1.    #1  
    Hello all!

I had a Pre on launch day with Sprint, but unfortunately had to get rid of it due to it being too slow for me personally.

I really need my devices to be fast, and it wasn't. At least not enough for me.

However, someone has offered to trade me a Pre Plus for my current Droid, and I've heard the overclocking to 800 mhz does wonders for the device?

Any tips? Is it a lot faster than stock?
    800mhz plus all the new updates that you've missed since the droid make the pre really fast. It has really brought new life into my pre
    ya the pre kicks serious *** with speed now with the overclocking no slug no lag just fast wow and it an amazing phone with the multitasking.
    I have the 720mhz patch and my pals nexus blows it away speed wise. I just prefer webOS..
    well the nexus has a snapdragon chip in it that runs by 1gigaherz i think and the pres top is 800mhz so its a difference.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Love my pre+ w/the 800 overclock...
    the droid is a terrible phone imo. but there are 1.2ghz kernals for the droid so i'd just stick with your droid if you want fast.
    I can't imagine going back to stock from 800
    This signature for rent
    try it and if you dont like it remove it...but i can tell ya its night and day difference..it does nothing to your phone (at least it hasn't mine so far) in a negative way. no overheating, no more battery drain, just lightning-fast(er) speed. they say it can shorten the life of the processor, but that hasn't been proven since the phone is only 3 months old anyway.
    Where and how do I overclock my pre?
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    i have had significant battery drain, but like every one else, i can't go back to stock, and it also helps A LOT if you had the faster cards patch, the only prob i had was that google maps, and latitude app were not getting data connections.
    Wiped it clean re installed the 800 and the fast card patch and it works fine now. and with those two it is faster than andriod, BUT i must say that i do not know which andriod software that was.
    oh , and it was not the hyper fast animation patch either, ( i think that will put you at light speed.)
    So I love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
    Where and how do I overclock my pre?
    There are two methods. Search for Uber-Kernel and Govnah, or search for Super Pre Kernel. Both methods give identical performance results for the same governor and CPU scaling parameter settings.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by lvav06 View Post
    i have had significant battery drain, but like every one else, i can't go back to stock, and it also helps A LOT if you had the faster cards patch, the only prob i had was that google maps, and latitude app were not getting data connections.
    Wiped it clean re installed the 800 and the fast card patch and it works fine now. and with those two it is faster than andriod, BUT i must say that i do not know which andriod software that was.
    oh , and it was not the hyper fast animation patch either, ( i think that will put you at light speed.)
    So I love it.

I may be wrong but the fast cards patch really doesn't affect speed, it just cut's out or speeds up the animations that take time. The app itself and it's stuff will all still load at the same speed as it would otherwise.

When you tap an icon and the card appears, you can tap it again to make it go full screen instantly, if the program is still loading you will still have to wait.

But I do think the 800 MHz kernel's make a big difference.
    I overclocked my friend's Droid to 1ghz and it still felt slower than my Sprint Pre at 800mhz. I'm not sure if it was his widgets, number of apps, etc., but my Pre was definitely smoother.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lvav06 View Post
    So I love it.
    Check out the CPU Scaling App.
    It'll help with battery drain.

Also, the Pre is really fast with 800mhz.
    Apps open within a second or two. That, with WebOS multitasking, gives it the edge over the droid.
    The droid has 1.2ghz kernels, but without the lovely multitasking webOs offers, I feel like there's no point.
    I dont know what your using but I have a sprint pre with the 800mhz patch and the battery life is better then stock, no heating issues and we did bench test and it is faster then the nexus one on opening programs, and the browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I may be wrong but the fast cards patch really doesn't affect speed, it just cut's out or speeds up the animations that take time. The app itself and it's stuff will all still load at the same speed as it would otherwise.

When you tap an icon and the card appears, you can tap it again to make it go full screen instantly, if the program is still loading you will still have to wait.

But I do think the 800 MHz kernel's make a big difference.
    Hmm...I use a variety of small patches (i.e. battery icon rotated/colored) and use only one 'speed up patch' - the hyper animation card. I'm not sure what it does, but holy cow, everything just feels faster. Still not as fast as my friends Nexus though but at least my Pre is mostly usable now. His Nexus brings up things like google maps in 2-3 seconds vs my Pre which is about 20 seconds (with the hyper aninmation). Without the Hyper patch...its closer to 30 seconds (All times confirmed by manually timing it).

Personally, I'm hoping for an ultra speedup and a few remaining features to be implemented before we hit WebOS v2.0.
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianPre View Post
    His Nexus brings up things like google maps in 2-3 seconds vs my Pre which is about 20 seconds (with the hyper aninmation). Without the Hyper patch...its closer to 30 seconds (All times confirmed by manually timing it).
    20 seconds seems extremely slow!

Just tried it out.. even with it prompting me to allow auto location, as I keep this turned off, google maps (with my location) was up and running in 7 seconds. Tried it with auto locate already enabled and it was up in 5.

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianPre View Post
    Hmm...I use a variety of small patches (i.e. battery icon rotated/colored) and use only one 'speed up patch' - the hyper animation card. I'm not sure what it does, but holy cow, everything just feels faster. Still not as fast as my friends Nexus though but at least my Pre is mostly usable now. His Nexus brings up things like google maps in 2-3 seconds vs my Pre which is about 20 seconds (with the hyper aninmation). Without the Hyper patch...its closer to 30 seconds (All times confirmed by manually timing it).

Personally, I'm hoping for an ultra speedup and a few remaining features to be implemented before we hit WebOS v2.0.
    everyone knows google maps on the pre is the most horrible app we have. Yeah that takes 20 seconds to load but every other app is like 1 second or two.
    usually it takes 20 seconds on the first time you start it... and if your doing 500mhz... closing and restarting it usually takes less then 1/2 the time.

I haven't turned it on in days... and it Just took me 9 seconds with gps turned OFF and 800 Mhz... i'm on wifi

i closed it and reopened it and it took 5 seconds.