1.    #1  
    After 8 years i thought i have seen it all with verizon.
    I have called again verizon tech support about gps issue. After all explanation of my problem with my gps, i was told by one of the technicians in order for

gps to work , yes the gps and not vz navigator, verizon had to add their "software" which runs through cell towers in order to make gps work.

That software is included in navigation!!!!!!. You have to pay for navigation.
    When i asked why the statement of assisted and standalone gps if its not standalone they said thats how palm made the device and each network has the right to make you pay or not pay for this gps to work.

Does anybody else continue to believe that its their gps thats working without that piece of software required from verizon in order to make your gps to work????

They only forgot to add this info in details on their website, but then again its not that important........

If you dont use vz navigator its not your gps that works but its the cell tower signal pinpointing your location.

It explains why when some people state their gps works but dont know why apps which require a gps to work cant find their current location.

Palm needs more people calling about this issue so is verizon if enough people do there is a good chance they will remove restrictions. Numbers make wonders .. Make the call!!!!
    did you install the new software update today 1.411? I thought it fixed this problem.
    (Type "up" on your phone to find the update app)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    did you install the new software update today 1.411? I thought it fixed this problem.
    yes did it yesterday, but like i said thats what i was told by technician.
    talked to PALM they said there was not gps fix in this update.

They are working on a solution, but we need more people to call palm and verizon with same issue. verizon can not make us pay for using the real gps in google maps. Tech did not deny about this, but this is first i have heared of it. Palm confirmed that it is a standalone gps and should work fine with google maps.... its been 4 months since pre plus release on verizon we need more calls to verizon and palm in order to resolve this issue.
    I'm with you 100%. I called Palm, and yelled at Verizon. Funny how they always say at Verizon "oh really you are the first to report such issue!" Bunch of BS
    I still don't understand the problem. I have VZ navigator hidden (thank you homebrewers!). I have never had a problem with Google Maps, Latitude, SendMyLocation, etc. Accuracy is always good when I'm outside.

I'm sure the tech was making that up, or he was thinking of when they had to add software to the tower systems as part of the Rev-A upgrade about 3 years ago.

Make sure you install 1.4.1.1, turn on location-based services, then go outside for 5 minutes, and see if Google maps shows your correct location.

When you are inside (can't see the satellites) it will triangulate off cell towers and your location will be within a mile or two...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I still don't understand the problem. I have VZ navigator hidden (thank you homebrewers!). I have never had a problem with Google Maps, Latitude, SendMyLocation, etc. Accuracy is always good when I'm outside.

I'm sure the tech was making that up, or he was thinking of when they had to add software to the tower systems as part of the Rev-A upgrade about 3 years ago.

Make sure you install 1.4.1.1, turn on location-based services, then go outside for 5 minutes, and see if Google maps shows your correct location.

When you are inside (can't see the satellites) it will triangulate off cell towers and your location will be within a mile or two...
    seriously, what is wrong with you? I have seen you in the last day alone make at least 5 claims that WE are doing it wrong and that their is nothing wrong with the GPS. Stop telling people to make sure they turn services, are outside, ect... We get it, we know how it works. You are the one who cant seem to get it through your head that something is wrong with the GPS. My phone never had any problems with the keyboard, but I dont go around telling people that they are typing wrong or typing too fast. I know there is an issue, just not on my phone so I am not going to tell people they are doing something wrong and pretend its not an issue.

This is why things dont get fixed, we have people like you who run around claiming nothing is wrong and that its a user error. You have been on this website for long enough to be aware of the GPS issue, stop acting as if this is the first you have heard of it. You sound like the verizon tech support.
    Last edited by reidoreilly; 04/29/2010 at 10:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    nope. not fixed. Started Google Map - location unavailable for 2 min.
    Started VZ navigator - found me.
    Back to Google - in 20 seconds suddenly location is "available" and around 10 ft where I am sitting right now...
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-usp45 View Post
    Back to Google - in 20 seconds suddenly location is "available" and around 10 ft where I am sitting right now...
    this is exactly what im trying to tell everyone.... it is a lock on a gps the lock is in webos software {done by verizon} to restrict gps usage. its almost like: there is a GPS on board it came from PALM with drivers for it. It was removed by verizon entered to vz navigator and it act like a key.
    ITs not to technical explanation, but i told palm why cant they just take verizons pre plus and see is there is any " bug" in the webos . we will see. dont forget Palm cant make verizon remove it (depending where it is ) since verizon is the dealer. Anyway palm had bad commercials, poor sales i guess they were no place to call shots.
    Now that they are under hp umbrella who knows if they do it right.... verizons will be beggin palm to be on their network. Verizon made big mistake not getting iphone (then cool device). we will see what apple will have in store on september for verizon. their so called multitasking sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-usp45 View Post
    Try turning off location services. That way google maps will ask you if it can use location services when you start it. Maybe it will behave differently. I haven't ever had this gps problem, so I'm having a hard time understanding what you are seeing.
    I was having this problem too, but then i realized i was either inside or it was a cloudy day when i couldn't get a gps signal. I turned on Google location services and it now finds me indoors its a little off but when I go outside and acquire a gps signal its spot on. Dont know what exactly i did to fix it, but it works great.
    I can't figure this out. My gps wasn't functioning without first opening VZ Nav (webos 1.4.1.1). I installed the 800 mhz patch and some other stuff, and it works great now. Even restarted luna a bunch of times but it still works perfect
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    the gps isn't perfect for me in 1.4.1.1 but its usable now. give it some time to get a fix.
    Finally got gps to work today (sort of)... Outside, blue skies and sunshine... Took about a minute or so for google maps to find my location, but it was off by a few hundred feet, which is the exact same result I get using google services.

so yeah, it found me... But still not quite at the level of accuracy one would expect gps to be at.
    I'm confused as to why I would need to go outside to enable GPS.

I have had the pre set with location services turned on but that it must ask permissin to use it when launching any relevant app such as google maps. My results have been very inconsistent but typically the map will show me to be quite far from my actual location.

Meanwhile, my iPod touch is able to pinpoint my location quite accurately when sitting on my toilet connected to wifi. What is my touch using to find me? It certainly isn't based on cellular triangulation
    I am thinking of getting the Palm Pre plus I might have to go with AT&T so I have gps.

Verizon did this with the BB 8830 WE
    Verizon Pre Plus user here. I used Google Maps with VZNav open, not subscribed, today while getting lost in Atlanta. It could have been the clear skys, or they got it working on my phone, but it was spot on for every stop and turn I had to make. I was very pleased, until I noticed my battery quickly dying, luckily I got to somewhere familiar before my phone died.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsaunders View Post
    I am thinking of getting the Palm Pre plus I might have to go with AT&T so I have gps.

Verizon did this with the BB 8830 WE
    Is GPS a deal breaker for you? Every time I ride with someone trying to use their phone for driving directions, I feel like I'm going to die before we reach our destination. The are trying to talk on the phone, watch that little screen, wonder if they missed instructions while they were on the phone, and on and on and on. I try to keep my Garmin with me so I can just stick it on the windshield and take their phone away from them. I did that to my Boss the other day and I just told him to use the Garmin....

Yes, I like GPS for Yelp and Latitude, etc. But when I'm driving, no thanks.

So, the GPS works, although VZ is not giving consistent access to aGPS which isn't used by a dedicated GPS like Garmin/TomTom/etc. I'm confident the homebrewers around here will figure it all out, but is it a deal breaker if they don't? Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by Farris View Post
    I'm confused as to why I would need to go outside to enable GPS.

I have had the pre set with location services turned on but that it must ask permissin to use it when launching any relevant app such as google maps. My results have been very inconsistent but typically the map will show me to be quite far from my actual location.

Meanwhile, my iPod touch is able to pinpoint my location quite accurately when sitting on my toilet connected to wifi. What is my touch using to find me? It certainly isn't based on cellular triangulation
    Why would you have to go outside? Because GPS signals are basically line of site. If you are getting accuracy on your iPod, it's because you are getting sufficient signal. There is no way to get any GPS info via Wifi because it won't know anything about you other than the IP address of the router you are conencted to. Of course, I don't have an iPod, so it's possible that theyre is a GPS radio in the iPod. If that's the case, it could be getting aGPS from at&t towers. It makes sense because an iPod is basically an iPhone without a GSM radio...

But, my Garmin doesn't work inside either. If I get close enough to a window it will sometimes get a signal... but GPS and Satellite Dishes are both intended to be outside where they can see the satellites they are trying to communicate with...

It's also possible that your ISP tells google where all their routers are, and they are using that to find you. I guess you'd have to walk around your house and see if your location moves on google maps from one end of the house to the other and from the back fence to the front sidewalk... so get off the toilet and start testing!
    Quote Originally Posted by squeezy View Post
    Verizon Pre Plus user here. I used Google Maps with VZNav open, not subscribed, today while getting lost in Atlanta. It could have been the clear skys, or they got it working on my phone, but it was spot on for every stop and turn I had to make. I was very pleased, until I noticed my battery quickly dying, luckily I got to somewhere familiar before my phone died.
    Yep, using those apps really sucks the battery because they are using the GPS and Phone radios all the time. Google maps needs the internet connection to keep pulling down maps so the phone radio stays on most of the time. The GPS radio will stay on to keep track of your movement. You will also notice that your phone gets really hot, especially if it is sitting on your dashboard, because your windshield is like a big greenhouse that traps all that solar energy.

All those are reasons why I use a regular GPS rather than my phone. I know that sounds so 1999, but there are just some things I don't want to do with my phone...