Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Which one do you use and why? I'm unsure as to which one to install & I suppose this would be a good way to gather information on which one would be most beneficial to myself and others.
    UberKernel is a decent Kernel and I am sure when Rod gets finished with it, it will be a great kernel as well.

I ran it for several days and found it to be more stable than previous kernels and loved the processor temp addittion. But I did have a couple of hang/luna restarts on wakeup while using it. It could have been due to leaving Govnah running in the background though. When I started closing Govnah I didn't have any more hangs. Also, Rod has intentionally made UberKernel settings to not remain persistent with a restart (for the time being). Uberkernel runs at the default 500MHz unless you use some form of governer/scaler to change the settings.

All things being equal... the current SPK is faster than anything else I have ran to date and more stable as well. And, given the simplicity of install and removal of SPK and being able to change your settings all within the same app that you install or remove the kernel from (with a single tap for either). There isn't any reason to not try SPK. If you don't like it, uninstall the custom kernel, remove the SPK app and try something else.

I'm not faulting Rod's work in any way. I like a lot of what they are doing but it is still being developed. So don't take this as a knock to anyone else's work. Caj, just has the best performing kernel out there right now based on my personal experience.

I have not tried Compcache.

I have made decent donations to all of these guys work over the last several weeks as well as provided feedback on their various products. They can each vouch for that.

You can find this posted originally HERE
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    I too had hangs (a lot of them) with UberKernal and complete shutdowns. Primarily had a problem where the button would blink but the screen would not come on. Phone would not ring. Had to do battery pull to reset. Not much difference whether Govnah running or not. Last night I switched to Compache. Seems to run much cooler all the time, but damn fast when screen is on. Not one hang thus far. By this time the day before, I'd had over 15. That's not a typo. Had repaired the phone twice to no avail.
    I've had hangs. But I hadn't correlated that with running Uber Kernel. I guess I'll try SPK and see if it makes my pre any more stable.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    I'm not sure about the other two but I have spk and it runs fine its simple and easy to install as well as uninstall the app as well as the kernels I don't thing it could get any easier
    it's important to understand what each option represents.

"Super Pre Kernel" is the same overclocking kernel built on the 1.4.0 Palm kernel that Unixpsycho developed and has been floating around for months now, with an app interface and improved packaging. It is fast and the kernel has obviously been tested extensively.

Uber Kernel is a new kernel built on the 1.4.1 Palm kernel, that uses the same voltage and frequency settings for overclocking, but includes a myriad of different options for governing the processor speed, and access to the internal CPU temp (as opposed to the nearly useless for OCing purposes battery temp monitor). It defaults to the standard Palm settings unless changed via an App (Cpu Scaling App, or Govnah) or linux command line. Until Govnah is ready for general release, it is not recommended for anyone who isn't familiar with overclocking, CPU governors, linux commandline, etc.

It will be interesting to see what happens to "Super Pre Kernel" when the next Palm update is released.
    it should work fine and if not oh well no big deal because if it does not work none or the kernels will work to start with . then someone will come along and fix it lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    besides that . the next phone to come out wont need a kernel anyways
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    See /palm-pre-tips-information-resources/242785-super-prekernel-app-download-tutorial-video-post2412077.html for the list of things which are identical between the Super PreKernel and the Uber-Kernel.

The performance when running either Uber-Kernel or Super Pre Kernel is identical when both are installed and configured correctly and no other factors are coming into play (e.g. other apps that are using all the memory or something).

Uber-Kernel also contains the internal CPU temperature sensor, is safe to leave in place for a webOS OTA update, has all governors available for selection, uses the latest webOS 1.4.1 kernel source, is being worked on by the original overclocking patch author (unixpsycho), is packaged and maintained by WebOS Internals, and is a single click install from Preware (once you've added the testing feeds). Note that all of these things are open source, and are available for any other group to add to their kernel at any time.

Compcache kernel is the bleeding edge of development with a brand new custom governor written by unixpsycho and a number of other features.. Stable features from the Compcache kernel will eventually end up in the Uber-Kernel. Steve Bromwich also has a range of bleeding edge kernels, and stable features from those will also end up in the Uber-Kernel.

Super Pre Kernel has been installed and tested by a much larger group of people, and has a cinematic video.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 04/29/2010 at 05:18 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Jesus loves you
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    besides that . the next phone to come out wont need a kernel anyways
    Seriously, go read a book on operating systems and come back when you have any kind of a clue what you're talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
    Seriously, go read a book on operating systems and come back when you have any kind of a clue what you're talking about.
    back at ya buddy lol jesus loves you toooooo
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The performance when running either Uber-Kernel or Super Pre Kernel is identical when both are installed and configured correctly and no other factors are coming into play (e.g. other apps that are using all the memory or something).
    Well, ok. But I have been experiencing hangs while using UK over the past week or so. It happens enough that I'm sure the conditions to repeat it will happen under SPK, too. If, over the course of the next week, under similar usage conditions, I do not experience hangs using SPK, I'm going to conclude that SPK is more stable than UK.

If that's the case, I could speculate that the additional governors and CPU temp code are causing problems. But, of course, I don't know.

I wish that I could tell you the exact conditions that cause the hang so that I could then reliably reproduce it. But I can't. All I know is that it happens several times per day. If it stops under SPK, I'll let you know.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    i was using the first kernal, not even sure of the name, but was pre 1.4.1.1
    now using super kernel

both seem the same to me..........

using it along with the scaler program too
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter600 View Post
    i was using the first kernal, not even sure of the name, but was pre 1.4.1.1
    now using super kernel

both seem the same to me..........
    Which is unsurprising, since they are indentical.
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Well, ok. But I have been experiencing hangs while using UK over the past week or so. It happens enough that I'm sure the conditions to repeat it will happen under SPK, too. If, over the course of the next week, under similar usage conditions, I do not experience hangs using SPK, I'm going to conclude that SPK is more stable than UK.

If that's the case, I could speculate that the additional governors and CPU temp code are causing problems. But, of course, I don't know.

I wish that I could tell you the exact conditions that cause the hang so that I could then reliably reproduce it. But I can't. All I know is that it happens several times per day. If it stops under SPK, I'll let you know.
    Don't leave the Govnah app open for too long, cause it saves all the temperature data in memory and you will eventually run out of memory.

Also note that results on one Pre are not transferrable to another Pre - they all have individual CPU devices which all have different operation limits due to the variability of the manufacturing process. So the results from person A may not be able to be reproduced by person B, even if they have exactly the same settings applied.

But seriously, people should just use whatever kernel solution they feel comfortable with. It's all just 1's and 0's - people shouldn't be arguing over it.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Keep in mind the compcache support is experimental. Other features like LCD scaling will make it into UberKernel before compcache.

Only brave and skilled users should try my bleeding kernels. You will almost expect to reinstall stock kernel to recover ;-).
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    Jesus loves you
    Thanks mate. Although I'm pretty sure Pre overclocking comes quite low down on his priority list.

I treat this stuff as 1's and 0's, with objective rational technical discussion and objective technical comparisons without emotion or defensiveness, rather than as a religion

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Thanks mate. Although I'm pretty sure Pre overclocking comes quite low down on his priority list.

I treat this stuff as 1's and 0's, with objective rational technical discussion and objective technical comparisons without emotion or defensiveness, rather than as a religion

-- Rod
    just sayin , in case you didnt already know
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    The black screen crashes I was getting with the UK and govnah were starting to get annoying. So I'm running a little experiment in that I have the UK installed, but staying with the stock setting, no changes in govnah. If it runs stable for awhile, then I believe the problem lies in the governor settings and not the kernel as a whole, or at least the governor setting on *my* hardware. I'll feed back my findings to those interested.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast