1.    #1  
    I finally got to put my Pre Plus to the test today in a situation that is the main reason I got the phone. I was traveling today, with a 3 hr layover in one airport. My Pre Plus did the trick perfectly. I used to have bring my laptop with me in such a situation to help pass the time and hope there was free WiFi in the airport. Today it was just me, my duffle bag carry-on and my Pre Plus. I checked some emails, replied to some email (with not one single double character...and I don't have 1.4.1 installed yet), downloaded some free apps, bought my first paid app (Deer Hunter...very fun, even with tricky controls), browsed the internet, and generally just made the time pass much more quickly. Later, after arriving at my destination, I was in a grocery store with my father and I needed to get something for a recipe, but I couldn't remember all the ingredients. I fired up the browser and had the recipe in about 45 seconds.

All-in-all, my Pre Plus did everything I needed it to do, and it did it perfectly.
    congrats

glad to hear it

webOS rules
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    My Palm Pre has failed me a few times in real world situations but it has also come through a time or two.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by r-nice View Post
    My Palm Pre has failed me a few times in real world situations but it has also come through a time or two.
    would be cool to hear a more detailed report if you remember
    Love my pre! wish it was a pre plus tho!
    i love the pre, but you could have done all of those things on just about any smartphone.
    I have my Palm Pre connected to my work via Microsoft Exchange and I have to agree, I can literally work remotely (with some restrictions of course) like emailing, conference calls, etc without my laptop. Done it a few times and it can sometimes be an eye opener.

If anyone that works in corporate ever get an email saying their company will now support personal smartphone that has microsoft exchange, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE jump on it. Palm webOS is a corporate smartphone powerhouse. Trumps any Blackberry I've used the last few years.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Sounds like the next ipho, I mean Pre commercial.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiliu78 View Post
    ... Palm webOS is a corporate smartphone powerhouse. Trumps any Blackberry I've used the last few years.
    There is one area where it is limited...Microsoft Office Document editing. I have Scratch and that is a good first step to some ability to edit documents, but it does take a couple extra steps. So, it is important I think to get some developer to step up to the plate (hey, baseball/softball season, it's a seasonal metaphor) and bring us an office suite app.

But other than that, I've used my Pre VERY effectively to keep in touch while on the go. No more "when I get to a hotel tonight I'll check those emails and get back to you." The time to respond is now, baby! Forget Boingo! Forget paid T-mobile hotspot issues...I got signal! I got code! I can respond to your email RIGHT NOW! I can read that PDF or doc file you sent me and talk about it RIGHT NOW!

Hey, maybe that's a tag line...webOS...right here...right now...
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    I finally got to put my Pre Plus to the test today in a situation that is the main reason I got the phone. I was traveling today, with a 3 hr layover in one airport. My Pre Plus did the trick perfectly. I used to have bring my laptop with me in such a situation to help pass the time and hope there was free WiFi in the airport. Today it was just me, my duffle bag carry-on and my Pre Plus. I checked some emails, replied to some email (with not one single double character...and I don't have 1.4.1 installed yet), downloaded some free apps, bought my first paid app (Deer Hunter...very fun, even with tricky controls), browsed the internet, and generally just made the time pass much more quickly. Later, after arriving at my destination, I was in a grocery store with my father and I needed to get something for a recipe, but I couldn't remember all the ingredients. I fired up the browser and had the recipe in about 45 seconds.

All-in-all, my Pre Plus did everything I needed it to do, and it did it perfectly.
    Your story should be a commercial for Palm. No seriously, it should be b/c that is how you advertise the real world usefulness to someone.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    It's odd. I work with excel sheets nonstop but I have no desire to edit MS Office docs on my Palm Pre or on any smartphone on a tiny screen for that matter. It's leaves room for a LOT of errors. I mean, think about it - are you fully comfortable making an edit to any document - if it's in Word or Excel on your Palm Pre and then sending it along to your peers without proper QA/QC? I would not. And if the same peers find a mistake and discover that I made the edit on my smartphone and sent it out as is, I would look irresponsible. That my opinion. I can view MS Office files on my Pre now, but to edit...no thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiliu78 View Post
    It's odd. I work with excel sheets nonstop but I have no desire to edit MS Office docs on my Palm Pre or on any smartphone on a tiny screen for that matter. It's leaves room for a LOT of errors. I mean, think about it - are you fully comfortable making an edit to any document - if it's in Word or Excel on your Palm Pre and then sending it along to your peers without proper QA/QC? I would not. And if the same peers find a mistake and discover that I made the edit on my smartphone and sent it out as is, I would look irresponsible. That my opinion. I can view MS Office files on my Pre now, but to edit...no thanks.
    Exactly. Viewing MS Office docs is one thing. Editing them is another. I don't get the point of trying to edit a document on a 3 to 4in screen. It's pointless and can lead to a lot of errors. And if the doc is that important where you must edit on the go, a company issued laptop is a much better choice.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Oh I understand, it is not a primary way to edit your documents. I have occasion while I'm traveling to have to make changes to documents that have to go out of my office that day. The doc was created by me, left for peer review, and now, before it can go out, I need to respond to comments by a peer reviewer. It is easier to wordsmith (no advertisement for another doc editor ) a few sentences myself than try to verbally convey changes. The changes I make will be looked at by the peer reviewer again, to make sure his/her question/comment was answered. Sure, I would like to have an external keyboard to do that, and a bigger screen, but if I CAN do it immediately by pulling off the highway for 15 minutes and then be on my way, I would. And, with my Pre+ keyboard behaving now (thank you v1.4.1.1!) it's not so bad to type on my Pre anymore!

But it's not a need for everyone. I think there is a big enough number of users to justify the need...but there are many who don't need this functionality.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Lol Rockbeast. Love the tag line. It's catchy and I like it. And I totally agree about the awesomeness of the Pre, even though it is lacking in a few areas such as the document editing. Someone needs to light a fire under Dataviz.
    I wonder what Dataviz will do now that HP is puying Palm? Their announcement a few days before the purchase announcement said that webOS version development of DTG is at a standstill and they have no firm plan to continue. They may, but there is no schedule or commitment.

Thanks for the kind words, but maybe expand on the 'tagline' to say:

webOS...right here...right now...so, don't get left behind...

And a video of 2 or 3 people using their smart phones...one webOS, one Apple, and one Android. All three are trying to get to a play, or a movie, or a dinner, etc. Each one needs some directions, each one has to respond to a text, and receive a calendar notification, and a call from their friend who is waiting for them the theater/restaurant.

The iphone user struggles because everytime they are looking up directions, they get interrupted by the call, the text, and the calendar notification. (since there is no multi-tasking), don't these apps close when you answer a call or respond to the text/calendar notification? Do you have to start from scratch?)

The Android user can multitask, but has trouble finding the open app to go back to google nav or whatever...so he's sort of lost.

The webOS user flows smoothly through all these tasks and arrives at their destination happy and safe...and dry...did I mention it began to rain?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Oh I understand, it is not a primary way to edit your documents. I have occasion while I'm traveling to have to make changes to documents that have to go out of my office that day. The doc was created by me, left for peer review, and now, before it can go out, I need to respond to comments by a peer reviewer. It is easier to wordsmith (no advertisement for another doc editor ) a few sentences myself than try to verbally convey changes. The changes I make will be looked at by the peer reviewer again, to make sure his/her question/comment was answered. Sure, I would like to have an external keyboard to do that, and a bigger screen, but if I CAN do it immediately by pulling off the highway for 15 minutes and then be on my way, I would. And, with my Pre+ keyboard behaving now (thank you v1.4.1.1!) it's not so bad to type on my Pre anymore!

But it's not a need for everyone. I think there is a big enough number of users to justify the need...but there are many who don't need this functionality.
    exactly.. it would be great for when i'm completing an assignment last minute, and am forced to review it on the road. THen i noticed that i had horribly misspelled a word, and cause of spell check picking the wrong word,, the sentense now makes no sense.

i wouldn't even consider typing a whole assignment on it, but changing a few words would be nice..
    Nimer55, that would be painful! Have you seen the movie RV? Robin Williams has to type up a whole presentation...he uses his laptop, but it's stolen. So he only has one way to do it and send it in to his boss (I know, outlandish, but you have to see the movie...too much to explain!). He ends up using his Blackberry, or Treo...can't remember. So all night long he's typing, hands cramping...I was thinking "NO WAY!" Typing a whole presentation on such a tiny keyboard would be torture. If a bluetooth keyboard could be used...that would be a little better, still such a small screen though. I have an idea...with every MS Office suite app sold for the Pre, you get a set of magnifying eyeglasses, so your screen looks bigger! Call before midnight, and you get a second one free!