Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    If HP decides to "lock down" the OS, it will become another Iphoney in my mind. I think more things should be open source, it strengthens technology. IMO
    I was a proud supporter of Palm, HP
    WebOS running on the Palm Pre, Pixi, and now the TouchPad.

Amazon =
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    I would think that they would more want to purchase or offer lic right to be able to make the patch or just take it and add it automagically
    Actually, yes, I was thinking kind of the same thing in the back of my mind. They could use the current homebrew/patching community as a sort of skunkworks, maybe even give them more "semi-official" support. I also wouldn't be surprised if some of the current members are offered jobs...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    HP just purchased a business that they don't have much expertise in. They purchased Palm to makeup for a lacking in their own business. You don't hire experts and then tell them what to do right off the bat.

I think HP has pretty clearly stated that they are going to have a hands off approach and let Palm do what they think is best. Where you will see HP's hand come into play is adding WebOS into their other devices like tablets where both companies will collaborate a bit.

Overall you don't want to stifle a fledgling technology. HP is just gonna pump some nutrient rich money and let Palm grow.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Actually, yes, I was thinking kind of the same thing in the back of my mind. They could use the current homebrew/patching community as a sort of skunkworks, maybe even give them more "semi-official" support. I also wouldn't be surprised if some of the current members are offered jobs...
    I think that this is likely.

If I were HP and trying to position myself perhaps as a rival to Apple, I'd play on one of the complaints made against Apple...it's highly proprietary approach to it's software/Apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Berath View Post
    I think that this is likely.

If I were HP and trying to position myself perhaps as a rival to Apple, I'd play on one of the complaints made against Apple...it's highly proprietary approach to it's software/Apps.
    Absolutely, another good point. One of the things that Palm has done best is create an incredibly open and attractive development environment. The ability to get apps installed on webOS outside of the official App Catalog gives Palm a huge leg up over Apple, and I believe is much better supported than Android. Perhaps HP could find a way to keep things open while still locking some things down (like the kernel), but then again, why?

Ultimately, it's a relatively small handful of people who actually take advantage of homebrewing and patching, and so really support issues are minimized. But, the advantages from such an open platform could be much more significant.

This is going to be a very interesting year or so...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    maybe this is crazy, but could Palm implement an official "Patch Catalog," where devs could submit and sell Palm approved patches, and a Beta feed where (almost) anything goes? Enterprise customers could limit their devices to the official apps and patches, and consumers could install whatever they want. This way, Palm can say that the platform allows users to have power to customise their devices, while still playing gate-keeper to keep the "bad stuff" away from those who don't want to experiment
    can anything really be shut down. Don't think this will happen, but if so, someone will find a backdoor.
    Looks like their going to support webos and it's openness!

HP Doubling Down on webOS
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    I think you should have to register your phones I'd number before being able to homebrew. That way palm can't be held liable for problems.... Imagine how fewer replacements would have to be given out..
    Dumbest...comment...ever.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, “I don't need to drink to have fun.” Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Forget about HP, the question is will Palm lay the hammer? Only reason why preware and homebrew exist is because of poor Pre sells.
    Actualy, thier Chief Technology/Stratey Office, Shane Robison implied how they percieve the applications community here:

Q&A: HP's strategy chief on the Palm acquisition - Big Tech - Fortune Brainstorm Tech

Here is the excerpt:

"The last time you and I talked, we talked a bit about Android and the reasons why it’s attractive to use. I take it with this announcement that you’re not going to be using Android at all. You’re in a good position owning the software, but it’s difficult to monetize an OS in an environment where a competitor like Google is giving it away.

That’s the advantage of doing the whole system. We’re going to have a very elegant solution, including an app store, and an applications community. I think we’ll be able to, with our tightly integrated approach, be very competitive and very differentiated. "
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I dont think so. right now, the whole development process relies on the same methods used by preware and WOSQI. unless they really want to tell all of the developers that they are going to radically change how to develop for the platform, and start from scratch again, I think they will keep it as it.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Lets honestly think about this. Do you really believe all the patches and "unapproved" software would have been welcomed with open arms had Palm sold the Pre like hot cakes? They have no choice but to embrace the "openess" of webOS montra.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    I have read on this forum alone, numerous replacements because of people applying homebrew and not knowing how to fix it. In my opinion if you screw up your phone from hacking, you should be responsible for it. Registering your phone as a hack job would be mandatory if I ran palm. Otherwise I would shut it down...

its really not a hack job since palm isn't against it and as far as phone breaking from patches well that's where the dr. comes in to play i myself am on my 5th pre all from hardware related problems nothing to do with preware or patches and I have 40 patches installed along with a theme so.....

..also to comment on the topic I hope they would never that would be horrible
    I think a lot of the most popular patches and features (re-theming) should be merged into the core OS.

From a marketing standpoint, they should keep the "open" facet out there to wave in Apple's face.
    I think that since webos is based on open source software, and since hp also sells laptops with their own flavor of ubuntu netbook remix linux it's unlikely they'll make such a move that would "close" webos to customization.

hp also made a comment about creating content "accessors" rather than providers. Which is why they're spanning across multiple platforms on multiple devices. Some people like android, some will like windows phone, and some (hopefully someday most) webos. Now, anyone who likes webos will be buying an hp device. It's like if philadelphia was the only place you could get cheese steak
    To HP Homebrew is free. Most time in the office corporate environment things get stale. Ideas can slow down. That's why new people are hired from other companies. It gives a new outside perspective. The very reason HP is buying Palm for 1.2B With the community here, there is no cost to HP. IT is always evolving with new people and fresh ideas. There is TRUE USER feedback. Something that an R&D does not have. There are developer agreements where the updates or new software are given out in advance. Again these are outside, real users all over the world. It is priceless to a company like HP. They know and have seen what has gone on with Apple and they know what the community is feeling. And we know that in the end, HP hopes to put a dent in Apple. As far as the broken, patched phones. It is a VERY small price when looking at the whole picture.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    I hope not so we don't end up like iPhone community.
    mmm I had an iPhone, you can jailbreak it with blackra1n, which lets you install Cydia, which is a massive app/patch/theme program, just like preware. I did it on my iPhone, I got many patches similar to preware, and thousands of themes to choose from, and un-approved apps.
    There was also a patch I got that let you multitask with texting, but that was it.
    Twitter: adamcarter
    Quote Originally Posted by vtboyarc View Post
    mmm I had an iPhone, you can jailbreak it with blackra1n, which lets you install Cydia, which is a massive app/patch/theme program, just like preware. I did it on my iPhone, I got many patches similar to preware, and thousands of themes to choose from, and un-approved apps.
    There was also a patch I got that let you multitask with texting, but that was it.
    And in every release Apple is trying to close it down.

That's the main difference. In webOS I just need to punch in the Konami code and all is loose. No hacking required to hack.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    In my fantasy world I imagine Palm, HP, and the Homebrew community working together. Palm/HP integrate the Patch and Theme community into webOS and make it available for everyone. All of the patches will go through a short testing period to make sure they actually work as they are supposed to and don't have any underlying functions. They can market the fact that because of patches and themes, you can make your phone actually your phone and customize it within limits of course.

This may be the direction that HTC is going with their marketing compaign but we can do it better.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast