Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920 LastLast
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Yeah, HP is getting the Palm IP. But basically they're paying $1.2B for webOS. Yikes. Says a lot about our favorite mobile OS, eh?!
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    Yeah, HP is getting the Palm IP. But basically they're paying $1.2B for webOS. Yikes. Says a lot about our favorite mobile OS, eh?!
    Well, first of all, they're paying $1.4 billion (the $1.2 billion includes the balance of Palm's cash - debt, which is about $200 million) because that's the current stock price plus premium. There's not been any direct valuation of webOS or Palm's IP portfolio, although the latter has been valued at upwards of $8/share (which would put a purchase price at north of $2 billion).

I think HP is very, very smart, and they likely know that they got an incredible bargain. They now have a mostly ready-to-go, unique, innovative and industry-leading mobile OS where they had nothing before. They now have a lot of really good talent in mobile hardware and software design and engineering. They now have a solid group of loyal customers and a growing, vibrant developer community. And they now have more patents in the mobile space than anyone else, including their arch-rivals, Apple, which should basically allow them to maneuver against their competition without fear of litigation.

All that for $1.2 billion net? webOS is the cornerstone of the investment, but it's definitely not the only thing that HP bought. Anyone who thinks this wasn't a helluva deal is insane. A year from now, I guarantee the naysayers will be singing a different tune about this acquisition.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    The problem is that alot of the naysayer can't and don't want to see the forest from the trees. Most of them are either talking heads or analysts that don't do research. They can't see what having a very much lauded intuitive operating system that spans and connects multiple mobile devices (phones, slates, netbooks, portable handhelds for businesses) and connects into HP's already established enterprise systems, printers, servers for the cloud and is bolstered by the financial scale, production scale, global presence and marketing clout of HP really means. And if you can't understand what that means and just how powerful of a statement that makes, you really are either clueless or just need to be educated.

On Wednesday and Thursday a number of financial analysts and financial writers were too busy saying really dumb things like: "Palm has no carriers", "Palm hasn't sold any devices", "Have you seen BB6 from RIM? It is awesome" even though RIM showed a video and not the actual system, "No one wanted to use webOS".

Alot of the analysts played the Palm situation the wrong way and now they're lashing out b/c they're upset that Palm didn't go to zero and that their bet that Apple and Google will be the main players in the mobile space has just taken a big hit. Now you have to talk about HP-Palm. Now developers have to stop downplaying Palm and actually focus on development for webOS. Developers loyal to Apple will continue to downplay any mobile operating system that isn't Apple.

And the financial writers just don't really understand what happened with Palm before HP and what the acquisition by HP means. They're too busy trying to pen the next Apple vs Google story.

Palm was and is a bullet. However, they didn't have a gun. HP is the gun. The gun has been loaded and cocked and its aimed at everyone who is standing in the way of "HP intends to win in the mobile space" (the quote in bold is directly from the conference call). HP doubled downed on webOS, Palm's talent and know how and now alot of people have to back track and begin to discuss other players besides they typical two in the smartphone game. The game has changed and it has gotten a whole lot more interesting.
    Last edited by playboy; 04/30/2010 at 06:37 AM.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    Maybe HP will do my webos netbook or low end laptop that I want.
    Just now catching up on this exciting news..

Did you see this:

But this acquisition isn't strictly about phones. This is about HP's future mobile OS. Bradley said several times HP will "invest heavily" in WebOS, and use it on slate PCs, Netbooks, and phones. HP was not ready to talk about possible time lines as to when a WebOS slate or WebOS Netbook would be available, but said it planned to increase the $190 million Palm was spending annually on research and development

That was from this report:

With Palm, HP reboots mobile strategy | Circuit Breaker - CNET News

I would LOVE a WebOS tablet
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Ugh, I guess it doesn't matter because I'll be getting another phone when my contract ends.

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    that was my idea.
    :facepalm: I ****ing hate those commercials.
    HP's Palm Plans May Leave Microsoft Out in the Cold - BusinessWeek

"Morgan Stanley (MS) analyst Adam Holt, who has an overweight rating on Microsoft shares, said in an Apr. 29 report that HP could sell 3.5 million tablet computers running WebOS this year, about half of its total tablet sales."
    So they are admitting how ****ty their hardware is. Nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever92 View Post
    Ugh, I guess it doesn't matter because I'll be getting another phone when my contract ends.

:facepalm: I ****ing hate those commercials.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever92 View Post
    So they are admitting how ****ty their hardware is. Nice.
    You have some odd ways of interpreting things. The "my idea" was making fun of the commercial. Think of the initials for my name, then read the post again in that context.... Yeah :facepalm: is right.

I think you're going to see WebOS on more than phones in the future, but to each their own.

Not sure where the "hardware" comment's coming from, who is "they", HP or Palm? Even in that context, it doesn't make much sense - WebOS was never on a tablet before, and Palm has never made a tablet (that they sold to consumers).

Finally, why the consistent use of banned words?
    I'm just thinking of WebOS on our office photocopier (photocopies/Scans to email as well/faxes/prints).

Currently the interface is soo clumsy but I can imagine using WebOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Berath View Post
    I'm just thinking of WebOS on our office photocopier (photocopies/Scans to email as well/faxes/prints).

Currently the interface is soo clumsy but I can imagine using WebOS
    Hey, I'll take webOS on anything we can get. Developers don't care if an OS is running on a smartphone, a computer, a tablet, a printer, a copier, or a refrigerator, as long as there's someone to purchase, download, and run their app.

And in all seriousness, one of the great things about HP buying Palm is that their tablet is bound to be a real productivity tool. HP, I'm sure, would like nothing more than millions of smartphones and tablets running around printing to HP printers, multifunction devices, and copiers, not to mention receiving scans from them. I used to work for Ricoh, and this is how they thought--I'm sure HP has some of the same kind of DNA.

New ideas pop up everyday about this acquisition. No wonder HP is so serious about this thing...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    It looks like Palm may have just released all of their contract manf. capacity as of 5/1. That would mean that there would be no new Pre/Pixi units built and no plans to build another device in the ~~6 month time frame.

Yes, HP has their own contract manf. firms but tooling up and setting up for a new HW line would take 6-9 months at best.

This would be consistent /w HPs statement that they have no short term plans for any new Palm hardware.

I'm calling bs to the fullest, even if you did provide a link it would probably be from a bs source anyway.

The c40 lives!
    Considering Rubenstein himself said that they were coming along well with new devices, I call bull.
    This guy just likes giving bad news even if its completely false... its obvious by his posts here on PreCentral. I'd like a source please.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Great Article on ZDNet "How HP's Palm Buy could Crush Apple"
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    maybe he was in the room when the call came in? IDK, but its shady without a source....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    maybe he was in the room when the call came in? IDK, but its shady without a source....
    Who needs sources? Can't we just take OP for his word? lol
    My question is if they are not manufacturing more then who will be producing the phones for AT&T.

Palm webOS™ - Palm® Pre™ Plus & Palm® Pixi™ Plus - Wireless from AT&T

Like others, I would like a source before believing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by billybennett View Post
    This guy just likes giving bad news even if its completely false... its obvious by his posts here on PreCentral. I'd like a source please.
    and notice the OP has never said "thanks" even once...
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/04/2010 at 12:03 PM.