View Poll Results: Should the next gen WebOS device have an Oleophobic screen?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I love a clean screen!

50 67.57%
  • No, I need all the grease I can get!

1 1.35%
  • What's olephobian screenz0r?

9 12.16%
  • I'm on a horse.

14 18.92%
  1.    #1  
    How many of you would like to have an oleophobic screen on the pre and upcoming webOS devices? For those who don't know, Oleophobic screen reduce the greasy prints left on your screen from your finger tips. (iPhone and iTouch have them) Not only does it look nicer, it feels better too. Sorry if other posts are around like this..i have not seen them. Also I know you can buy screen protectors for the pre which are oleophobic...but that's lame. The end.
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

RIP

ipod touch not itouch!
    Oleophobic GLASS screen. As long as it's still plastic, it will still scratch easily, meaning it'll have a screen protector on it anyway.

Now if they made oleophobic screen protectors, that would be something else.
    I'm on a horse.
    I nearly spit my coffee out when I read that.
    who gives a f? But since you mentioned it, many call it an itouch and wikipedia even references it even if it's not the official name.
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    ipod touch not itouch!
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    super amoled!!

I think the hero has an oleophobic screen as well.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    The hero DOES indeed have one. Not much help there. some. I would rather the REST of the next palm device be in a texture like the touchstone back was. I can handle a screen being greasy, but not the whole dang phone! Off topic, I had to switch to T-mo after left my job, and am currently using Android in various flavors. I miss the ease and simplicity of WebOS alot. Hopefully the HP deal with bring this marvelous construction to many many many phones and tablets.
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    ipod touch not itouch!
    I hear more people call it the iTouch...
    And please make the next Palm phone with the same kind of glass on the Zune HD, it's "gorilla glass", unscratchable under day to day circumstances. I've owned Zunes for 3 years and not once scratched it. Scratched my Pre on the first day, but to be fair, never scratched it again.
    I don't really notice a difference between the Pre and the iPhone's screen. The Pre tends to look a little smudgy but doesn't seem to affect the view that much, but the iPhone gets these thick lines on them which really make the thing look like you just ate a pizza beforehand. I don't really think they wipe off much differently either...

Also, you know it was going to be called the iTouch before the researcher (who was apparently absent during the naming of the iPad) pointed out the obvious problem there.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    I don't really notice a difference between the Pre and the iPhone's screen.
    Wow, that's surprising. I found myself obsessively cleaning the Pre's screen when I had it. Thankfully Palm was nice enough to include a pouch that doubled as a "rock polisher" or I'd have gone nuts.

But as for the two in comparison, the Pre screen has an "oily" look to it in sunlight, and you can clearly see the dots that make up the touchscreen sensors. I have to look reeeaaaally hard to see them on the iPhone. I noticed this on the Droid Eris, too.

Also since the Pre's entire face has the same material, the fingerprints aren't necessarily just limited to the screen's viewable area. This was pretty much my #1 hardware gripe with the Pre. But I can see how it would have been difficult to maintain that sort of design with a piece of glass in there somehow. The Pixi would be a much better candidate IMHO for glass due to the "slab" design.

-n8
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    The Pre's screen gets really smudgy.
    The iphone and the pre have the same resolution. The Pre is brighter and more crisp... but of course, the screen is smaller.

They compared the Samsung Galaxy S and the Iphone in a hands-on video, and the Super Amoled Screen makes the Iphone look SOOO bad.
    Coincidentally I have stacks of microfiber cloths from HP laptops at work. They work awesome for a quick polish - I keep one close to each touchstone at the various places I frequent.

Haha, go go HP.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    The Pre's screen gets really smudgy.
    Oleophobic is going to be my word of the day....

I have a friend who is OCD... I bet he is oleophobic.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

How durable are coatings like that? I've had eyeglasses with similar coatings and after 6-9 months it basically wore off.
  16.    #16  
    Its pretty durable I haven't noticed my IPOD TOUCH (LOL SORRYZ) go be coming off or anything. Its not scratched either.
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

RIP

First let's get an Oreophobic one.
    Quote Originally Posted by konsole View Post
    First let's get an Oreophobic one.
    +1 bazillion

I am suprised I didn't come up with that one... lol
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth206 View Post
    Coincidentally I have stacks of microfiber cloths from HP laptops at work. They work awesome for a quick polish - I keep one close to each touchstone at the various places I frequent.

Haha, go go HP.
    Yeah I carry around microfiber cloths as well, lol.
    Why is it everytime I scroll past this thread I can't help but wonder why someone wants a screen that has a fear of margarine? ;-)