Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I finally broke down and requested a warranty replacement for my Pre. I know that the issues I have been having are pretty common (keyboard, phantom headset, gps), but I thought "What the heck!"

I just received my warranty replacement (obviously a refurb). The stupid little door on the USB port is askew! REALLY? I can't believe this. The smooth lines and shape are supposed to be features of this phone. And, now, the USB door is going to catch on everything and probably rip off.

So, I haven't even activated it. Should I just send it back? What do I do?
    Nicky
    you are the customer, call and complain..what can it hurt.
    EOM
    Just got my yesterday was also a refurb, ##RTN# shows refurb date 4/13/10. The USB door on mine is a hard to open, but I am sure it will loosen up with time, I use the touchstone so I only time i used it is to access via the PC.

BTW I cracked the screen in mine, had to pay $100 deductible to get a new one.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Yep. I emailed my business account manager. When I didn't get an immediate response, I called her. Of course, the result is that I had to call customer service (which I hate to do). They are sending me another warranty replacement.

The problem is that it doesn't make me any less ****ed off.
    Nicky
    did they say if it was gonna be a new unit or a refurb?

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I have had 4 warranty replacements—3 from Verizon and 1 from Palm. All of them have the keyboard issue. I'm hoping the software update being issued tonight fixes it.
    I have a similar problem with my Pre's USB door. It doesn't quite sit flush with the rest of the phone and is kind of annoying some times but its not a huge deal to me. I'm pretty used to crappy harware coming from Palm (as all of their hardware is plastic and scratches or breaks off easily) I just love webOS and couldn't use a phone running any other operating system.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    @Butters: Refurb 4/15/10; door not stiff, it sticks up on one side; they are sending me another refurb.

@Grizzld: Already experience double-type with refurb.

@ColbyM: The door is crooked. It only sticks up on one side. I probably wouldn't be throwing such a fit, but my existing one is completely flush. And, I used to charge via cable every weekend (touchstone @ work) until I got a touchstone for home.
    Nicky
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Update: Verizon forced me to activate the refurb because they couldn't order the replacement for the replacement unless it was activated.
    Nicky
    what does Verizon do if you tell them that some things are wrong with the phone (gps, phantom earphones, and keyboard) and when they get it, none of thoses issues are happening for them?
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Update: Just received my second warranty replacement. This one is also a refurb (expected) with an older date than the last one: 4/8/10. The usb cover is a little better, but not as good as my original. And, I now get to experience the "Oreo Effect." Yipee!

I am trying to be more patient this time. However, I have a feeling that I see another warranty replacement in my future. And, this one better be brand spanking new!
    Nicky
    Send it back. You pay for that warranty so they will replace your phone if it has problems. Not to send you a device with different problems. Refurb isn't the same as used.

And the refurb itself comes with a 30 day warranty, so if it develops a problem after a few weeks, you should make them send another.

When that has happened to me, I don't even activate it. I just call support and escalate it instantly to someone that can send another one. I'm always nice on the phone, but I also know what I want them to do.

IMHO
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    When that has happened to me, I don't even activate it. I just call support and escalate it instantly to someone that can send another one. I'm always nice on the phone, but I also know what I want them to do.
    When my first warranty replacement wasn't acceptable, I called immediately for another replacement. They informed me that I had to activate the replacement I had received before they could order me another replacement.
    Nicky
    Time to activate and then ask for another one...
    Wow, sounds like HP customer support! (except it doesn't sound like you had to wait to get refurb unit shipped--they were always on back order at HP). I guess Verizon customers are already used to what it will be like.

Jordan (former, IPaq owner)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsanders View Post
    Update: Just received my second warranty replacement. This one is also a refurb (expected) with an older date than the last one: 4/8/10. The usb cover is a little better, but not as good as my original. And, I now get to experience the "Oreo Effect." Yipee!

I am trying to be more patient this time. However, I have a feeling that I see another warranty replacement in my future. And, this one better be brand spanking new!
    I wouldn't count on it, I have had 6 warranty replacements... all broken out of the box, including my brand new in box, that had a crack under the surface of the screen... and I am still on Refurbs. Good luck though, Verizon might be different. Sprint, ... I am just going to be quiet. I don't think it's right, that I bought a broken phone, had for a couple of hours and have had 5 refurbs that were all broken in the last 5 weeks. 6 Pre's in 5 weeks.
    First Alltel "smartphone" HTC Touch (4 devices); then HTC Diamond (1 device); then Blackberry Pearl 8130 (1 device; the Blackberry Curve 8330 (6 devices due to becoming Verizon customer ); then.... Finally the wondrous and amazing Palm Pre and I will never go back!
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Just got off the phone with Tech Support ... again! They are sending me another refurbished unit. I will let you know its condition when it arrives.

Grrrr ... again!
    Nicky
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Received my third warranty replacement. It has the exact same problems as the last one.
    Nicky