Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    I don't know if this is truly the first time that someone has ever printed from a Pre, but I figured that I'd share my joy from this morning with everyone:

(Sorry about the blurry picture. It was taken with my Sprint Pre.)

It was done using OpenOffice, via X-Windows in a Debian chroot environment. CUPS is also running in the chroot, and was configured to spool the job to a print queue on a CUPS server box in my office.

Since WebOS applications do not contain a print function, this is pretty much useless outside of the chroot environment under X-Windows. I just wanted to see if it could be done, and the answer is yes.....
    I have no idea what you are talking about lol. All that "coding" debian stuff is out of my league. Simpler approach?
    now just need mobile open office for webos =)
    I would love to be able to print from my Pre. Do any smartphones have the ability?
    impressive
    So how far away are we from a version of OpenOffice for WebOS that the general public can install?
    kudos vreihen! seriously sweet man, congratulations! this is why this os will stay around, earlier today people were complaining on engadet about how u cant print from the pre and how it will take hp to figure it out. long live homebrew!
    Palm prē-ist.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    I would love to be able to print from my Pre. Do any smartphones have the ability?
    Yup... The iPhone with the HP print app. I use it on my iPod Touch.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    hope this makes it to preware. HP is gonna need all the help it can get from exactly people like you who push the pre to do what people say it cant. great job
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    Yup... The iPhone with the HP print app. I use it on my iPod Touch.
    And the WebOS HP Print App coming in

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    And the WebOS HP Print App coming in

I would buy that in 2...1...
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Here's to hoping that HB + HP can figure it out!
    Printboy worked great on my Centro
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    So how far away are we from a version of OpenOffice for WebOS that the general public can install?
    The webos-internals team is working on packaging up the X environment, and said that they should have something in the timeframe of weeks rather than months in a posting on the X server thread. I'm not a part of their team, just someone who downloaded their proof-of-concept and tinkered with it.....
    Maybe you should be...
    This is actually one of those things that was a more basic PDA function back in the day (with the proper software). Used to be able to IR print from a PDA to an IR enabled printer back in the day.

And then as posted below, the iphone currently can. Not sure about anything else really, it's a cool function and useful to some. In reality I think it's one of those things that has become low priority due to mobile e-mail and mobile bandwidth. If you are around a printer, you are around a computer too and can easily get the file(s) from a mobile device to said computer to print. Now with the increase in wifi printers, maybe the concept will come back to be more standard....
    I'm actually a little surprised that the iPrint (not an apple i-product) project hasn't taken off with mobile phone clients. It already has apple, Linux and windows based clients for the PC world, and speaking as a sysadmin if I could get the Linux client to work on my Pre I'd get the compatible driver on at least my closest printer at work.