Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Hi everyone, firstly, great community here, I've been silently learning about WebOS from it. I've decided to make a jump to WebOS now that unlocked GSM Pixi +'s are starting to show up on Ebay. I've found a UK seller who's got hold of some QWERTZ factory unlocked Pixi +'s and I'm massively tempted to get one but I was wondering about using it on TMobile UK.

Hopefully some other UK users can give me some guidance on this (though not only UK users ). Will I have full access to the AppCat and software updates etc if I get a German device to use on a UK operator? Will my 3G work flawlessly or will I need to do some tinkering? As long as I have AppCat access and access to all the services on the phone (Palm Profile etc) I'll be happy to use a QWERTZ keyboard.

Looking forward to the lovely formfactor and gorgeous OS, just looking for some final confirmation it will work properly on Tmo UK before I join the WebOS ranks

Thanks in advance
    I'm using a QWERTZ Pre on Virgin Mobile, activated on 3 (couldn't wait for my new SIM from Virgin!).

App Catalog is working perfectly for me, though OS updates seem a little slow to come through.

Profile works, sync with Google worsks, sync with exchange works. No issues at all.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Ah wow, that sounds great! Just out of curiosity, what kind of speeds do you get on your current line? What's the reception like of the device in areas you know the reception isn't so great?
    I tend to use WiFi for heavy data usage - the rest of the time, the Pre is sitting in my pocket just picking up email once an hour from each of 6 different servers. I haven't done speed tests.

I have lousy signal at home but voice & SMS are pretty reliable and it can get a GPRS signal most of the time - occasionally going up to 3G if I stand in the right place. No better or worse than signal was on my old Centro & Treo and comparable with my wife's LG.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    I see, I use wifi at home but when I'm at work I'm not allowed to connect to the corporate wifi and I'm up quite high in a skyscraper so terrible reception, 2 bars of gprs on my Moto Milestone and HTC Hero before that, hoping the Pixi's got great reception or at least as good as my current phone otherwise I'm screwed - considering that's where I spend most of my day :-/

Another couple of question to anyone who can answer:

How does WebOS handle SMS threads with dozens of messages? Lag? Freezing? Loss of messages?

It's my understanding that your data is backup up with your Palm profile. Does this include your messages? Are these backed up messages accessible for viewing off the phone later on?
    I'd go for the pre if I was you, there is a lot more people working on apps, patches for that than the pixi. afaikafaikafaik $anyway$.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    really, ALL qwertz ones are unlocked. It's german law.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Thanks guys, I'm going for the Pixi because I don't want anymore sliders. I've been buying flagship phones for the last few years, Symbian, WinMo and Android, top of the range, heavy, feature packed and think I wanna go back to basics, light, smart and easy, but deals nicely with all my cloud stuff and has a good keyboard. If i dont like the Pixi but still want to stay with WebOS I might get a Pre+, subject to availability in the UK.
    The only Pixi Plus I can find on ebay is 519! ***?!

Looks like I'll have to wait till it comes out on contract here.
    Keep an eye on Expansys - they seem to be buying up unlocked QWERTZ devices as quickly as they can.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by corsavan View Post
    The only Pixi Plus I can find on ebay is 519! ***?!

Looks like I'll have to wait till it comes out on contract here.
    No they're actually selling them for 380, I phoned the guy yesterday because he hiked the prices overnight, he told me it's because they got sold out real quick and he wanted to put people off ordering the last 2 until new stock came in so he put the prices up. Said he'll get new stock by Wednesday and the prices should come back down when that happens
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    really, ALL qwertz ones are unlocked. It's german law.
    actually this is not true. There are a lot of simlocked phones here in germany. (just to mention the iPhone).

but nevertheless, Palm Pre(+) and Pixi+ are indeed unlocked.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_maq View Post
    As long as I have AppCat access and access to all the services on the phone (Palm Profile etc) I'll be happy to use a QWERTZ keyboard.
    Note that you can use the WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor to fix the keyboard.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Thanks buddy, luckily it just works fine without the Doctor's help
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Note that you can use the WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor to fix the keyboard.

-- Rod
    Hey Rod, how would I go about getting the UK App Catalogue to show up? I've realised there are some apps that are available on UK appcat that don't show up on my Pixi+, seems to be showing me German apps...
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Activate the phone for the very first time in the UK.
    I did though...
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Nooo, why do these weird things always happen to me!!
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    I see four options:
    - Someone activated it in Germany for the very first time
    - You're in fact seeing the UK Catalog but mistaking it for the German
    - Your phone has some activation error that locked it to the country of origin AppCat
    - Palm has changed the activation procedure

First question that pops up; did you activate it with a UK SIM card inserted?
    The guy who sent it to me from Germany hadn't turned it on, I activated it for the first time with my UK T-mobile sim :-/
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Did you know the seller before buying the phone?
    Nope, but it was all new when I got it, bought from o2 Store...
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    I see, and approximately how many apps do you see in your AppCat?
    Not sure, how do I check the total number? I know that the Flixster app which I was after shows up in the UK appcat but in my one it doesn't show up at all...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast