1.    #1  
    My Pre gets delivered tomorrow so I am wondering what the first things I should do to get it working as efficiently as possible and get some hints on the best/most useful apps.

What are Kernals? (sp?) Are the like the cooked roms I used to install on my HTC Touch Diamond?

Also, having heard of battery problems, how long should the first charge be?

Thanks in advance for any advice, I can't wait to get started with it!
    get preware installed(there is a guide but I'm using my pre to write this so finding it and posting for you is difficult)

the patches are fairly straight forward and the community here is one of the best I've encountered anywhere.

my battery lasts a day if I'm lucky. I have a first run pre though and probably need a new battery. I can **** data and gps off and turn brightness down to 5 and get much better battery (as the bus drive from Tn to Ct showed me)

have fun with your pre. I honestly can not see any other phone or OS I would ever want.
    good luck!
  3.    #3  
    thanks,

Regarding the version, would I be better off downloading the latest update straight away if it comes with an out of date one?
    yes. first thing you should do is update webos.
    Yes update your pre, just knock it on, open the keyboard and start typing updates and a little gift box will come up, tap that and update as need be.

After you have got used to the phone and found yourself some apps from the app catologue, you should prob try out some homebrew.

Read the webOS quick instal thread and get it downloaded onto your computer. Get used to it and download preware like mentioned above. If you have any problems in set up, these forums will have the answer.
    once you have preware it is easy, get some cool patches and some useful homebrew apps.

You should probably hold out on kernels until you get used to the phone and wosqi. But once you feel your ready SuperPreKernel is a great unique app for installing the overclocking kernels.

Remember to read everything on the specific threads before installing and also find out to safely uninstall, you don't want to have to doctor your pre.
    I'd personally like to say that I've achieved the 'fastest OS I've ever used' trophy with my Pre.

I've been a power user since it was released and wanting my Pre to compete with the newer and faster-processor smartphones/tablets that were coming out nowadays. I just installed the 800MHz kernel, Mobile Hotspot (for Sprint, with all necessary services) and the Faster Animations Hyper mode patch.

Since most of my work is done through the cloud, I need the fastest Web connection available, and my Pre now outdoes my netbook, Macbook, and even my waaay-more-powerful home desktop. I've opened over 15 apps at once, all data-crunching and load-heavy, and noticed no battery or heat issue differences than when I first unboxed my Pre.

webOS is truly the most efficient way to control a mobile device, especially with the patches and apps I've installed (easily, using the PreCentral Forums and dev community links).

Thank you to Palm, PreCentral, and every developer, coder, beta lover, and power user to support this OS! I'm very excited to see what's to come from Palm's recent deal with HP! (:
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. Short View Post
    I'd personally like to say that I've achieved the 'fastest OS I've ever used' trophy with my Pre.

I've been a power user since it was released and wanting my Pre to compete with the newer and faster-processor smartphones/tablets that were coming out nowadays. I just installed the 800MHz kernel, Mobile Hotspot (for Sprint, with all necessary services) and the Faster Animations Hyper mode patch.

Since most of my work is done through the cloud, I need the fastest Web connection available, and my Pre now outdoes my netbook, Macbook, and even my waaay-more-powerful home desktop. I've opened over 15 apps at once, all data-crunching and load-heavy, and noticed no battery or heat issue differences than when I first unboxed my Pre.

webOS is truly the most efficient way to control a mobile device, especially with the patches and apps I've installed (easily, using the PreCentral Forums and dev community links).

Thank you to Palm, PreCentral, and every developer, coder, beta lover, and power user to support this OS! I'm very excited to see what's to come from Palm's recent deal with HP! (:
    Wow, sounds great. Are the above mentioned all pretty easy for a newbie to do??

GOT to proove all my iphone mates wrong at work! lol
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Battery life is a big problem with the pre. I have and would highly highly recommend the seidio 2600 battery. It adds bulk to the pre but is vital if you really want the most out of pre. I also got a motorola bluetooth stereo headset so i can listen to my music and take calls all on wireless headphones and it looks cool to not have wires. Homebrew apps, patches, themes, overclocking and 3d games. make sure to read carefully all the instructions for using wosqi and preware. don't overlap patches that do the same thing and be sure to install the temperature monitor patch because the pre gets hot and should be left alone to cool off or you may burn it. Have fun with the most useful os out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt44 View Post

Also, having heard of battery problems, how long should the first charge be?
    The common experience seems to be that the battery life improves after a few charge cycles (probably more of acalibration thing). However, a touchstone charger and a car charger capable of supplying 1 Amp should solve most problems in that area.
    Check the Help in the Launcher. It has video clips and tips to help you get used to controls and capabilities of your Pre and WebOS that are very different from your Diamond and Windows Mobile. Also check the last 2 stickies in the Palm Pre forum for many more help items and how to's. Good luck with Pre
  11.    #11  
    Just opened it up and it took me a while to figure out where to put the charger! lol

Looks a really nice phone and seems pretty sturdy..........

Fingers crossed it works ok.
    Just some recommendations if battery life is an issue: I personally like the 1400mha battery.

Buy Mugen Power 1400mAh Extended Battery For Palm Pre and Palm Pixi [HLI-PRESL]

Adds some extra life without requiring your phone to be any bulkier.

Second, install this app with WebOS Quick Install

Webos CPUScaler Application for Palm PRE - Toggles CPU Scaling with a button - Palm Pre Hack Extend Battery Life | L337Tech

and set the scaling to 125mhz-600mhz. This will get you a mix between the best performance and battery life (800mhz is better performance but it WILL eat away at your battery a bit faster)

Second, any notifications like facebook notifications will eat away at your battery as they run as background services.

Thirdly, turn the screen brightness down all the way.

Finally, there is an app in Preware that sits in the notifications at the bottom and easily lets you turn on and off things like GPS, Data, Wifi... I completely forget what it is called.

My 1400mha battery lasts almost 2 days with regular use if i follow these guidelines.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Just some recommendations if battery life is an issue: I personally like the 1400mha battery.

Buy Mugen Power 1400mAh Extended Battery For Palm Pre and Palm Pixi [HLI-PRESL]

Adds some extra life without requiring your phone to be any bulkier.

Second, install this app with WebOS Quick Install

Webos CPUScaler Application for Palm PRE - Toggles CPU Scaling with a button - Palm Pre Hack Extend Battery Life | L337Tech

and set the scaling to 125mhz-600mhz. This will get you a mix between the best performance and battery life (800mhz is better performance but it WILL eat away at your battery a bit faster)

Second, any notifications like facebook notifications will eat away at your battery as they run as background services.

Thirdly, turn the screen brightness down all the way.

Finally, there is an app in Preware that sits in the notifications at the bottom and easily lets you turn on and off things like GPS, Data, Wifi... I completely forget what it is called.

My 1400mha battery lasts almost 2 days with regular use if i follow these guidelines.
    Great info - thanks alot!

Which CPUScaler should I choose? There seems to be a few different ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post

What do you mean by data?
  15.    #15  
    Ok, downloading 1.4.1, then will get preware installed.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    1. Update webos
    2. Install preware
    3. Install virtual keyboard
    4. Dare: Dont mess with it
    I wanna say "WELCOME" to the palm pre/plus family. You made the a good choice in choosing palm.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    I wanna say "WELCOME" to the palm pre/plus family. You made the a good choice in choosing palm.
    Thanks

I am loving it so far.

Downloaded the Preware and made a few tweaks here and there. Now am just looking forward to getting to know the beast! lol

Need to figure out how to merge contacts............
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Need to figure out how to merge contacts............[/QUOTE]

When you go into contacts, click on the name to show which one you want to start with. Then click on the name again (not edit). Then click Link more profiles. Once you get it all merged, click on the one you want to be the primary profile and tell it to set as primary profile. Hope this helps
    Quote Originally Posted by dstachnik View Post
    What do you mean by data?
    Sorry, in Canada we call "3G" or "EVDO" Data service.... like

Doug: "What Data plan did you get with your phone, eh?"

Bob: "I got the unlimited 5Gig Data Plan"

I think in the USA you call it a Data Plan too, but we call the actually act of using the Internet from the Cell Phone towers "Data".

Like, "Hey I got a pretty good Data connection! And im in Churchill!"

Or, "Hey nice Palm Pre, you got Data on that thing?"