Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617181920 LastLast
Results 301 to 320 of 388
  1. #301  
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    As a mod elsewhere, I know it is largely a thankless job. You will always have people who don't like your decisions.

    They probably didn't want multiple breaking news threads posted all over the place. I'd be willing to bet legitimate discussions about what it means as far as handsets, webOS, support, etc., will not be merged wholesale.
    Full disclosure: I was also a mod elsewhere and I can fully appreciate his responsibilities.
  2. #302  
    will this mean an all-out "hot war" between HP and Apple?

    my impression of HP was that they were trying to be the de facto face of windows stemming from their jordana PDA's, to their acquisition of compaq. now that HP has a winner in webOS will there be an escalation of innovation between the two companies and the industry in general?

    oooo! i can't wait!
  3. #303  
    This was great news for me to get last night...really solidified my decision to go with the Pre when it hits AT&T. (Although I probably would have anyway). I like HP, and I've always liked Palm, so this is a great match up IMO.

    Looking forward to a great webOS future! Now it can be the powerhouse!
  4. #304  
    I think this is MOST EXCELLENT news and HP's statement that they fully intend to not only support WebOs but improve upon it is even better news!
  5. mrkalel's Avatar
    Posts
    739 Posts
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    #305  
    I have been walking around with a permanent smile after the press conference yesterday, my girl wanted to know if I had a chick on the side or something ... Then I started explaining for 20 min about everything (which of course this has been my obssesion for weeks),
    ... at which point she rolls her eyes & says 'It mightve been better if you did have a chick on the side...' ... Haha
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
  6. #306  
    yeah, mine said "why don't you sleep with Palm tonight?" I said I might!
  7. #307  
    I was all giddy about it this morning and told my wife that there is talk of a WebOS tablet.

    Then she goes on to tell me how annoyed she was with her friend when they were deciding on a movie her friend said "Oh you want to find a movie you can use my iPhone" my wife says "Yeah I can do that on my Pre too" friend says "Yeah but it is so easy with mine". My wife was too annoyed to even respond back.

    So she was glad to hear that Palm will get a shot in the arm from HP.
  8. #308  
    Quote Originally Posted by deus_m12 View Post
    will this mean an all-out "hot war" between HP and Apple?
    There's definitely some bad blood between Apple and HP. Because organizations like that tend to have long memories, I don't doubt that there are folks (at both companies, really) who would like nothing better than to eat Apple's lunch.

    It won't be easy, but Apple's vulnerable. Android is rather quietly taking them to school, thus sucking up a good deal of their (ultimately, pretty limited) resources and causing them to do things they probably would rather not do (such as adding multitasking to the iPhone OS). Now, with the financial, industrial, and supply chain strengths that HP brings to the table, along with webOS and its inherent strengths, there's a very good chance that HP and Palm could put a real dent in Apple's plans for hegemony (*******s!).

    I'd guess that by the end of 2011 there will be four dominant smartphone platforms (in this order): iPhone, Android, Win Phone 7, and webOS. RIM is really the biggest loser here; I see them remaining strong internationally but losing a good deal of market share domestically.

    At the same time, HP will have a very nice presence beyond smartphones, namely in tablets (slates and convertibles) and netbooks. And, those will be both Win 7 and webOS. Heck, if I get my wish, we'll have dual-boot devices running both. And that will utterly destroy the iPad, unless Apple does some things it's loathe to do such as add pens and physical keyboards.

    Also, HP has much stronger cloud capabilities, and can provide some incredible solutions in that space that Apple can only dream of. MobileMe? Gimme a break...

    Of course, HP could always blow it, but they've not been doing that lately. They didn't become the #1 PC maker for nothing. I think Apple has reason to worry, and I for one will enjoy watching them get their comeuppance. Or, even better, I'll watch them suddenly realize that they have to worry about things like user preferences, productivity, and business use cases and start actually innovating rather than taking other companies' ideas and Apple-izing them.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  9. #309  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    I have been walking around with a permanent smile after the press conference yesterday, my girl wanted to know if I had a chick on the side or something ... Then I started explaining for 20 min about everything (which of course this has been my obssesion for weeks),
    ... at which point she rolls her eyes & says 'It mightve been better if you did have a chick on the side...' ... Haha
    I hear you...I was smarter this time, I really wanted to tell my wife all about it, but knowing that she wouldn't care, and wouldn't pretend to care, I just kept it to myself, and came here to share the joy!
  10. #310  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    OT

    Did you already change your pixi in your avatar to carry a HP label?
    nope... just using an avatar someone else created!!! I'm not that talented yet!!!
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
  11. #311  
    This is great news! I love webOS!
  12. #312  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    I have been walking around with a permanent smile after the press conference yesterday, my girl wanted to know if I had a chick on the side or something ... Then I started explaining for 20 min about everything (which of course this has been my obssesion for weeks),
    ... at which point she rolls her eyes & says 'It mightve been better if you did have a chick on the side...' ... Haha
    wow same experience here with my girl
    love the story
  13. #313  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    There's definitely some bad blood between Apple and HP. Because organizations like that tend to have long memories, I don't doubt that there are folks (at both companies, really) who would like nothing better than to eat Apple's lunch.

    It won't be easy, but Apple's vulnerable. Android is rather quietly taking them to school, thus sucking up a good deal of their (ultimately, pretty limited) resources and causing them to do things they probably would rather not do (such as adding multitasking to the iPhone OS). Now, with the financial, industrial, and supply chain strengths that HP brings to the table, along with webOS and its inherent strengths, there's a very good chance that HP and Palm could put a real dent in Apple's plans for hegemony (*******s!).

    I'd guess that by the end of 2011 there will be four dominant smartphone platforms (in this order): iPhone, Android, Win Phone 7, and webOS. RIM is really the biggest loser here; I see them remaining strong internationally but losing a good deal of market share domestically.

    At the same time, HP will have a very nice presence beyond smartphones, namely in tablets (slates and convertibles) and netbooks. And, those will be both Win 7 and webOS. Heck, if I get my wish, we'll have dual-boot devices running both. And that will utterly destroy the iPad, unless Apple does some things it's loathe to do such as add pens and physical keyboards.

    Also, HP has much stronger cloud capabilities, and can provide some incredible solutions in that space that Apple can only dream of. MobileMe? Gimme a break...

    Of course, HP could always blow it, but they've not been doing that lately. They didn't become the #1 PC maker for nothing. I think Apple has reason to worry, and I for one will enjoy watching them get their comeuppance. Or, even better, I'll watch them suddenly realize that they have to worry about things like user preferences, productivity, and business use cases and start actually innovating rather than taking other companies' ideas and Apple-izing them.
    Hey, if HP makes a device that has an Intel atom or a mobile pentium, if it dual boots Win7 and WebOS, I will also make it a hackintosh, and run OSX on it. Try that on an iPad!

    I already run OSX on 3 PC computers, it's easy.
  14. #314  
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    Hey, if HP makes a device that has an Intel atom or a mobile pentium, if it dual boots Win7 and WebOS, I will also make it a hackintosh, and run OSX on it. Try that on an iPad!

    I already run OSX on 3 PC computers, it's easy.
    Sure you could, but I have to ask: why would you want to? I run Windows 7 on my Macbook Pro because I find OS X to be ugly and constricting.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  15. #315  
    I would like to know whatnew tools can hp provide palm to change or improve webos. What new features we can expect? What ip and or patents can palm use exclusively that apple can't. Also can we see so sort of desktop syncing in the near future( itunes like)? Maybe printing feature. And also would palms staff grow fast after the deal is done? Would we get better webos upgrades faster? I'm not too concerned about a new webos device coming out right away_ I think improving weboos and the app catalog should be a big first todo, at least till the fall or so. What you guys think?
  16. #316  
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    wow same experience here with my girl
    love the story
    uh....ditto..... nerd alert!!!!
  17. mrkalel's Avatar
    Posts
    739 Posts
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    #317  
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    wow same experience here with my girl
    love the story
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    uh....ditto..... nerd alert!!!!
    lol... Well as nerds/geeks... we do have some pretty cool girls ...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
  18. #318  
    Quote Originally Posted by Heclaboy82 View Post
    Also can we see so sort of desktop syncing in the near future( itunes like)?
    Not sure about this one... HP does have some nice media center stuff and could put together something nice. But, they also are huge into cloud services, and could really flesh out Palm's current cloud offerings. I'd guess we'll see more cloud stuff before we see desktop synching.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  19. mrkalel's Avatar
    Posts
    739 Posts
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    #319  
    As for the recent announcement of the Courier being canceled by MS & the pretty universal sadness it has brought about (including me), I see this as being a product that HP/Palm could develop together with a hybrid Pen/Touch webOS Tablet....

    The possibilities of products that this collaboration can bring about is just crazy....
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
  20. solarus's Avatar
    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #320  
    Quote Originally Posted by bevansabg View Post
    Not good news in my opinion. My concern is that HP will try and shove all their ****ty software onto the device so that they can "vertically integrate" the business. Have you ever owned an HP Printer. Get used to error messages, warnings and all sorts of random notifications.

    If they leave palm alone and "gently" integrate webos into their system AND keep their grubby hands off webos, then it might work. Unfortunately I am not optimistic.
    I feel your pain on the HP software issue - I've lost count of how many times I've wanted to throw my printer out the window Never mind the time my folks updated the drivers for their HP printer and then, poof...there went the OS!

    I think that although HP will be adopting WebOS in other products but for the most part will be leaving Palm to operate with a fair amount of autonomy. Palm have what HP don't - an excellent history of innovation and software development. HP are generally a smart company so I think they know they will be better off if they leave Palm to develop OS and software and have the rest of the HP mobile group work on integrating Webos into other products.

Posting Permissions