Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ..just wondering if HP could possibly take a negative interest in us home brewers? What if they decide "Preware" is more harm than good? Same WOSQI , filecoaster, you know,, all that neat stuff that's been grown "outside the box??
    highly doubt it. Caz all these progrmas and apps make the pre better. So
    If they do it probably won't be for a while.
    I think you should have to register your phones I'd number before being able to homebrew. That way palm can't be held liable for problems.... Imagine how fewer replacements would have to be given out..
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    I think you should have to register your phones I'd number before being able to homebrew. That way palm can't be held liable for problems.... Imagine how fewer replacements would have to be given out..
    How many replacements are due to *something* in homebrew potentially breaking it? I would think the number is pretty minimal.

Now, how many replacements are due to true defects and abuse by owners?
  6. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    They could absolutely shut it down. But I think the people at Palm would make a good attempt at convincing them otherwise. That is, if they considered it.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    We'll just go underground..
    Could they? Certainly. Would they? Highly doubtful.

I think that anyone "in the know" would recognize the value of tools like this to the success of the platform. Even though my guess is that there is a small fraction of Pre/Pixi users are here and utilize these tools, they would have to understand the value that these tools have provided.
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    We'll just go underground..
    That's actually a good point.
    I hope not so we don't end up like iPhone community.
    Why? Palm still standalone company and HP is parent company only. Palm still makes politics and softs, thats it.
    I don't see it happening. If HP weren't creating a business segment for Palm, I would agree.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    I have read on this forum alone, numerous replacements because of people applying homebrew and not knowing how to fix it. In my opinion if you screw up your phone from hacking, you should be responsible for it. Registering your phone as a hack job would be mandatory if I ran palm. Otherwise I would shut it down...
    anything could happen with HP, however if they do plan on having Palm run as a separate business unit, it's likely homebrew will continue.
    Quote Originally Posted by iverieli View Post
    Why? Palm still standalone company and HP is parent company only. Palm still makes politics and softs, thats it.
    Nope. Palm will be an HP business unit, not a standalone company. As such, its leadership will report up through the usual HP hierarcy--there will no longer be a CEO, for example, but rather something like a Senior VP. And HP could certainly decide to lock down the core OS, making things like the overclocking and such impossible.

I really don't know what to think. On the one hand, for us technical folks, the patching and homebrew and such is very attractive. For the masses, however, it's not necessary and can be a problem for a company like HP. Once there are millions of people running webOS devices, then support becomes more of an issue. I think HP might take all of that into consideration, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them lock things down more than they are now.

Personally, I'm okay with that to a certain extent, and no offense to all the folks who've put in so much work making this a great "hacking" platform. However, with so much more money available, Palm should be able to do many of the things we get from patching themselves more quickly. As much as I like the landscape email patch, for example, I wish it were built into the OS. And the overclocking is nice because it's necessary; once we have all of the coming performance improvements like CSS transforms and webGL, we won't need to overclock at all.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    Considering people who return the phone are usually complaining about physical defects and those who are smart enough to get a patch to break the phone know how to use the Dr, so I'd say there would be maybe two fewer replacements given, and I'm betting I'm two high.
    HP is very interested in Open Source applications.

Example: They took Ubuntu and remixed it for their netbooks. Now they are interested in Moblin Linux.

Their printers are by far the most compatible with the Linux OS.

While they are a very big company, they have an interest in OS community and if Palm can convince them that the Preware community helps WebOS by freely creating updates and fixes and patches I think HP will understand the benefit there is in this community.

All Palm has to do is make an update to WebOS using mostly the free patches available here, show HP the almost $0 in developing costs by using Open Source patches and I think HP will be OK with it....
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    HP is very interested in Open Source applications.

Example: They took Ubuntu and remixed it for their netbooks. Now they are interested in Moblin Linux.

Their printers are by far the most compatible with the Linux OS.

While they are a very big company, they have an interest in OS community and if Palm can convince them that the Preware community helps WebOS by freely creating updates and fixes and patches I think HP will understand the benefit there is in this community.

All Palm has to do is make an update to WebOS using mostly the free patches available here, show HP the almost $0 in developing costs by using Open Source patches and I think HP will be OK with it....
    You could be right. I do agree though that it will take awhile to feel the impact.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    If HP is as interested in pushing these devices out for enterprise applications as they have traditionally been, then they will have to tighten up the security and reliability of webOS. Having such a hackable OS isn't compatible with most enterprise applications. Most enterprise customers would gladly give up features for less maintenance. They probably don't even want the monthly OTA updates if it is going to brick some phones.
    I could possibly see a webOS Enterprise Edition that is tied in to a corporate server (similar to BES as I understand it). Updates will be pushed down from there, just as many businesses use tools to push out Windows patches, etc, instead of relying on windows update. I don't see why Luna couldn't be run from within a jail.
    I would think that they would more want to purchase or offer lic right to be able to make the patch or just take it and add it automagically
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast