1.    #1  
    hello,

where can bell customers (canada) find replacement for broken usb/charger cables. I just bought a blackberry mini usb cable, it charger but usb transfers obviously don't work. EspaceBell is my last hope but i'm not even sure. Anyone knows?

Second question on the same subject, if I purchase a touchstone kit, does it include the usb cable?

thanks a lot
    Any micro usb cable is fine the plastic around it might need to be trimmed a bit to fit in the back of the touchstone and no the touchstone doesn't come with a cable
  3.    #3  
    that's what best buy people told me too, but those cables are only good for power supply but not for usb transfers. Weird, looks like palm has its own kind of cable. Problem is to get one...
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    Any micro usb cable is fine the plastic around it might need to be trimmed a bit to fit in the back of the touchstone and no the touchstone doesn't come with a cable
    They might work for charging but not for data.

You can get genuine Palm cables really cheap on amazon.com

I recently bought a couple of Palm charging kits (tiny folding plug + usb cable) for less than $10 each.

Amazon.com: NEW OEM Palm Travel Charger for Pre Treo Pro 800w Pre, Pro, 800w, Pre Touchstone Charging Dock: Cell Phones & Service

Lets me keep a plug in each room and have plenty of genuine palm cables. Yes, there are cheaper ones, but these have that pretty silver dot on them...
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but USB is USB. Why won't it work for data?
    An Iphone walks into a bar with a Palm Pre on it's shoulder. The bartender looks up and says, "Hey, that's pretty cool, where can I get one of those?" and the Palm Pre says "Hipstertown, they're all over the place"
    Quote Originally Posted by badhairguy View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but USB is USB. Why won't it work for data?
    I think that there are some cables with two pins that are joined. I vaguely recall reading something about that in one of the forums. I know that I have several cables that work for charging but QuickInstall doesn't see the phone.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    OP get on the chat with a palm rep they will replace it for free its covered under the standard 1 year warranty.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    I am able to USB connect to my Pre just fine using my wife's BlackBerry USB cable.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    OP,, the touch stone doesn't come with a cable.
    On Bell, and I bought a bunch of cables from monoprice...all different sizes too and super cheap! I placed them all over too (work computer, car charger, home computer, laptop, etc.) and they all work with charging AND data.

As everyone said, the touchstone doesnt fit with these cables (doesnt even come with one), but im sure if you shave the rubber down it'll fit. Personally, I used the original palm cable with the touchstone and the monoprice cables everywhere else.
    It's a conspiracy!!!

I'm having a problem with my 2$ cable here in Tawain too. Can anyone definatively state Palm's cables are unique and thus OEM's will not work, or won't work adequately?
    M100=> 180 => 270 => 600 => 650 => 680 => 680 => 680 => Pre(GSM Pre minus)=>Galaxy S2 32GB
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    My OEM palm is the one that is no good, actually i have to see if they still replace them for free. Drops data/cpu connection constantly, and charges slower than molasses.
    I am using my wife's spare data cable and charger from her LG Lotus, cable disconnects from wall plug like ours so it was my first choice. But i have had success with the cheap import car charger as well. Blackberry chargers as well.
    I am guessing what you folks are seeing is that you bought USB charging cables. This is not something specific to Palm but specific to USB technology and can be present in any type or size of USB cable. Some USB cables are built only for charging (don't have as many wires), then other cables are built for data and charging. I have a cheap generic cable that works for both (bought it from the computer cables area of Frys).

My guess is some of the super cheap cables folks are getting are of the charge only type (IIRC it's 2 wires instead of 4 as said above, but I can't remember). I am guessing you would find this especially in the micro USB's made for phones, vs ones made for use with computer components as most USB cables used with computers are being used for some for of Data primarily, with power needed to power whatever the device is.

I use a cheap USB for charging at work (the one mentioned above), and every time I plug in it recognizes the Pre as a device.
    monoprice.com.

you can buy a micro USB cable for something along the lines of $3 each. I use 3-4 of them with my Pre.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I am guessing what you folks are seeing is that you bought USB charging cables. This is not something specific to Palm but specific to USB technology and can be present in any type or size of USB cable. Some USB cables are built only for charging (don't have as many wires), then other cables are built for data and charging. I have a cheap generic cable that works for both (bought it from the computer cables area of Frys).

My guess is some of the super cheap cables folks are getting are of the charge only type (IIRC it's 2 wires instead of 4 as said above, but I can't remember). I am guessing you would find this especially in the micro USB's made for phones, vs ones made for use with computer components as most USB cables used with computers are being used for some for of Data primarily, with power needed to power whatever the device is.

I use a cheap USB for charging at work (the one mentioned above), and every time I plug in it recognizes the Pre as a device.
    I agree, that's likely the cause. I have a cheap OEM cable from monoprice.com and it works with data and charging.