Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    If you're referring to me, I have a sprint Pre. And does anyone know if google services and GPS require a strong EV connection?
    No they do not. It can utilize the EV connection to assist in location, but once it is locked on the satellites no data or phone connection required.
    Well then! Welcome to the world of smartphones. I hope you enjoy it. Obviously I can't speak for everyone but for me convergence represents simplification. For a while I owned a PDA, smartphone and mp3 player, all of which I carried around with me all day. At first I thought I was the cool geek. But it got old fast. Pre is the first device I've owned where I can have all those things in a single device, practically. My old smartphone did play music, but couldn't hold much so wasn't really practical for that purpose since I listen to a lot of music.

For me convergence has been a pervasive theme. For example, my home entertainment system is all in a very small, windows 7 computer in my living room. No more "rack of AVI components" with rat's nest of cables behind. The computer actually looks great in the living room with a bamboo case. The component rack was ugly. And best of all, all of my entertainment needs are on one device controllable via one remote and one on-screen interface. The only visible footprint is the TV, the very small computer and a small display for my surround sound.

So, for me convergence has had many benefits and few or no sacrifices. I used to actually enjoy having lots of different devices but today prefer the similicity and in fact find it fun to try to see what additional things I can converge. I can only see smartphones taking up more roles as time goes on. Many smartphones have expectional cameras, HDMI outputs, even projectors -- anyone thinking of tossing their stand-alone camera and video recorder? I sure am. Can't wait!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScorpionSoul View Post
    clock is a perfect example. Instead of complaining that your alarm doesn't go off, that it's made you late on more than one occasion... how hard is it to embrace a viable alternative, spend $10 for an alarm clock, and be done with it?
    The problem with that is, what happens when you don't happen to have your $10 alarm clock with you when you need it?

I have my phone with me ALL the time...
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Well, let's see: I can use the GPS in my car in the background, while running trapster up front, and having pandora streaming through my stereo in the background as well. And I only need one device to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    6) I rent a lot of cars (part of my job), and sorry to say buy many have speedometers that are way off -- so, I use GPS Dashboard to know exactly how fast I am going via GPS.
    GPS Dashboard is an awesome app, I LOVE it...
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
    Well, let's see: I can use the GPS in my car in the background, while running trapster up front, and having pandora streaming through my stereo in the background as well. And I only need one device to do it.

Crud, forgot about Trapster in my list above
    Not everyone has a standalone GPS or wants to purchase one separately for $100+.

It doesn't drain your battery if you use a car charger.
    A cheap USB>Car Charger can be had for $3 shipped via Ebay.

I reluctantly pay the 9.99 for VZ Nav to have the functionality for apps and in case I get lost/need directions when I drive occationally.

PalmOS: Zire71, Clie NX70V, LifeDrive, T|X
    WebOS: VZW Pixi Plus, now VZW PRE 2

I do use a lot of the functions of this phone that aren't available on standard feature phones, and I'm doing more with it every day. As I said, I'm still new to the smart phone crowd... I'm working my way into the mindset

But I'll tell you the 100% honest reason why I upgraded to a smart phone.

I had the LG EnV2 (great phone for messaging, which I do a lot of), and my wife had the Samsung Intensity (piece o crap). I was due for an upgrade, so I told her that I'd upgrade, she could have the EnV2, and we'd be set.

Verizon re-classed the vast majority of their full keyboard phones as "3G Multimedia Phones" and added a $9.99 data plan requirement. A data plan that did not include texts.

So I ranted about the fact that I refused to pay for something that I had no intention of using, especially when it's not even a smart phone (was going for the EnV3). Figured if I had to get a data package, I might as well get a phone that can use that data package better than a messaging phone.

And here we are. I got a phone I love, and I'm using the hell out of it to get my money's worth out of the $29.99 required data package
    Lets face it if VZW could get away with charging you to turn your phone on or off they'd do it. They're the nickel and dime kings of the wireless biz. Hence thats part of the reason I dumped them after 22 years.

On the other hand, in spite of the numerous flaws, anyone that travels a decent amount needs to be able find their way around. I use it every single time I travel for business. I plug in the address before I leave and when I arrive I just tap a couple of times at the airport car rental facility and it guides me to my destination. I didn't need to bring another GPS unit, another power cord, another piece of hardware.

Back about 8-9 years ago it was still fashionable or reasonable to have a pager/phone/PDA on your belt. I never went that route because its too much to manage. Now where ever I travel to the phone has pretty much everything I need. The only accessory I bring is the cig charger. No need to pay for an expense a GPS enabled rental as well.
    I have a Garmin in one of my cars. The older one in my truck broke, recently...and I didn't need to replace it. Sprint's nav is pretty sweet, and always up to date, where my Garmin needs me to pay to keep it updated (points of interest, etc.). Also, I'm on Sprint, so my Pre's GPS is very accurate.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Here are the apps where I would like to utilize the accurate GPS I'm paying for:

GolfPinFinder - Being located via Google Services is completely useless here.
    GoogleMaps - Google Services location is better than nothing, but if I'm in an unfamiliar location, I'd rather be pinpointed accurately than a few streets off.
    YPMobile - Google Services is usually enough here, provided I am somewhat familiar with the location.
    Trapster - Gotta have accurate location to be warned of speedtraps (or report them) accurately.
    Go here and voice your concerns. The more people who complain, the higher up this gets escalated.

Palm Pre Plus GPS issue - Verizon | Forums and Blogs - Verizon Community
    For the record, the GPS on my Pre Plus has never once been able to locate me, neither before nor after updating to 1.4.1.1.

Anyway, I've got apps such as Where and AccuWeather Plus... both work just fine using Google Services.

As for navigation...I've got a Garmin that I paid around $150 for a couple years ago that works perfectly and doesn't drain my phone's battery.

So the question is... what's the big deal about the GPS on the Pre/Pre+? It seems to be one of the biggest complaints about the phone and, maybe I'm just missing something, but I don't get it.

Is there some awesome array of apps out there that we're all missing out on because the GPS doesn't work (or works slowly)??
    To put it simple: It's just one more hindering aspect of the phone. Why would a developer want to develop an awesome location-based app for a phone who's GPS works minimally at best? Think outside the box ..
    Is your gps plugged in when you use it in the car? So plug in the phone and put it in a cradle. Or you can mount a touchstone on a dash mount if you want to be all techie. Makes it easy to put it in landscape when you need to do nav.

And just the sheer ease of having your contacts and things you look up go right to the nav program instead of having to look up something on one device and type it in on another, especially when time is a consideration.

Being more dependent on your phone means you don't have to have as many devices or spend as much money. What happens when your maps are out of date? Unless you just recently bought something that has updates you most likely are dropping coin on map updates. The screens are perfetct for nav, the OS does it well, and the integration is very good. Why not take advantage of it.
    I'm big on battery life, so for me, I'm trying to stay clear of the functions that use a lot of juice. I have GPS in my car and music on my computer... so those functions are already covered for me. No need to put the extra strain on the battery, as I don't want to have to worry about battery usage throughout the day. If I can get by on charging once per day (or less), then I'm good.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    There are so many applications that use GPS where accurate GPS data is crucial and with that I don't mean Weather and Movies and whatever. Those can get away with AGPS. Say if you're into biking, jogging and keeping track of your exercise through a GPS map, you need accurate GPS. Say you enjoy socializing in foursquare or gowalla, you need an accurate GPS. Say you're looking for bus schedule on Google Maps (I do this quite often as Boulder is a city that's dominated by bus and bike routes) you need an accurate GPS. If you had an emergency in the middle of nowhere and needed to give your location to 911, you need an accurate GPS.

All those reasons put aside, GPS is a service provided by the government free of charge. Verizon has absolutely no right to cripple or block it. It's also unjust how every other GPS phone on Verizon and every other network work fine and Pre Plus GPS not working in Verizon because Verizon is way too greedy and want to charge you $9.99 a month for its VZ Nav service. Especially when you consider that they require a $350 ETF fee for smartphones quoting extra level of bandwith and maintenance they require and when you consider you're paying premium price for Verizon network in the first place.

Need I say more ?
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    To put it simple: It's just one more hindering aspect of the phone. Why would a developer want to develop an awesome location-based app for a phone who's GPS works minimally at best? Think outside the box ..
    Certainly your opinion. The majority of users have no problems with this (outside of VZW of course). I personally know 10 Pre users and all of them have the same performance of GPS that I do, and it is awesome.

If your supposition was correct, I think you would see 0 GPS apps, not the many that we have today.
    In my can, I also use a garmin, and it beats any phone's built in nav, so I know exactly what you're talking about.
    I love having it on the pre for when I am riding around with someone and they get lost, or if I am getting somewhere on foot and need help.

My main use for it however is for geocaching. The gps does not lock on as close as the garmin, so I usually have it handy as well, but being able to run the geocaching app means I can have an arrow point the way instead of of having to go from the coordinates.

I used it once to refind my car in a big lot, but thats no big draw for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by cgokcea View Post
    There are so many applications that use GPS where accurate GPS data is crucial and with that I don't mean Weather and Movies and whatever. Those can get away with AGPS. Say if you're into biking, jogging and keeping track of your exercise through a GPS map, you need accurate GPS. Say you enjoy socializing in foursquare or gowalla, you need an accurate GPS. Say you're looking for bus schedule on Google Maps (I do this quite often as Boulder is a city that's dominated by bus and bike routes) you need an accurate GPS. If you had an emergency in the middle of nowhere and needed to give your location to 911, you need an accurate GPS.

All those reasons put aside, GPS is a service provided by the government free of charge. Verizon has absolutely no right to cripple or block it. It's also unjust how every other GPS phone on Verizon and every other network work fine and Pre Plus GPS not working in Verizon because Verizon is way too greedy and want to charge you $9.99 a month for its VZ Nav service. Especially when you consider that they require a $350 ETF fee for smartphones quoting extra level of bandwith and maintenance they require and when you consider you're paying premium price for Verizon network in the first place.

Need I say more ?
    Actually, VZW has every right to charge you for any service they provide and you have the right to not use that service if you so desire. I dislike VZW because they nickel and dime you to death but I did what a normal consumer would do: I switched the Sprint.

Most phones now are already 911 GPS enabled anyway so thats a moot point.

If you want to play you have to pay. You should have researched your options before venturing forth with VZW. Really nothing unjust at all about their practices. People seem to like them and they continuously gain new customers which, to date is about 93 million. As for the ETF, that really doesn't concern me because I knew what I was getting into ahead of time just like I knew what Sprint's pricing plans would be before I signed up for service.

I understand your frustration and, after 22 years of service, I dumped them and went to Sprint but you have to look before you leap. I've not been disappointed with their level of coverage and features at all and I have 5 handsets plus an aircard so I pay a bit every month, over $400 which includes quite a bit of daily international calls all over the world.
    i use the gps all the time. works fine. well, not with google maps for some reason, but otherwise. i use it with the smartrunner app all the time, and sprint navigation is spot on. now that i'm used to it, i'd probably be ****ed if it didn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd-Ball View Post
    Actually, VZW has every right to charge you for any service they provide and you have the right to not use that service if you so desire. I dislike VZW because they nickel and dime you to death but I did what a normal consumer would do: I switched the Sprint.

Most phones now are already 911 GPS enabled anyway so thats a moot point.

If you want to play you have to pay. You should have researched your options before venturing forth with VZW. Really nothing unjust at all about their practices. People seem to like them and they continuously gain new customers which, to date is about 93 million. As for the ETF, that really doesn't concern me because I knew what I was getting into ahead of time just like I knew what Sprint's pricing plans would be before I signed up for service.

I understand your frustration and, after 22 years of service, I dumped them and went to Sprint but you have to look before you leap. I've not been disappointed with their level of coverage and features at all and I have 5 handsets plus an aircard so I pay a bit every month, over $400 which includes quite a bit of daily international calls all over the world.
    Uhm did I say I tried Verizon for only 7 days and ran back to Sprint without ever looking back ? lol

What I was trying to explain in my post was that GPS is NOT a service provided by Verizon. That's why they cannot charge for GPS. They can only charge you for turn-by-turn navigation provided through their software VZ Navigator. Hindering functionality of other software included in Pre Plus is nothing but criminal greed.
    Quote Originally Posted by cgokcea View Post
    Uhm did I say I tried Verizon for only 7 days and ran back to Sprint without ever looking back ? lol

What I was trying to explain in my post was that GPS is NOT a service provided by Verizon. That's why they cannot charge for GPS. They can only charge you for turn-by-turn navigation provided through their software VZ Navigator. Hindering functionality of other software included in Pre Plus is nothing but criminal greed.

Ok, you're explaining it a bit better but the anger and resentment that VZW had the temerity to charge you for a "free" service isn't based in fact.

You're trying to split hairs here but I'd suggest you go attack VZW for their policies rather than trying to explain to me the intricacies of GPS. I'm aware of Sprint's and VZW's pricing plans as I had navigation on VZW and have it on Sprint. Call it whatever you want; if you want free GPS design and build a receiver and software capable of mapping your location. Would you feel better if VZW just charged $10/month and buried it in the monthly rate?

As for the ability to use GPS for free, again, they can charge whatever they want and they're not charging for GPS but even if they were its irrelevant. You have the option to not pay for it. And good luck proving they are guilty of criminal greed. They provide the handset and offer other value added services or features for a price. You're just angry they lock down their phones so much. Hence, thats why I left VZW.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast