Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    there will always be haters in every type of forum... but i think many here were not haters they are/were owners or past owners, that were just unhappy with the state of the phone they got... and imo... many with every right.

they bought a product that they wanted to be the best and were disappointed and expected more. i mean honestly... if the phone was really great, palm wouldnt be in the position they are in... bought out.

i think many will be optimistic again and if they show promise will give them another try. you would hope so because the object of the game is to get the customers back as well as new ones.

i personally hope they come out blazing with a hot phone... i want the best phone i can get at the time and that's where my money goes.

if you want haters... probably these guys that bought palm at 12 bucks and have to let go at under 6

Law Offices of Howard G. Smith Announces Investigation On Behalf of Shareholders of Palm, Inc. | Business Wire

Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Oh man. The Palm haters are hating life right now.

The Reptile made some really good points. Apple, Google and Microsoft are in for a fight. The game has gotten a whole lot more interesting. Blackberry is the one that should be afraid.
    Quote Originally Posted by edbbates11 View Post
    I'd buy it! Is it the 4G?
    Might be but you need RPN to make it work.
    Still buying an Evo. So shove that fanb0y! (said in fun before you have a conniption). Though it was one reason why I can't stand this site at times. Too many blind elitest Palm owners that believe any negative talk towards anything webOS labels one as a hater. How about just honest with eyes open. I truly don't understand the mentality of being so narrow minded that god forbid other people actually like other products and it doesn't mean they want to condemn Palm to the gates of hell. You talk to precentral people on other forums, and it's the above attitude they are relieved to be away from. If you can't see the pros and cons of your own OS along with others, then your opinions don't mean much in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChilinMichael View Post
    Take your Android/Apple...and shove it! I can Multi-task correctly!
    People clamoring for a slate....need to table the tablet idea for a bit. Why don't we let them stabilize the OS a bit more and actually get a killer phone out there first since the Pre and Pixi just ain't it. Even in Plus form. Get the phone right first, then focus on a tablet.

And since it'll be a bit before a 2nd gen phone arrives, can they at least throw Sprint users a bone and convert them to the Plus versions. Leave the regular versions for refurbs and insurance. Sell the + versions for $200 (maybe$150) to current webOS Sprint owners without having to sign a contract so they can take advantage of the new tech when it hits. There's some deep pockets now. Show a little good faith to current owners and keep them loyal for round 2.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Not good news in my opinion. My concern is that HP will try and shove all their ****ty software onto the device so that they can "vertically integrate" the business. Have you ever owned an HP Printer. Get used to error messages, warnings and all sorts of random notifications.

If they leave palm alone and "gently" integrate webos into their system AND keep their grubby hands off webos, then it might work. Unfortunately I am not optimistic.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Fantastic news. Hopefully HP can form some sort of software ecosystem for for WebOS (gaming, entertainment, etc.).

This is probably a blow to Windows Phone 7 as I am hearing HP was a significant partner.

My ATT contract is up in a month, but I gotta wait until Winter to see everybodies cards. No matter what you prefer, the 2nd half of this year is shaping up to be an exciting one (iPhone 4, Windows Phone 7, Froyo (Android 2.2), WebOS).
    I just want to point out that probably 90% of the people who use the forum here at Precentral are "nerds" or "*******" (fan-kids?). If you buy an appliance, and don't feel strongly one way or the other about it, you're not likely to locate online communities dedicated to the gadget to chat. It's mostly people who feel strongly (imho) who bother signing up for a web-forum like this.

So.. I think one should expect to see haters and fanpersons chiming in disproportionately to ambivalent folks. Though why someone who hates a product would be motivated to hover on its community site is beyond me. I personally don't care for the iPhone, but I don't park on Apple sites and whine.

Oh wait.. this is the internet..
    Last edited by blinktreo; 04/28/2010 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Removed humongous image about Trolls.
    Wow. I missed a lot being off the forums for 24 hours!!!!!

I am blown away at the HP + Palm thing. Simply awesome. HP has the financial backbone to really bump palm back to the top of the smartphone market. A lot can change when you have the financial resources to GET THINGS DONE!
    HP On Palm Acquisition: “Our Intent Is To Double Down On WebOS”

As you may have heard, HP has just announced the acquisition of Palm for $1.2 billion. It’s a massive move that HP hopes will reshape the mobile industry. I got a chance to talk with Brian Humphries, HP’s Senior Vice President of Strategy and Corporate Development, about the deal just now.

“This is a great opportunity to take two Silicon Valley idols and put them together,” Humphries noted. That’s an obvious statement, but he quickly moved on to the meat. “WebOS is the best-in-class mobile operating system. Our intent is to double down on webOS,” Humphries said.

That’s important. While it has been known for a while that Palm was looking for a buyer, the future of webOS wasn’t certain depending on who the eventual purchaser was. For example, when HTC was the rumored front-runner, it wasn’t clear if they would alienate their partners, Microsoft and Google, in order to use their own OS on their own devices. But HP doesn’t have the same level of conflicts. While they do have various deals with Microsoft and Google, they are not the major player in mobile that HTC is. With this deal, obviously, they hope to change that.

I asked Humphries to expand a bit about webOS and how it stacks up to rival mobile OSes made by Apple and Google. I also asked why HP wouldn’t just develop its own mobile OS as Apple has done? “We think it’s one of the best operating systems out there today. We see nothing in development in the next 3 to 5 years that comes close,” Humphries said. “We want to take HP’s financial strength and use it to take webOS to the next level,” he continued.

“We’ll compete aggressively in the market with Apple and Google. We’ve got our hands on a very compelling operating system,” Humphries concluded. He also noted that the plan is to keep it as open and friendly to developers as it has been.

When I asked if HP was concerned that Apple might come after them over mobile patents (Palm was rumored to be in Apple’s crosshairs for a while, and HTC is, of course, being sued by Apple), Humphries said, “I don’t think we’re overly concerned. We respect Apple.”

He also noted that with the acquisition, HP is also getting over 1,500 patents that Palm currently controls. Those patents were thought to be a part of the reason HTC was looking closely at the company. And they very well could be the reason Apple didn’t attempt to sue Palm.

Humphries wouldn’t comment on specific product plans right now, but said it’s safe to assume that the key to this deal was webOS and not Palm’s hardware — which has produced lackluster sales and placed Palm in the position where it needed to sell. That’s smart — pretty much exactly what I wrote back in October. He said it was premature to comment on Palm’s current deals with carrier partners, but I think it’s safe to say those are over and that HP will strike new ones when they’re ready.

HP’s press release stated that Palm CEO Jon Rubinstein is expected to remain with the company. There had been rumors he was on his way out, along with other Palm execs. Humphries wouldn’t comment on Rubinstein specifically or the role he would now play. A HP representative also on the call simply pointed me to what it said in the release. He also noted that they’ve put thought into how to retain key members of Palm’s team.

Long story short, HP just (re)entered the mobile space in a major way. And look for webOS to eventually be used across the range of HP products.

Read more: HP On Palm Acquisition: “Our Intent Is To Double Down On WebOS”
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    People clamoring for a slate....need to table the tablet idea for a bit. Why don't we let them stabilize the OS a bit more and actually get a killer phone out there first since the Pre and Pixi just ain't it. Even in Plus form. Get the phone right first, then focus on a tablet.
    The iPad made a big splash. Apple designs cool stuff, and they've got a very strong marketing arm. I'm just not convinced that the tablet form factor is here to stay. I'm waiting to see whether in six months everyone is carrying a tablet around with them.

Maybe I'm an old frt, but I've seen so many form factors come and go..
    I am dancing in the streets!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I screamed a bit when i read it, awkward cause I was in the middle of a serious conversation with my friend about some of his problems....he always says I talk about "Phones" too much. He was ****ed
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Finally! A calculator on a phone that is easy to use. This is a game breaker. Revolutionary!
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post

if you want haters... probably these guys that bought palm at 12 bucks and have to let go at under 6

Law Offices of Howard G. Smith Announces Investigation On Behalf of Shareholders of Palm, Inc. | Business Wire
    I don't know much about corporate law, and I can see where there may be some beef, but is this a normal activity when there's an acquisition like this? Or is this basically glorified ambulance-chasing?
    it's probably normal-glorified ambulance-chasing

when you buy stock in a company... will always be people that say they sold too cheap (wanting more money out of their investment)... and if THEY are happy then on the flip side there will be people that say YOU PAID TOO MUCH!! and file to stop the purchase.

it's probably the people that were optimistic and bought at 10+ ... and we are only talking a few months it started its decent... or people that bought at 4 and feel it was worth 12.

i have to say i considered buying in it when it went under 10.. thinking june was coming out and info of the next gen pre should give it a pop and if the phone was what the first should have been be a hit and breaks it's past high. lucky i didnt

Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    I don't know much about corporate law, and I can see where there may be some beef, but is this a normal activity when there's an acquisition like this? Or is this basically glorified ambulance-chasing?
    Last edited by donm527; 04/28/2010 at 09:32 PM.
    I own and use phones on three OS's (winmob, webOS and Android). I like to think I'm not parked in any one camp. I'm intrigued by WP7, but I have a lot of issues with it....Have to go through Zune, no user accessible file structure, no background music capability unless you go through zune services, and so on. I post negative and positive info on the backstage forumThe fanb0y responses there are interesting because they are stated as fact when everything is pure speculation. Regardless of whether or not you're a hater or a fanb0y, the opinions stated are usually skewed. I'd imagine most haters are disgruntled former owners secretly longing to come back if they get the chance, hence they still hang around. Disturbing to think they don't own a product but just get enjoyment posting negative info of a product they don't own.

I just want to point out that probably 90% of the people who use the forum here at Precentral are "nerds" or "*******" (fan-kids?). If you buy an appliance, and don't feel strongly one way or the other about it, you're not likely to locate online communities dedicated to the gadget to chat. It's mostly people who feel strongly (imho) who bother signing up for a web-forum like this.

So.. I think one should expect to see haters and fanpersons chiming in disproportionately to ambivalent folks. Though why someone who hates a product would be motivated to hover on its community site is beyond me. I personally don't care for the iPhone, but I don't park on Apple sites and whine.

Oh wait.. this is the internet..
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I think tablets have a place. I'd personally rather see one that can be it's own entity but have slots at the bottom to slide it into a keyboard. Quick presentations, quick browsing, email checking, picture frame, video device while traveling and so on. Great ways to use a tablet when a laptop would be too much and the phone isn't enough. I already envision using the HTC Evo with it's built in kickstand along with a BT keyboard. Would give me a reason to not always have to carry my laptop. I'd even carry a folding BT keyboard to use with a tablet as long as the tablet has a built in kickstand of some sort so I don't need to buy a separate stand. Just more bulk to carry around if I need a separate product to get it to stand on a table.

The iPad made a big splash. Apple designs cool stuff, and they've got a very strong marketing arm. I'm just not convinced that the tablet form factor is here to stay. I'm waiting to see whether in six months everyone is carrying a tablet around with them.

Maybe I'm an old frt, but I've seen so many form factors come and go..
    I just listened to the confrence call! All I can say is WOW. They freaking love WebOS and said they are going to spend tons of money marketing it helping developers create apps and getting it to all types of devices. I am squealing inside like a little school girl. You must listen to the confrence call!!!!!!!!!

WebOS will dominate the competition!!!!!!!!
    The HP Pre, Interesting
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    HPalm, burning the competition!

(first person to figure it out gets a thanks!)
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    HPalm, burning the competition!

(first person to figure it out gets a thanks!)
    Firefold?