Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    if HP announces new hardware when do you think this would be?
    Quote Originally Posted by mfaye21 View Post
    if HP announces new hardware when do you think this would be?
    it will take a while, I mean they're not even merged totally yet, and palm have devices in the pipeline, so they will probably make those devices with HP hardware suppliers?Maybe!!

I can't wait for a HP webOS device, but we're probably going to have too.

I think 2011 will see a flurry of webOS devices, maybe 5-8 phones and 1-3 Tablets would be nice!!
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    the merger will require regulatory approval (likely, no real overlap) and shareholder approval. I would think elevation partners are already on board with this.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Lame.... And this belongs in the HP thread.
    ha.

would have been funnier if I hadn't already seen it 4 or 5 times in the engadget comments

and by "would have been funnier" I of course mean it wouldn't have been funny anyways
    This signature for rent
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    My dream: an HP Slate that dual-boots Win 7 and webOS. Win 7 with an active digitizer (i.e., a pen) allows me to continue to take notes with OneNote and have full-featured productivity with MS Office and such, while webOS gives me the fast-booting (once they fix that; my Win 7 desktop actually boots faster than my Pre ) and snappy browing, content consumption, etc. device.

Best of both worlds. And, I'd happily pay more for the combination.
    There is a device out there, I think by Asus, that is a laptop running XP with a regular Intel processor, but that detaches from the keyboard and runs a proprietary OS with an Atom processor. It has a touchscreen and lets you browse, etc. I thought it didn't look very attractive as an alternative to an iPad, BUT...if you had Win7 on the laptop, and it detached and then ran WebOS, THAT would be something. But I bet it would also be expensive. A regular laptop that I would want would be at least $500. Add the second processor and the hardware changes and the second OS and the integration, and it would cost something to have a 2 in 1 device. It also couldn't be ready for at least a year, probably more. But I'll get it when it comes out.
    I'd buy it! Is it the 4G?
    Kind of a bummer.
    I'm happy that Palm now has some deep pockets to dip into for marketing and development.
    I'm sad that it had to be HP. HP has nothing to gain by owning Palm, so I'm afraid that the "Palm Division" is going to be treated like the "red-headed stepchild". Couple that with HP's affinity for mass producing poorly engineered and built products and we end up with a much larger version of what we already had. Crap hardware with awesome software.
    So, hoping for the best, but in all honesty, expecting the worst.
    The HTC EVO 4G is looking better and better everyday.
    The Saint
    so...is this a major middle finger to all those smug iphone users?will webOS NOW become the iphone killer??
    Bring on the cash!!
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    There is a device out there, I think by Asus, that is a laptop running XP with a regular Intel processor, but that detaches from the keyboard and runs a proprietary OS with an Atom processor. It has a touchscreen and lets you browse, etc. I thought it didn't look very attractive as an alternative to an iPad, BUT...if you had Win7 on the laptop, and it detached and then ran WebOS, THAT would be something. But I bet it would also be expensive. A regular laptop that I would want would be at least $500. Add the second processor and the hardware changes and the second OS and the integration, and it would cost something to have a 2 in 1 device. It also couldn't be ready for at least a year, probably more. But I'll get it when it comes out.
    You're thinking of the Lenovo Ideapad U1, I think, that'll be out this summer. I'd like to see something like this as well, but I also want a slate with a pen for taking notes. If they do a webOS slate with inking capabilities, I'd be happy with that, but I do love taking notes on my Tablet PC with MS OneNote. Helluva tool.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    What the heck? I go away for 18 hours and the whole Palm world caves in. All I have to say right now is WOW!
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    1) Cost efficiency. Mark Hurd is a stickler for cost. He'll squeeze every last penny out of Palm that he can. So what may be a company that makes nice margins on their devices will be one that will make killer margins on their devices. Palm will no doubt need every bit of HP procurement and supply chain expertise and they'll benefit from it.

2) Better manufactured devices. The Pre has terrific software but it's build quality leaves something to be desired. HP has manufacturing capabilities and relationships with third parties that Palm would only get in their dreams. Expect their products to make a quantum leap in quality after the deal closes.

3) Better relationships with carriers. While HP doesn't have tons of handsets to sell the worlds carriers they have sold them all equipment in the past. From hardware, software, services and networking gear there's no doubt that HP has relationships with the world's carriers. Mark Hurd is active in his relationships with customers to expect his calls on the world's carriers to take a new turn - for both handsets and future tablet type devices derived from WebOS.

4) The Cloud. HP through Enterprise Services (formerly EDS) has data centers around the world. ES and HP Labs have developed cloud-based technologies that are innovative, industry leading and in production with customers around the world. Getting something going for consumers will be child's play for HP and Palm in the future.

5) Marketing and Distribution reach. Once the new telco's realize that HP is in this for the long haul there should be no problem getting the word out about the products and getting them in the hands of customers. HP sells product in over 100 countries worldwide and already has the channels open that Palm could leverage. No matter what the products are called in the future (my bet is they go with the HP brand and WebOS products) people will know they exist, their place in the market and how/where to get them.

6) Product line extensions. Since HP released it's touch smart computers it's been obvious that they had some interesting concepts that they wanted to share with the world but had to bend too much to Microsoft to get things done (whether it was wait for them to be ready to launch it or get approval from Mr. Softie). With WebOS that all goes away and we'll see that platform show up everywhere. Without doubt HP could go toe to toe with Apple. All they needed was an OS. They now have one. Next up, more products.

Well, looking forward to stopping in again. Was a big Palm fan in the past. The delay in webOS made me go to Apple. Somewhere along the way my company got purchased by HP and I guess I'm going to be working for Palm when it's all said and done (figuratively, not literally). Time to be more of a team player/****** I guess.
    Cool, I guess all of the doom and gloom forecasters can go back to their Apple and Android forums and stay out of precentral.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Cool, I guess all of the doom and gloom forecasters can go back to their Apple and Android forums and stay out of precentral.
    +1
    Amen to that.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Reptile;

Very well stated.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Oh man. The Palm haters are hating life right now.

The Reptile made some really good points. Apple, Google and Microsoft are in for a fight. The game has gotten a whole lot more interesting. Blackberry is the one that should be afraid.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    now hopefully the Sprint deal with Walmart for the 4g towers or whatever goes through.... whoa... and Palm comes out with some smashing devices... atleast 4-5 now that they don't have to worry about the cash... and advertises like crazy... yet to see an ad on TV...
    I knew of someone that went on and on about how Palm is gonna die, blah blah blah while I said not true they were the leader with their OS...guess he's eating his words now. Now they are backed by the strongest technology company ever, and slated (pun intended) to destroy all others.

Take your Android/Apple...and shove it! I can Multi-task correctly!

Not like these other phones "Did that task really end? Let me go check my task manager..oh wait no it didn't" 50 clicks and countless minutes spent later...yeah...no thanks.
    Great news, I'm geared. Still buying a droid tomorrow and setting the pre+ up for a bit, see if I can get closer to the life I had w/the n900 before I needed to make calls on the thing.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.