Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920 LastLast
    People keep comparing HP to Apple? You do realize HP makes Apple look like a minor league company. HP brings in ten times + the money as Apple. HP started off with one of the best platforms for a phone. Pocket PC, but they turned there back on it and focused on Computers. They now sell more PC's than anyone. Hopefully they will let Palm continue to develop and grow. Their money could push Web OS into the mainstream. My only complaint is I hate HP computers. I have owned three of them and their customer service is terrible. I had to file with the BBB several times to get any action. Hopefully they have improved.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    As for the recent announcement of the Courier being canceled by MS & the pretty universal sadness it has brought about (including me), I see this as being a product that HP/Palm could develop together with a hybrid Pen/Touch webOS Tablet....

The possibilities of products that this collaboration can bring about is just crazy....
    The problem is, most of the pen technology is Microsoft's, not HP's. All of the handwriting recognition features, for example, come directly from MS.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The problem is, most of the pen technology is Microsoft's, not HP's. All of the handwriting recognition features, for example, come directly from MS.
    Microsoft can license that out if they wish.

(figured I might as well copy my thought from the other thread)
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Dual-boot, man. Dual-boot. Either stick an ARM processor in a slate, or port webOS to Atom. Doesn't matter to me. But, the ability to boot into Win 7 for taking notes with OneNote and working with Office apps, or boot into webOS for lightweight stuff, is damn compelling. No reason whatsoever to build handwriting recognition or even pen support into webOS if they go this route.

All they have to do to make this work is make webOS boot a little (okay, much, much) faster and it would be a real iPad-destroyer.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Dual-boot, man. Dual-boot. Either stick an ARM processor in a slate, or port webOS to Atom. Doesn't matter to me. But, the ability to boot into Win 7 for taking notes with OneNote and working with Office apps, or boot into webOS for lightweight stuff, is damn compelling. No reason whatsoever to build handwriting recognition or even pen support into webOS if they go this route.

All they have to do to make this work is make webOS boot a little (okay, much, much) faster and it would be a real iPad-destroyer.
    I don't know that most people want a dual-boot solution.

And yet I agree that any slate I ever use needs to have OneNote and a pen.
    I don't know that most people want a dual-boot solution.

And yet I agree that any slate I ever use needs to have OneNote and a pen.
    See, i'm on the other end of the spectrum. I type a LOT faster than I write, and also...my handwriting is complete and utter sh!!t. While I can still see where a pen would be handy, I'm not one to say 'ZOMG IT HAS TO HAVE IT'.
    Quote Originally Posted by callmechewy View Post
    See, i'm on the other end of the spectrum. I type a LOT faster than I write, and also...my handwriting is complete and utter sh!!t. While I can still see where a pen would be handy, I'm not one to say 'ZOMG IT HAS TO HAVE IT'.
    This might be better served in this thread, but as I just explained there, it's not the handwriting recognition in itself that's the key feature, but the ways that it can be used... for example to search handwritten notes instantly. And as for your handwriting being horrible, so's mine, and when I first used it, I was shocked at how well Windows recognized my writing. Since then, it's only gotten better as it's learned my style (through actual use, not training).
    Quote Originally Posted by callmechewy View Post
    Well, I've been using a convertible Tablet PC for almost a decade now, and my current one provides the best of both worlds: a keyboard and a touch/pen-enabled screen. But, you might be surprised at the times when it makes sense to handwrite vs. type, such as in meetings where you don't want a screen in between you and who you're meeting with, where the clacking of keys is distracting, and where you need to draw diagrams, connect notes, higlight, etc. on-the-fly. I simply cannot take notes as effectively by typing as I can by handwriting, because it's not all about the speed.

Really, the most natural input mechanism for a slate-type device is a pen. Jobs is either an ***** for not realizing this, or entirely disingenuous (i.e., he's trying to make people think a pen/stylus is for the UI, when it's really not), and that makes the iPad far less useful than it could otherwise be. And I want my future slate to be about producing content, not just consuming it.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddct View Post
    people keep comparing hp to apple? You do realize hp makes apple look like a minor league company. Hp brings in ten times + the money as apple. Hp started off with one of the best platforms for a phone. Pocket pc, but they turned there back on it and focused on computers. They now sell more pc's than anyone. Hopefully they will let palm continue to develop and grow. Their money could push web os into the mainstream. My only complaint is i hate hp computers. I have owned three of them and their customer service is terrible. I had to file with the bbb several times to get any action. Hopefully they have improved.
    well said!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    i have never had any trouble with HP.... we've always have bought hp desktops and laptops.... of course desktops tend to change very rapidly it terms of hardware and my laptop... ive had it for 5 years and its been perfect hardware wise.... on the other hand my gf had the same laptop as me 5 yrs ago and it lasted her like a yr and then got another hp laptop and it messed up on her the same yr...so in reality i wouldnt know, i love the HP brand and love that they bought Palm... so we'll c how it goes
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by grandebob View Post
    They paid less for palm then they made selling toner for the 9000 series last year. Perspective.
    I don't think I understand the point of this ??
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Imagine some crazy Voodoo/Palm webOS device?... Mmmm....A super highend device "salivate"
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I don't think I understand the point of this ??
    Maybe it was to point out how much freaking money HP has to throw at webOS to make it the most successful mobile OS on the market. Maybe, but somehow I doubt it.
    I don't believe that the Palm branding will go anywhere. I think that now it will be the HP Palm Pre, HP Palm Pixi, etc.
    I'm thinking "PalmPac" is a kinda catchy...
    Quote Originally Posted by ChilinMichael View Post
    I knew of someone that went on and on about how Palm is gonna die, blah blah blah while I said not true they were the leader with their OS...guess he's eating his words now. Now they are backed by the strongest technology company ever, and slated (pun intended) to destroy all others.

Take your Android/Apple...and shove it! I can Multi-task correctly!

Not like these other phones "Did that task really end? Let me go check my task manager..oh wait no it didn't" 50 clicks and countless minutes spent later...yeah...no thanks.
    Nope, the haters will have their spin on it, you can bet on that. I just got back from a conference with my counterparts across the country (we do IT support for a government agency). One of them saw my Pre, and said "Palm is going away". I offered a "more than friendly" wager - that at the conference next year, if Palm was still around, he buy the Palm mobile device of my choice for me. If not, I'd buy the mobile device of his choosing for him. He declined (it's funny how quickly the "experts" shut up when you offer to put up).

The next day, this announcement came out. I heard inklings of the merger/buyout, and mentioned it. He said "see, I told you they'd go away". When I pointed out that the name brand will probably stay, he said it didn't matter, that they were through. Of course, he completely forgot about the "they'll sell off the assets and stop production" nonsense. He also (before I heard details) insisted that I was wrong by double when I said my guess was about $1 billion. When I said $1.2 billion, he said HP was crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    ... if the phone was really great, palm wouldnt be in the position they are in... bought out.
    ???? Huh. That makes no sense. If there wasn't something worth buying, why would they be bought out? Especially, why would they be bought out buy a company that has already announced they plan on continuing with the line?

I suspect that there are going to be those that no matter what came of the situation, they would have looked for a reason to say "see, that's how bad it is for Palm". If they hadn't been bought, they would have said "see, no one wanted them".
    Uh oh, I can see the new insults against you already, HParsons.
    I'd guess that by the end of 2011 there will be four dominant smartphone platforms (in this order): iPhone, Android, Win Phone 7, and webOS. RIM is really the biggest loser here; I see them remaining strong internationally but losing a good deal of market share domestically.
    RIM's strong point is Blackberry Enterprise Server. I suspect you're close to right, but I think the big "modifier" is going to RIM offering BES clients for other OS's.
    Uh oh, I can see the new insults against you already, HParsons.
    Seriously, I've been in this business since before HP was known for printers. A lot of folks have made the connection in the past. Sort of ironic now...

However, If they do an HP Palm or Palm HP branding, I'm going to tell folks they just put my initials on it.

Palm HP - that was my idea.
    If RIM was smart, they'd already be doing that. It's been talked about for quite awhile. Will be interesting to see if they bring anything to the table with BB6.