Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    lets face it, we have a niche phone...an effin bad *** niche phone. Other phone companies offering this type of phone, i think going through financial woes would not have gotten 1.2b in a buy out. WEBOS is what it is all about but....

we have an active phone community. whether its a problem with your phone, gripes, complaints, we at this forum are virtually a free tech support/support group.

we have active homebrewers as well as people pushing their pre's to the limit.
    we have users who have created better commercials then palm's marketing group did, and we have a huge userbase capable of making palm a trending topic via viral campaign.

I think this site made hp feel better about buying palm...what about you?
    I highly doubt they ever even came here. If they came here they'd just read negative threads about "IM JUMPING TO THE EVO GUYZ, F U!!!!" and countless threads on screen cracks and constant reboots, headphone jack problems, oreo effect. They'd just read tons of "bad" stuff about Palm and think twice wether they'd want to invest in this product.

We're not as important as some people in here would love to think.
    WebOS sold them on buying Palm.

If active communities sold Phone making companies then XDA would have us beat. As an ex WinMo guy, that place is THE community.

This place is pretty awesome though.
    I'm sure there are a lot of things HP took into consideration when considering the buyout. And nothing is more comforting that to see a strong community built around something you plan to acquire. It at least shows that there is a lot of value in this relatively cheap purchase.
    I'd like to think that MY posts alone accounted for a $0.03 per share boost in offer price.

You are all welcome!
    I'm with Lions, the community probably mean nothing to HP. From my communications with other people they consider the population of WebOS users so small as to be unhelpful in both basic phone function and programming, even if they were all smashed together in one forum. Obviously they haven't seen Precentral or internals, but that's just there general feeling.
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    HP: WhoCentral?
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Finally all those seances and trips to the voodoo doctors have paid off.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryantdunivan View Post
    lets face it, we have a niche phone...an effin bad *** niche phone. Other phone companies offering this type of phone, i think going through financial woes would not have gotten 1.2b in a buy out. WEBOS is what it is all about but....

we have an active phone community. whether its a problem with your phone, gripes, complaints, we at this forum are virtually a free tech support/support group.

we have active homebrewers as well as people pushing their pre's to the limit.
    we have users who have created better commercials then palm's marketing group did, and we have a huge userbase capable of making palm a trending topic via viral campaign.

I think this site made hp feel better about buying palm...what about you?
    I don't agree the phone is bad. When you consider the number of Pre's sold and the number of problems posted, the percentage is pretty small (an likely is well within the acceptable failure rate that any hardware manufacturer considers). The blackberry I used for years was pretty cheaply made as well as a number of winmo phones I used. For the record I've had mine for a year with zero problems (the oreo effect is clearly a design flaw but did not lead to any kind of failure).
    what percentage of the webos users are even here? I would assume less then 15%...
    Quote Originally Posted by agny6283 View Post
    what percentage of the webos users are even here? I would assume less then 15%...
    I think your estimate is inflated...I would say 5% at most, but who really knows?
    Quote Originally Posted by agny6283 View Post
    I think the percentage is considerably higher. The people who buy underdog, "niche" products because they know what they have to offer would indicate a more technical breed than say your typical iphone user. I suspect a large percentage of those people have already discovered this site. Even soccer moms know how to google "Palm Pre" after their purchase.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glynnmi View Post
    I don't agree the phone is bad. When you consider the number of Pre's sold and the number of problems posted, the percentage is pretty small (an likely is well within the acceptable failure rate that any hardware manufacturer considers). The blackberry I used for years was pretty cheaply made as well as a number of winmo phones I used. For the record I've had mine for a year with zero problems (the oreo effect is clearly a design flaw but did not lead to any kind of failure).
    you dont get any leverage in swearing here ha ha, it was supposed to read a bad (word for donkey) niche phone.

wasnt saying the phone is bad, but I think precentrel played a role in the acquisition.
    you dont get any leverage in swearing here ha ha, it was supposed to read a bad (word for donkey) niche phone.

wasnt saying the phone is bad, but I think precentrel played a role in the acquisition.
    The language filters are there for a reason.

Lol! I stand corrected.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    I'd like to think that MY posts alone accounted for a $0.03 per share boost in offer price.

You are all welcome!
    Well, I hate to mention it but...I'm afraid the quality of my postings may have accounted for a $0.04 per share DROP in offer price...sorry...

Just kidding...only a $0.02 drop, actually :P
    Quote Originally Posted by SportingLions View Post
    I highly doubt they ever even came here. If they came here they'd just read negative threads about "IM JUMPING TO THE EVO GUYZ, F U!!!!" and countless threads on screen cracks and constant reboots, headphone jack problems, oreo effect. They'd just read tons of "bad" stuff about Palm and think twice wether they'd want to invest in this product.

We're not as important as some people in here would love to think.
    WebOS sold them on buying Palm.

If active communities sold Phone making companies then XDA would have us beat. As an ex WinMo guy, that place is THE community.

This place is pretty awesome though.
    not important, maybe, but the stock analysts are listening, and making decisions, based on these here forums, even when they shouldn't be.

check it out, these analysts actually made recommendations based on a poll here in these forums.

Palm Pre: Sales Great, Share Price Inflated (A Bit) | John Paczkowski | Digital Daily | AllThingsD

so weather we have an impact on crappy analysts is not up for debate, weather we have an impact on HP is a different story.
    There are four lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Let's say the defect rate is 10%. That means only one out of 100 users should have two defective phones. One out of a thousand should have three. One in ten thousand should have four.

The fact that there are so many users around here who are on their fourth and fifth phone would suggest that the defect rate is significantly above 10%. Even one of the Precentral podcast regulars (I can't remember which) is on more than five devices. In fact, even if the defect rate was a whopping 50%, the chance of having five defective units is only 3.1 percent.

Now, here's where the guys who are on their original Pre with no problems chime in. There are about a dozen of them.
    Ok this stuff could make a statistics professors head spin but you are not factoring in the fact that all "new" units that had a problem are replaced with refurbs. I know from experience that refurbs generally get a quick checkout and are recycled if they have no obvious problems. So is the hardware bad or did Sprint simply recycle broken phones as refurbs? Was it a hardware problem or a proccess issue. Palm wasn't the only company looking at the bottom line.
    math isn't your friend huh? 10% of 100 is 10, not 1. :P
    Let's say the defect rate is 10%. That means only one out of 100 users should have two defective phones. One out of a thousand should have three. One in ten thousand should have four.

The fact that there are so many users around here who are on their fourth and fifth phone would suggest that the defect rate is significantly above 10%. Even one of the Precentral podcast regulars (I can't remember which) is on more than five devices. In fact, even if the defect rate was a whopping 50%, the chance of having five defective units is only 3.1 percent.

Now, here's where the guys who are on their original Pre with no problems chime in. There are about a dozen of them.
    Two defective phones in a row = 10% X 10% = 1%. Friend.
    my fault.
    Two defective phones in a row = 10% X 10% = 1%. Friend.
    Then you might want to change the methodology for your defect rate. A flat 10% rate, which you are clearly implying, indicates 10 defects per 100, 100 defects per 1000, and 1000 per 10,000.

I think i'm not the only one following you here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast