leviathan Google You also have another option without having to purchase a 3rd party application. You can also export your contacts to a .csv file, download a copy the Palm Desktop application and import the .csv file to that. From there you can use the DTA to move your contacts into the Palm Profile. An extra step, but it's free and will work for you (and it will also give you a backup of your contacts to keep on your computer).
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/27/2010 at 03:14 AM. Reason: added link
    Wow, the only other time I've seen "leviathan" used properly in a sentence is in the Bible. Well played, sir!

The only thing I'd add to your excellent observation is that the OP is using Outlook, so it would make more sense to import the .csv file to Outlook...

Ps, I don't like sending my info to Yahoo or any cloud service - not just the Leviathan...
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/27/2010 at 03:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Wow, the only other time I've seen "leviathan" used properly in a sentence is in the Bible. Well played, sir!

The only thing I'd add to your excellent observation is that the OP is using Outlook, so it would make more sense to import the .csv file to Outlook...
    lol.. thanks.. years of bible study helped!

Am I not reading OP's post correctly? Isn't the issue that he can't get the contacts to sync OUT of Outlook using the DTA? That's why I suggested he exports them out and into the Palm Desktop software. Dunno.. it's late and I'm turning in because my brain is all fuzzy.. kinda like that big bunny sitting in my chair watching tv. <<yawn>> But.. I'm pretty sure I'm reading his question correctly... or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Hopefully, Thomas Hobbes' work also qualifies
    it would count if I read it
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    You can always export your contacts from Outlook into a .CSV file and then import that file to gmail.
    Thanks for the help... (and the addition to my vocabulary )

So, I've exported my contacts to a .CSV file and imported them to gmail...

What is the next step? I've got my gmail connected already, and I did another sync... what am I missing?

Please help!
    If you added that gmail account to the device and synced, it should have synced your contacts. Check your contact Preferences (dropdown menu at top left of contacts page > Preferences & Accounts > *new gmail account should show in here)

You can also press the Sync Now button there to force a contacts sync.

**NOTE: if you wanted these contacts to sync with your Palm Profile instead of a gmail account (if it makes a difference to you), then use the procedure for importing the contacts into the Palm Desktop app and then out using the DTA. Otherwise, if having these contacts in a gmail account is ok... you should be good to go!
    Doesn't he also need to specify in the contact app that his default is the gmail account? Otherwise, I think new entries would end up in his Palm Profile... As that correct? I'm asking because I have Leviathan-Sync disabled.