1.    #1  
    looks like the 2nd Gen SPK download link was taken down.... can anybody help me in posting them or dm me the link to them, thanks!
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    What's a second gen SPK?
    send a pm to caj2008
    i just tried, and the links work
  5.    #5  
    that's weird I tried it very early in the morning anf it wasn't working
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Theres a second gen? WHERE!
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Links are active, just downloaded on original thread (read caj2008 last post it is interesting). By the way this version is more stable than Uber kernel. Seems like they removed a lot of code necessary for stabillity in the OS1.41 version or that Uber kernel tried to do too much with that gobnah thing installed.
    Last edited by ujsc; 04/30/2010 at 12:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ujsc View Post
    Links are active, just downloaded on original thread (read caj2008 last post it is interesting). By the way this version is more stable than Uber kernel. Seems like they removed a lot of code necessary for stabillity in the OS1.41 version or that Uber kernel tried to do too much with that gobnah thing installed.
    That's an interesting couple of assertions you are making there. Since you asked, perhaps it's time for the facts of the matter to be reported. I have previously refrained from reporting these facts out of respect for the work that caj2008 has done (as some may incorrectly misinterpret the objective technical facts below as a negative commentary on the excellent work that caj2008 has done in deploying and supporting the first generation of overclocking solution), but you have crossed the line of starting to spread outright misinformation which needs to be corrected.

1) The kernel in the SuperPreKernel was built in March by Marco (unixpsycho), and has not been updated since. It is based on the webOS 1.4.0 kernel source code from Palm (as that is all that was available from Palm at that time), not the latest webOS 1.4.1(.1) source code from Palm which matches what is running on 1.4.1(.1) phones. You can verify this yourself by running "cat /proc/version" on a device running that kernel and looking at the build host and date.

2) The reason why the SuperPreKernel still contains a webOS 1.4.0 kernel is because the maintainers of that package have not updated the kernel from the webOS 1.4.1 source code from Palm, and have not accepted any offers to incorporate an updated kernel (e.g. the GPL Uber-Kernel) built by other people into the SuperPreKernel package. It is also notable that the kernel in the SuperPreKernel package does not include the internal CPU temperature patch, because it is a webOS 1.4.0 kernel which has not been updated at all since March (over a month ago).

3) There are many source code level changes from the Palm webOS 1.4.0 kernel to the Palm webOS 1.4.1 kernel. It seems that the changes are not enough to stop a webOS 1.4.0 kernel from working with the rest of the webOS 1.4.1 operating system (this is normal in Linux, as the kernel interfaces are well defined and stable), but they are significant changes nonetheless. Note that the changes were not evident before Palm released the webOS 1.4.1 source code, and are not likely to have any impact on overclocking performance in any way, but rather affect other things like the virtual memory subsystem code.

4) The Uber-Kernel and the Govnah application are two separate items. You can use the Uber-Kernel with the CPUScalerUltimate application and service. You can use the Govnah application and service with the SuperPreKernel if you wish (although you won't have access to the other standard governor choices or the internal CPU temperature sensor). Both use open standard Linux cpufreq control interfaces, to allow exactly the mix-and-match of solutions that users will need to be able to find an overclocking solution which best meets their need and the particular characteristics of their device.

5) The overclocking performance of a correctly installed and configured SuperPreKernel and a correctly installed and configured Uber-Kernel will be identical on any particular device. See http://forums.precentral.net/showpost.php?p=2412077 for the details on how the two kernels are identical in most areas.

6) Different devices will behave differently when operated outside of the guaranteed specification limits. It is not possible to take a result from one device and expect that a second device will show the same result. To do so is to not recognise the variation in the manufacturing process, the tolerances of other components in the phone, and the speed binning process employed by SoC vendors.

Regarding your reference to caj2008's last message, you will note that the above 6 points are objective technical fact, stated unemotionally, and not disparaging any of the various overclocking solutions in any way, as opposed to the two unsubstantiated assertions that are contained in your post. I'll leave the reader to determine which might be the cause of disharmony in the community.

People should use the overclocking solution that they feel most comfortable with, and should not try and convince other people that one solution is better than another. They should present the objective technical facts without added opinion, and let the reader decide for themselves which solution is right for them. And they should do it in an unemotional and nonpersonal manner - it's a smartphone overclocking solution, not a religion.

I personally hope that the developers of the Super Pre Kernel will update its embedded kernel to use the webOS 1.4.1 source code, apply the open source internal CPU temperature patch, and release an even better solution for the community to be able to choose as their overclocking solution. Multiple solutions and choices are good for the community - just look at the example of WOSQI and Preware. The key thing is that the solutions should have an open architecture and be interoperable.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    ok i've now been searching for two days to find the two files neede to get my pre running at 800mhz. Every link seems to take me to mediafire where i am told the files are private.

please help
    Quote Originally Posted by davidganderson69 View Post
    ok i've now been searching for two days to find the two files neede to get my pre running at 800mhz. Every link seems to take me to mediafire where i am told the files are private.

please help
    No need to be upset. SPK (Super Pre Kernel) is no longer being supported. You would have to get the IPK's from an individual.

There are other options to run at 800 MHz that are currently available and in active development, look for Uber Kernel and Govnah.