1.    #1  
    Having an issue where WebOS quick install (newest version) freezes when I try to do, well, anything (tried themer, device management, and tweaks). I've reinstalled novacom (I think, all I get is the preparing to install window), and tried re-installing preware, but that just fails without explanation.

I'm running Windows 7, newest version of webOS.

Palm's backup sucks, so I'm hoping not to have to do a full re-install. Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by raskolnik View Post
    Having an issue where WebOS quick install (newest version) freezes when I try to do, well, anything (tried themer, device management, and tweaks). I've reinstalled novacom (I think, all I get is the preparing to install window), and tried re-installing preware, but that just fails without explanation.

I'm running Windows 7, newest version of webOS.

Palm's backup sucks, so I'm hoping not to have to do a full re-install. Any ideas?
    Usually when this happens it's because the WebOS Doctor that you've downloaded is corrupt. Delete it and redownload it - this should fix your problem.

It would also be worth ensuring you've got the latest version of Java.

Hope this helps
    SqyArc
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply.

I've tried both of those to no avail, unfortunately. Any other ideas?
    my webos quick install is doing the same thing any ideas
    I couldn't get it to run on a 64-bit Win 7 laptop but I have just succeeded on a 32-bit Win 7 one.

The other thing I did different from all instructions I've read was:
    On the trouchpad when usb cables are connected it asks if you want to go to mode usb drive or to close - I just left that panel open didn't select either option.

I will try again on my 64-bit laptop and report back.
    I tried all the same tricks on 64 bit Win 7 without success.

I think the Novacom drivers installed by the start-up pane are 32 bit ?

I tried uninstalling them and installed some 64 bit Novacom drivers I found from a google search, but I think they were for WXP because they hung the laptop as soon as I invoked QuickInstall afterwards.

Took a while to clean up the mess afterwards.

Giving up with 64 bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmastere View Post
    I tried all the same tricks on 64 bit Win 7 without success.

I think the Novacom drivers installed by the start-up pane are 32 bit ?

I tried uninstalling them and installed some 64 bit Novacom drivers I found from a google search, but I think they were for WXP because they hung the laptop as soon as I invoked QuickInstall afterwards.

Took a while to clean up the mess afterwards.

Giving up with 64 bit.
    First off, make sure you're using the current version of WOSQI. Then, I'd suggest checking out the official WOSQI thread, checking out the official WOSQI Homebrew Guide app, and ignoring a lot of what Google says (as there's a LOT of outdated guides out there).
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Hello,

First I really want to thank you for all you do for all of us.

WOSQI worked great with XP Home 3pk

But I've tried to get it running on Win7 HP for 3 hours so far...
    Did the steps and tried all the trouble shooting.
    Even turned OFF my Firewall/ anti-virus to get webos Dr. to run, and it works fine......but no go with QI.

Have screen shot of novacom service running.

Webos Dr would not run with CIS running and I had to do a .bat file to get it running.

With CIS off still can't see any devices with DevMode on, rebooted PP and computer > in Charge only, directly in any computer usb port.

Did all the searching for another 2 hours, to see if there was a work-around anywhere and no go with that either.

I am in need of Preware and tried the stand alone and the java file get NO device found, followed ALL of the suggestions (they're the same as QI install.) NO go there.

Thank you for your valuable time and support.
    I was unable to get Novacom drivers to work on a 64 bit W7 PC. QI will just hang when launched, had to revert to XP. Can only use mass storage mode on W7 PC.
    Hey jccjmml7 sorry to hear your having problems also.

I also borrowed a 64bit W7 laptop, (mine is 86) today, and tried all the steps again.. same result...
    I even got the Universal Novacom to install but the same, most annoying error again and again "no device found" especially after waiting for a reboot of W7.

QI worked before I had to do a webos reinstall of the Newest HP 1.4.5.1 junk reinstall, yesterday, that wiped out to many things like being able to turn off data on main drop down list. And too many other things.

And now I have "just a theory" that it has something to do with QI not seeing the device.

Why should QI work on the same system / OS and turn around and than NOT work after a reinstall with webos DR? I really don't think it is QI.
    It more than likely the new HP re-install.

They don't want us to have that OLD working great PRE Plus, they want us to BUY a brand spanky new device.

Did HP ever want us to use Preware? EVER?

I have the Preware standalone and the .jar file, and nada work.

Besides I love to speculate.

Anyone have an OLD 1.4.5, or an OLD 2.1 reinstall laying around, or a workaround for QI to work?
    Please?
    You can doctor to previous versions via webosinternals.org if you wanted to try that. I have not worked with 1.4.5 or 1.4.5.1 and W7, just 2.1 (which did not work). I somehow feel it is a Novacom issue though, even though you can see the service running. I understand your frustration completely!!
    By the way, if you doctor backwards, it would be best to update to 1.4.5.1 OTA. Aside from that, to be honest, it would be easier to just borrow an XP machine for like 30 seconds to install Preware. You could meta-doctor to 2.1 and kill the update requests if you did not mind doing the work.......
    How to install webOS 2.1.0 on Pre+ and Pre- using the Meta-Doctor
    By the way, if you doctor backwards, it would be best to update to 1.4.5.1 OTA. Aside from that, to be honest, it would be easier to just borrow an XP machine for like 30 seconds to install Preware. You could meta-doctor to 2.1 and kill the update requests if you did not mind doing the work.......
    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ta-doctor.html
    Hey thanks I really can't live with this new deproved install.
    Even tho it is the first time in 4 months that I could reply, and forward a on-board email. And PDF finally works..... but word view is still junk.... I really can/t live without QI..... Preware.....

By the way, if you doctor backwards, it would be best to update to 1.4.5.1 OTA.
    I WISH... I could go back to 1.4.5 but that OTA thing is a bit OMH.....Over My Head. I'm a newbe to that stuff.

So I'll stand at a street corner with a sign
    "Need to borrow your XP machine 1/2 hour."
    or
    Dual boot or live boot to Mint 10 live....which may suit me a bit more.... LOL...

Thanks again, hope any problems you're having are solved, asap.