Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920 LastLast
Results 361 to 380 of 388
  1. #361  
    better yet, when did HP make a statement about Palm Hardware?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  2. #362  
    In a period of uncertainty, some see an opportunity to get attention.
    Generally, the requirement is to provide a legitimate source for the information. An example of a non legitimate site is www dot thespoof dot com. sometimes a person will establish their credentials with the members and be considered a good source. Members without professional credentials or with less than thousands of posts are not usually considered a creditable source.

    Linkee pleasee
  3. #363  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmhanson View Post
    My question is if they are not manufacturing more then who will be producing the phones for AT&T.

    Palm webOS™ - Palm® Pre™ Plus & Palm® Pixi™ Plus - Wireless from AT&T

    Like others, I would like a source before believing it.
    Yes, I'm sure all those carriers introducing devices right now would be pretty upset if there's no product to actually, you know, sell and stuff.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  4. #364  
    So, no source and no replies from the OP. I guess we can officially say that he made this up?
  5. #365  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    So, no source and no replies from the OP. I guess we can officially say that he made this up?
    It's not official until pqp... dbd visits a thread.
  6. #366  
    Ok.
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    It's official now.
  7. #367  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    It's not official until pqp... dbd visits a thread.


    I think pqp feels the same way about OP's claims.
  8. #368  
    I don't see this as all that unbelievable or even necessarily a bad thing.

    The deal won't even be finalized until later in the summer. No "future devices" had yet been built given Palm's lack of money and somewhat cold shoulder with carriers trying to blowout their existing inventory.

    So assuming that Palm/HP starts fresh around July, they have to get prototypes, internal tests, and some other groundwork done before mass production. Then, they have to get carrier agreements in place. Keep in mind that Sprint, Verizon, AT&T will have a lot of their holiday lineup in place by then, WP7 will be launching and it won't be the best environment for someone new to pop up. It's not like Palm/HP has to get a handset to market at the first possible opp.

    They need to take their time to pick a proper window with the right carriers, and then push like there is no tomorrow. And despite me wanting a new WebOS handset ASAP, I think a little distance between the Pre and whatever comes next is good.

    Personally, I'll probably jump ship to either the Evo or whatever WP7 device hits, then be ready for the introductory slice of HP/Palm goodness some time in 2011. That's the beauty of being a Premier customer with four lines: An upgrade is always around the corner.
  9. #369  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post


    I think pqp feels the same way about OP's claims.
  10. #370  
    Glad DBD chimed in. Now that it's official I am calling "Hogwash" to this story.
  11. #371  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I don't see this as all that unbelievable or even necessarily a bad thing.

    The deal won't even be finalized until later in the summer. No "future devices" had yet been built given Palm's lack of money and somewhat cold shoulder with carriers trying to blowout their existing inventory.

    So assuming that Palm/HP starts fresh around July, they have to get prototypes, internal tests, and some other groundwork done before mass production. Then, they have to get carrier agreements in place. Keep in mind that Sprint, Verizon, AT&T will have a lot of their holiday lineup in place by then, WP7 will be launching and it won't be the best environment for someone new to pop up. It's not like Palm/HP has to get a handset to market at the first possible opp.

    They need to take their time to pick a proper window with the right carriers, and then push like there is no tomorrow. And I despite me wanting a new WebOS handset, I think a little distance between the Pre and whatever comes next is good.
    Yep, this could be a good thing because the stigma that the Pre had for it's lack of quality would be in the rear-view mirror.
  12. #372  
    Quote Originally Posted by swissarmy View Post
    Glad DBD chimed in. Now that it's official I am calling "Hogwash" to this story.
  13. #373  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    What is this, the the smartphone market will just have to wait until we get our sh!t together strategy? Life moves fast, don't miss a thing. Didn't we just figure out that Palm would probably have made it if only the phone had come out 3-6 months earlier and Sprint's exclusivity was three months shorter? The smartphone market didn't wait for Palm to do its first restart. I don't think another restart is warranted.
    I agree that a holiday show case would be death. However, I think they would have to wait minimum of 8 weeks until they have released the Pre on AT&T to release a mythical "C40". I think the timing is becoming increasingly difficult for a new Palm device. On one hand you have the EVO to be released this summer and again they will not release before the AT&T launch of the Pre. So, the big question is when would be most effective? One thing is for sure and that is smart phones are really taking off! Which is a good thing for "we" the consumer.
  14. #374  
    Guys, this (not even a proper) rumor said that all Pre+/Pixi+ production is being halted as of 5/1 (which according to my calendar was three days ago). This is ridiculous, with AT&T, SFR, Vodaphone, O2, etc., etc. all already releasing them or scheduled to release them. While it's certainly theoretically possible that Palm has so much inventory backed up that they could supply any kind of demand on these carriers, that does seem... how shall I put this?...ahem... far fetched.

    And, yes, HP and Palm both have stated that Palm's original pipeline remains as-is, and that HP won't be getting involved in manufacturing devices until some time in the future. Heck, the HP Palm deal isn't even official yet, and won't be until the end of July. And so, the idea that Palm has simply halted all further production plans with any eye to their future with HP--that isn't even cemented yet--is... how shall I put this?... ahem... stupid.

    If I'm wrong, I'll come back and eat a nice hearty meal of crow. But, I just don't think I am.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  15. #375  
    I don't know...

    I guess it's fine to throw out different scenarios.

    But to say; 'here's what's going to happen' and give no source, doesn't give much credence - if any.

    I did a google, and all I found was this:
    Palm acquisition benefits and HP€™s EMS universe | VentureOutsource.com
    Just call me Berd.
  16. #376  
    could be that Palm is striking new and more cost effective manufacturing deals, based on HP ties.

    Palm would not halt production of new devices as HP said the deal would only be "mildly dilutive", meaning that Palm will continue to be bringing some revenue to the bottom line.
  17. #377  
    Here's another "speculative" idea. I wonder if Palm/ATT are delaying launch while they negotiate launch for next product. Verizon salespeople did such a poor job that they may not be a credible launch partner right now; Sprint would be business as usual; but an ATT deal would signal that times they are a'changing even despite the iphone dominance...
    just wondering...
  18. #378  
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign25 View Post
    Considering Rubenstein himself said that they were coming along well with new devices, I call bull.
    And the fact that they are adding new carriers regularly.
  19. #379  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Guys, this (not even a proper) rumor said that all Pre+/Pixi+ production is being halted as of 5/1 (which according to my calendar was three days ago). This is ridiculous, with AT&T, SFR, Vodaphone, O2, etc., etc. all already releasing them or scheduled to release them. While it's certainly theoretically possible that Palm has so much inventory backed up that they could supply any kind of demand on these carriers, that does seem... how shall I put this?...ahem... far fetched.

    And, yes, HP and Palm both have stated that Palm's original pipeline remains as-is, and that HP won't be getting involved in manufacturing devices until some time in the future. Heck, the HP Palm deal isn't even official yet, and won't be until the end of July. And so, the idea that Palm has simply halted all further production plans with any eye to their future with HP--that isn't even cemented yet--is... how shall I put this?... ahem... stupid.

    If I'm wrong, I'll come back and eat a nice hearty meal of crow. But, I just don't think I am.
    I've worked for big companies that have been bought out by bigger companies. Trust me, long before the ink is put to paper, change begins. If anyone thinks the developers at Palm (who, I am sure, love what they do) are sitting around saying "Guys, we all know big bucks are coming, but let's just cool our heels for a few weeks until the deal is done and see how things shake out", then I've got some land to sell in Florida, on the west coast!

    I'd almost bet that they are still geared up to make new Pixi's and Pre's (probably Plus devices both), but I'd be even more willing to bet that when HP decides to get things going with a new device, it will happen fast, and they are designing some of the devices as I type this.
  20. #380  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I've worked for big companies that have been bought out by bigger companies. Trust me, long before the ink is put to paper, change begins. If anyone thinks the developers at Palm (who, I am sure, love what they do) are sitting around saying "Guys, we all know big bucks are coming, but let's just cool our heels for a few weeks until the deal is done and see how things shake out", then I've got some land to sell in Florida, on the west coast!

    I'd almost bet that they are still geared up to make new Pixi's and Pre's (probably Plus devices both), but I'd be even more willing to bet that when HP decides to get things going with a new device, it will happen fast, and they are designing some of the devices as I type this.
    Here's what I think: the Palm folks are not only not cooling their jets, but they're working even more feverishly--only now, it's with pure excitement over what's possible, not with the hounds of Hell nipping at their heels. We've seen what they plan for webOS, and we have reason to believe that a next-gen device is coming at some point in the near future--the only thing that's changed about those plans is that now Palm doesn't have to worry about the money needed to accomplish them.

    And, here's another thought: I'll bet that Palm has been working on a tablet device (and no, not to the exclusion of the next smartphone), and might even have a prototype or two on hand. I think HP saw this, and it's what sold them on the platform. Furthermore, I'll bet that HP has been hitting up their engineering and manufacturing resources and started them working on getting this thing to market, sooner rather than later.

    Palm's not halting anything at this point. If they're making any changes at all, it's to push the throttle all the way forward. (And I think that's enough mixed metaphors for one post.)
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic

Posting Permissions