Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    See Press Room - WebOS Internals for the official word on what Palm thinks about homebrew and WebOS Internals (quoted here for your convenience from the video transcript of the Palm keynote presentation at the Sprint Developers Conference):

Ben Galbraith (Palm Director of Developer Relations): "I wanted to go back to the previous question on WebOS Internals just for a second, because I don't know how many of you know this but when we shipped our first device in the Summer, some developer communities sort of emerged way ahead of our capacity to actually create our own official developer program, and I just wanted to express our gratitude at these communities, at the incredible work that's happening there. We watch the communities, we're very grateful for the work that you do, and in the future we want to do more to reach out to you guys who have created these communities and create first-class relationships with you. So I just wanted to let you know that we really appreciate the work that you're doing."
    Mitch Allen (Palm CTO): "We are really amazed at what this group has done and very impressed by the work."
    We have no reason to believe that will change with the merger with HP.

Note that all current webOS hardware has an unlocked boot loader, so there is no way that any hardware currently in the field can be locked up such that Preware will not function. It's all just a matter of a bit more work for us if anything changes in the OS, but Preware and homebrew will survive and prosper regardless.

But as I said, we expect that the existing responsible unofficial symbiotic relationship between Palm and homebrew will continue unchanged.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 04/29/2010 at 09:28 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    Forget about HP, the question is will Palm lay the hammer? Only reason why preware and homebrew exist is because of poor Pre sells.
    non sense!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    Lets honestly think about this. Do you really believe all the patches and "unapproved" software would have been welcomed with open arms had Palm sold the Pre like hot cakes? They have no choice but to embrace the "openess" of webOS montra.
    YES!!!
    From TechCrunch:
    I asked Humphries to expand a bit about webOS and how it stacks up to rival mobile OSes made by Apple and Google. I also asked why HP wouldn’t just develop its own mobile OS as Apple has done? “We think it’s one of the best operating systems out there today. We see nothing in development in the next 3 to 5 years that comes close,” Humphries said. “We want to take HP’s financial strength and use it to take webOS to the next level,” he continued.

“We’ll compete aggressively in the market with Apple and Google. We’ve got our hands on a very compelling operating system,” Humphries concluded. He also noted that the plan is to keep it as open and friendly to developers as it has been.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    See Press Room - WebOS Internals for the official word on what Palm thinks about homebrew and WebOS Internals (quoted here for your convenience from the video transcript of the Palm keynote presentation at the Sprint Developers Conference):

We have no reason to believe that will change with the merger with HP.

Note that all current webOS hardware has an unlocked boot loader, so there is no way that any hardware currently in the field can be locked up such that Preware will not function. It's all just a matter of a bit more work for us if anything changes in the OS, but Preware and homebrew will survive and prosper regardless.

But as I said, we expect that the existing responsible unofficial symbiotic relationship between Palm and homebrew will continue unchanged.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    From TechCrunch:
    I asked Humphries to expand a bit about webOS and how it stacks up to rival mobile OSes made by Apple and Google. I also asked why HP wouldn’t just develop its own mobile OS as Apple has done? “We think it’s one of the best operating systems out there today. We see nothing in development in the next 3 to 5 years that comes close,” Humphries said. “We want to take HP’s financial strength and use it to take webOS to the next level,” he continued.

“We’ll compete aggressively in the market with Apple and Google. We’ve got our hands on a very compelling operating system,” Humphries concluded. He also noted that the plan is to keep it as open and friendly to developers as it has been.
    And there we have it. IMO it does not look like there is any question or anything to add.
    Palm/HP and Precentral live on.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123