Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If they'd done it this way, it would be the best (non-horizontal) keyboard on a smartphone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    If they'd done it this way, it would be the best (non-horizontal) keyboard on a smartphone.
    so smaller, but more spaced out.. It's kinda like the sony/apple laptop keyboards. I actually like those. I'd be interested in seeing how it works on a cellphone.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    so smaller, but more spaced out.. It's kinda like the sony/apple laptop keyboards. I actually like those. I'd be interested in seeing how it works on a cellphone.
    More spaced out, yes, but what do you mean by smaller? Those are the same exact keys.
    I like the keyboard a lot, one handed type on it daily.
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    More spaced out, yes, but what do you mean by smaller? Those are the same exact keys.
    Then how would they get more spaced out? there isn't much room left on my pre.

or would this be for a bigger phone? Like 3.5-3.7 inches?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    Then how would they get more spaced out? there isn't much room left on my pre.

or would this be for a bigger phone? Like 3.5-3.7 inches?
    Look at the two pictures, the phones are exactly the same size. All I did was get rid of the raised edges on either side of the keyboard and then move the keys outward (4 pixels extra between each key, which makes a big difference) and then move them down as well. There's a LOT of wasted space on a Pre keyboard right now.
    So the slider is whobly now, but if you take away the edges, you create space there and the slider has to slide over the keys instead of the edge. It will be more whobly then it is today. Not really an option this way IMHO
    Look at the two pictures, the phones are exactly the same size. All I did was get rid of the raised edges on either side of the keyboard and then move the keys outward (4 pixels extra between each key, which makes a big difference) and then move them down as well. There's a LOT of wasted space on a Pre keyboard right now.

But the problem with this is works great in Photoshop, but terrible in reality. You just removed the "raised edges" -- do you realize those are there for structural stability? Think if those were not there how wobbly the key board would be when extended?

Also, those "raised edges" are there to keep the phone "closed up" when the keyboard is closed. If those were not there, think of the gap you would see on the side of your phone when the keyboard was closed?
    so basically you never want to close the keyboard, is what you're saying. because it wouldn't be possible with what you just threw in photoshop.
  10.    #10  
    they raised edges are NOT there for stability. The thing that causes the oreo (and is supposed to stop it) is inside it - a guided edge with a metal piece on it. Open the back and you'll see it.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre2009 View Post
    so basically you never want to close the keyboard, is what you're saying. because it wouldn't be possible with what you just threw in photoshop.
    of course it's possible. I didn't raise the keys any higher than they are now. Wow, a lot of people with zero imagination.
    I would prefer larger keys and a 3.5inch screen and a 3.7 inch model with no keyboard.

I have pretty small hands, but the current keyboard is a huge learning curve unless you were silly enough to get stuck learning/using a POS with a smaller keyboard or similar in size to the current Pre.

Being realistic, there is no need for the Pre to be as small as it is. A 3.5 inch model would have been just fine. Would have had room for a larger batter too (~2000mahr).
    Just because the Pre today is wobbly doesn't mean a different design would be too, they'd just have used a different slider, probably would be stronger too. I like it, would've been interesting to see how much better it'd work.

Though I'm hoping for a really nice keyboard on the next one. With HP buying Palm now there might be more surprises in store, they might even push for a slab so as not to compete with the Pre and Pixi.
    they raised edges are NOT there for stability. The thing that causes the oreo (and is supposed to stop it) is inside it - a guided edge with a metal piece on it. Open the back and you'll see it.
    Hmm, I didn't mean ANYTHING about oreo, I meant straight good old fashioned physics stability. Oreo is twisting the two pieces, I am talking about the stability of the one piece, the keyboard itself. If I am not mistaken the term of this is "torsional stability".

Try this: take a piece of single ply cardboard, like from a cereal box. Cut it into a the general shape of the back of the Pre (with the keyboard). Grab both ends and twist -- see how easy that twists?

Now take a small plastic frame the same size as the cardboard and glue it to the edges of it. Now twist it again -- see the stability?

Note, even if you take the plastic frame and only cover half of the sheet of cardboard the piece that does not have the frame twists very easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Hmm, I didn't mean ANYTHING about oreo, I meant straight good old fashioned physics stability. Oreo is twisting the two pieces, I am talking about the stability of the one piece, the keyboard itself. If I am not mistaken the term of this is "torsional stability".

Try this: take a piece of single ply cardboard, like from a cereal box. Cut it into a the general shape of the back of the Pre (with the keyboard). Grab both ends and twist -- see how easy that twists?

Now take a small plastic frame the same size as the cardboard and glue it to the edges of it. Now twist it again -- see the stability?

Note, even if you take the plastic frame and only cover half of the sheet of cardboard the piece that does not have the frame twists very easily.
    Man - UWEC's engineering program must be getting more and more intense.
    Quote Originally Posted by flitch81 View Post
    Man - UWEC's engineering program must be getting more and more intense.
    Nah, UWRF ;-)

I just live here now, didn't go to school here .
    This wouldn't work out too well. You wouldn't be able to press the Q for example because it would be up against the little "wall" that the keyboard has around it.
    Actually, there is a lot of room beneath the keys, so it you moved all of the rows down a bit you could get a reasonable about of horizontal space between rows without compromising the structural integrity of the phone.
    I have no problems with the way it is now.. I have big fingers and I love the pre's keyboard
    Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Commando View Post
    Actually, there is a lot of room beneath the keys, so it you moved all of the rows down a bit you could get a reasonable about of horizontal space between rows without compromising the structural integrity of the phone.
    Try pressing in the empty space below the space bar, where the space bar would theoretically be shifted down to. It's uncomfortable that way, because your finger starts running into the bottom lip.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast