Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    I dont want to blame the people typing...but maybe you just arent very good at typing on the Pre?

I dont blame you the keyboard is tiny and hard.

If you haven't....try giving your phone to 5 different people...with different sized digits.

See if the double type issue happens for them.

Im just saying: in the name of the Scientific Method we need to eliminate all possibilities that you don't just suck at typing on the Pre.

I cannot speak for anyone else but I can say with 100 percent certainty that it is not my typing. Ill watch it throw 2 or 3 repetitions of a letter on one button push. Been texting heavily today and its starting to get on my nerves again. Might have to break down and take it in after all.

I'm going to try removing my 800mhz kernal. Because when it doesn't happen the keyboard is flawless then other times its rampant. Almost as if some sort of background process is messing things up. I'm no programmer, its just a feeling. Ill try that and report back.

P.S. This was NOT typed from my Pre.
    The double letter thing seems to be better on mine, but it does seem to miss letters more often. However, ever since the update I haven't been able to send text messages! Annoying!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
    I can say with 100 percent certainty]
    No you can't actually....unless you have some other people try out your phone.

All you are giving us is anecdotal evidence, which im sorry, actually isn't classified as evidence at all. Its a nice story though.

Unless you have a bunch of other people try out typing on your Pre, you cannot for 100% certainty know if it is your way of typing, or the Pre.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by -Gamah View Post
    this entire post (inccluding the title is being tped unedited from a fresshly updated 1.4..1.1 and rebootted pre pplus using sharp, hort keystoke so as not to confuse the issssue with holding the keys for too long.

to be honest I am not surprised it isn't fixed, but rather urprised pallm said it was.
    try doctoring then installing the update?
    I've just verified that if you have the Super PreKernel installed, the double typing comes back, likely due to the fact that it uses the 1.4.0 Palm Kernel as the source binary. It appears the keyboard fix must be at the kernel level, and thus, if you install that overclocking kernel, you get double typing back. Shame, because it's easy to use that package.

Evidence: Double typing was gone yesterday (when I installed the 1.4.1.1 update), as well as this morning when I was still on the official kernel. Once I installed the Super PreKernel double typing came back. It was with me all day until I realized, from the technical discussions on that kernel, that it was using the older kernel as it's base code. I then uninstalled the kernel and the double typing is completely gone. Now I have to keep the key down for repeat characters. I typed a lot using the keys that consistently gave me the double typing and didn't have one single instance.

For those who are on a the stock update files for 1.4.1.1 and still have double typing, I would look to trade the phone out. I think it's still possible that some people had iffy keyboards. But the majority of double typing and missed keys was clearly software. Both are now cleared up on my phone, save my own finger mistakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    I've just verified that if you have the Super PreKernel installed, the double typing comes back, likely due to the fact that it uses the 1.4.0 Palm Kernel as the source binary. It appears the keyboard fix must be at the kernel level, and thus, if you install that overclocking kernel, you get double typing back. Shame, because it's easy to use that package.

Evidence: Double typing was gone yesterday (when I installed the 1.4.1.1 update), as well as this morning when I was still on the official kernel. Once I installed the Super PreKernel double typing came back. It was with me all day until I realized, from the technical discussions on that kernel, that it was using the older kernel as it's base code. I then uninstalled the kernel and the double typing is completely gone. Now I have to keep the key down for repeat characters. I typed a lot using the keys that consistently gave me the double typing and didn't have one single instance.

For those who are on a the stock update files for 1.4.1.1 and still have double typing, I would look to trade the phone out. I think it's still possible that some people had iffy keyboards. But the majority of double typing and missed keys was clearly software. Both are now cleared up on my phone, save my own finger mistakes.
    I concur with your assessment! I also tried installing the uberkernal last night and o/c'd to 800 with cpuscaler. Guess what? No double characters at all.. I typed away to death and nothing... used it all day in "real world" usage and NO double characters.

Moral of story: Pre Plus users who downloaded 1.4.1 and want overclocking speeds MUST not use the superprekernal and instead use the uberkernal.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    No you can't actually....unless you have some other people try out your phone.

All you are giving us is anecdotal evidence, which im sorry, actually isn't classified as evidence at all. Its a nice story though.

Unless you have a bunch of other people try out typing on your Pre, you cannot for 100% certainty know if it is your way of typing, or the Pre.
    This afternoon I handed my phone to a Verizon Regional Ops manager and the first thing she did was try to compose and send an SMS message. In her first two sentences she had two instances of double letters. She acknowledged the problem immediately. This is somone who does a lot of texting on these phones. While I understand that this is also far from scientific its good enough for me. I am certain this problem exists, however it seems from what Falcon has done the problem lies with the old 800mhz kernal. I trust his "anecdotal" report, after all isn't that why we are here?

On a separate note I wish forum members would trust one another. I am not here to slander this phone. I'm really excited about Web OS and this phone. I want nothing more than for this phone to work. I'm here to share my experience and learn from others, not have my credibility questioned.

BTW, thank you Falcon for testing my theory. I am removing the 800mhz kernal immediately. And suggestions on a newer kernal?
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Update. Just removed the superkernal. I typed about a paragraph and I have yet to get a double or triple entry of any kind. Again thank you for the help.
    WhoMe, apparently the Uber Kernel uses the newer 1.4.1+ kernel, which appears to not have the same problem. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to do so tomorrow or Sunday.

I think it's important for people to realize that sometimes you have to go through a thorough troubleshooting process to find the "real" cause of the problem. I work as a Manufacturing Test Engineer for an avionics company and I frequently have to reset technicians to go through a more thorough process of elimination as they like to take shortcuts (as did I when I was a tech). It's the same reason why I had stated elsewhere, before this update, that the keyboard issue was clearly partly software related because I could watch the software loose track and just suddenly spit out letters. Palm has code to try to prevent double typed letters, or accidental typing of two adjacent letters. This was, too me, the obvious location of the likely culprit and appears to be where they fixed it.

Hope my info helps as many people as possible. This phone has gotten blamed for enough issues when sometimes it's just the software guys.
    My double type issue was also fixed with the 1.4.1.1 update. However, I have noticed that the skipped letters is still a problem, although possibly not as frequent as before the update.
    Mine is 95% better. And just in the nick of time as it was getting HUGELY annoying. I'm delighted.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    After some digging I installed the uberkernal overclock along with the govnah scaling app. So far this overclock kernal doesn't seem to cause the double letter that the old superkernal did with the new update. Thanks again Falcon.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    1.4.1.1 fixed my keyboard. There are a few skips and doubles but within expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
    After some digging I installed the uberkernal overclock along with the govnah scaling app. So far this overclock kernal doesn't seem to cause the double letter that the old superkernal did with the new update. Thanks again Falcon.
    +1
    1.4.1 fixed my double letter problems until i overclocked w superkernal. then double letters back. i replaced my palm pre plus w new one. keyboard feels much better no double letters, installed overclock w govnah and NO PROBLEMS!! KEYBOARD WORKS GREAT! ive had the newer phone now x 1 week. and now i can go back to loving my pre plus!!
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by username33 View Post
    1.4.1 fixed my double letter problems until i overclocked w superkernal. then double letters back. i replaced my palm pre plus w new one. keyboard feels much better no double letters, installed overclock w govnah and NO PROBLEMS!! KEYBOARD WORKS GREAT! ive had the newer phone now x 1 week. and now i can go back to loving my pre plus!!
    +1
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I instlled you erkernel and govnh and I am again getting as lot off skips, but less doubling. It is really getting annoying. Better thaan before, but still baad. Not sure if i should just exchange phone.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    mine doesn't alwas double type but it does miss alot of letters that begin with L. Of course, it didn't this entire post. I am annoyed by this problem.
    it lessened with 1.4.1.1 but still there. Ust moe random
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12