1.    #1  
    My wife is up for a replacement device in May. I have had my Pre for 9 months and love it, she "likes" it, but is unsure if that is the direction she wants to go.

She could opt for the Pre, but then would be "stuck" with it for two years. Not knowing if there will be an upgraded Palm webOS device on Sprint (whether that would be the Pre Plus or something entirely new) is extremely frustrating and trying to make a decision in this environment is extremely difficult.

I wish Palm/Sprint would get off the pot and announce something as many Pre owners who opted in on launch day are in the same boat. I guess I am lucky I waited until September to get my Pre as I will not have to make this difficult decision, but my wife keeps after me as to what she should get.

What do y'all think?
    I agree! I also got my Pre in September, so I'll be coasting along reading the reviews of the EVO and whatever else all summer. All I hear is rumblings of new hardware, but I too would like some specifics. I'm not too impressed with hearing the next WebOS update will be in the fall, as that's a hell of a long time away and is honestly right around the time I would be hoping for a real WebOS 2.0 and the annoucement of a new device. After having a taste of Android, I'm not too keen to hop on the EVO train, so I hope they can give us some kind of info before the EVO comes out.
    There's a whole bunch of us eligible for upgrade on June 1. It will be interesting to see what shows up on Sprint around that time.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I know how you feel. I got my pre on release day and even though i like it, I like getting the new gadgets. Sprint has been calling me wanting me to renew my plan since it ends in June offering all sorts of discounts. I'm thinking of getting the EVO 4G when that comes out, however if Palm announces a new phone (even just a pre plus on sprint) before the release of the EVO 4G, i will consider waiting.
    The next update is due in the fall? wow! I didn't know that!!
    Quote Originally Posted by brillrick View Post
    I'm thinking of getting the EVO 4G when that comes out, however if Palm announces a new phone (even just a pre plus on sprint) before the release of the EVO 4G, i will consider waiting.
    I agree completely. I'm itching for an upgrade, but am not thrilled by the size of the EVO. The form factor of the Pre is still my favorite: while I've always thought they need to release a Pre2, I think a Pre+ would hold me over for another year.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    yeah, my dad and I are both eligible for an upgrade.

He is tired of it and I'm wondering too. He might go to the Evo 4G or probably won't get a new phone at all. I will probably get the evo 4G unless palm comes out with a VERY good screen size and technology, good battery, and comparable specs to the evo.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I think what we all really want is that next level of hardware. I know Palm is/was a small company, however, I am accustomed to getting new hardware every year and I'm okay with that. The fact that for me a sprint user there has not been even an inkling of an announcement of new hardware is frustrating.

It would be nice if Rubinstein would say "hey we have new hardware coming in late 2010". It usually takes a few months from the announcement of a new phone until sales. It's May now and there hasn't been a new hardware announcement, which probably means no phone will be released until fall.

This is trade-off we have to deal with because palm was so small, most of their money wasprobably tied up in webOS development rather than new hardware development.
    Sprint needs to offer a clear roadmap for their entire smartphone lineup. Despite yesterday's improved financials, they are continuing to shed boatloads of postpaid smartphone users. And their current rickety lineup where they don't have the top notch device for ANY smartphone OS, yet have some of the highest prices is a good reason why.

Evo is not enough by a long shot.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Sprint needs to offer a clear roadmap for their entire smartphone lineup. Despite yesterday's improved financials, they are continuing to shed boatloads of postpaid smartphone users. And their current rickety lineup where they don't have the top notch device for ANY smartphone OS, yet have some of the highest prices is a good reason why.

Evo is not enough by a long shot.
    You're saying Evo won't change the game? I think it will, if marketed well enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    The next update is due in the fall? wow! I didn't know that!!
    Um... er... no. There's been some confusion around this since the Palm developer conference they had last weekend.

There are a number of nice capabilities coming by the Fall (note, not "in" the Fall), but it's not been stated in any way, shape, or form that "the next update" has any particular timeframe attached to it. There's every possibility (probably, likelihood) of incremental updates that will include some, most, and eventually all of the capabilities discussed at the conference.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    And incidentally, the idea of switching away from webOS, now that HP is buying Palm and committing wads of cash to making it successful, seems... well... kind of silly at this point. I mean, if you've liked it so far, I can't imagine not having the patience to stick it out just a little while longer. Things will be getting very, very cool, and personally I plan to see what they can come up with.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Like the Pre, think the Evo has all the bells and whistles but the question is how will it be once it is released. When it comes down to it, it is Android based and doesn't have the sleekness of WebOS. I will have to see it one in action but not really sold on the entire package. Will see once the summer rolls around.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    how does the upgrade eligibility work?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I need to see some new hardware announced by Palm ASAP. I'm ready to move on from the Pre.
    I wouldn't mind if they just gave the pre plus to us...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    My wife is up for a replacement device in May. I have had my Pre for 9 months and love it, she "likes" it, but is unsure if that is the direction she wants to go.

She could opt for the Pre, but then would be "stuck" with it for two years. Not knowing if there will be an upgraded Palm webOS device on Sprint (whether that would be the Pre Plus or something entirely new) is extremely frustrating and trying to make a decision in this environment is extremely difficult.

I wish Palm/Sprint would get off the pot and announce something as many Pre owners who opted in on launch day are in the same boat. I guess I am lucky I waited until September to get my Pre as I will not have to make this difficult decision, but my wife keeps after me as to what she should get.

What do y'all think?
    Not to divert from your point, but she's only "stuck" for one year.

If I were her though, I'd give it a couple more months before I did anything.