Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by rattical View Post
    I have had two replacements direct from Palm Technical Support Corporate Relations 407-531-4496... This is a known issue, and if explained in a calm and appropriate manner to the team member they will replace without question. Some of the fee's can be waived by simply asking them to and the $200 (negotiated from $400) deposit for return assurance gets credited back as soon as they receive the returned defective device...

I am trying to hold out for new hardware before calling to get a third warranty replacement, but it might seem as that is farther off then my third will hold up...

Need new and better hardware ASAP...
    Does this work with a launch day Pre?
    Because that would mean it's out of the 1 year warranty.
    I have insurance through Sprint but would like to do this quick and painless. (Cheap too).
    Hi guys!

I just came back from a Sprint store because I lost the USB door.

The guy looked over my phone and first said that something inside was broken and a new door would not stay in.

Second, he said that there was a crack on the top part of the USB area. I immmediately said no it was just a scratch.

But when I got home, it turned out he was correct, there was a total crack from the middle of the USB port to the screen.

So what does the PreCentral folk suggest: 1) Just ignore it, new phones should come out soon. 2) Send it back and pay the $100 for the co-pay on the insurance 3) Get some liquid glue and hopes it seals it, until a new phone comes out?

Thanks everyone!

Now I have to read all about this crack issue!

Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post

I just came back from a Sprint store because I lost the USB door.

The guy looked over my phone and first said that something inside was broken and a new door would not stay in.

Second, he said that there was a crack on the top part of the USB area.

So what does the PreCentral folk suggest:
    The exact same thing happened to my launch day pre this past weekend. The USB door broke off, along with part of the top cover that keeps the USB door tether attached. It also has a crack on the top cover going all the way to the screen.

I put some super glue on it, didn't really like the huge gap in the side so I called Asurion and have a replacement on the way, should have it tomorrow.

I very rarely use the USB connection so I'm surprised it cracked the cover in that area. I just hope the next webOS phone is built better with the USB port on the bottom where it belongs.
    Same here, cracked on top of usb & door fell off, Sprint said oh well normal wear. Then they wanted to sell me an EVO..
    Hi guys, I'm going to my friends house and it's a long drive.

When I get to his house, I want to call Palm as you guys suggested and the only phone number I found is for support at $15 per phone call?

Did you guys call that number or something else?

Can someone list the phone number to Palm so I can talk about the cracked USB port and the missing door?

Thank you!

If nobody has a phone number, what was the link to the CHAT support that you used?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

I have had two replacements direct from Palm Technical Support Corporate Relations 407-531-4496... This is a known issue, and if explained in a calm and appropriate manner to the team member they will replace without question. Some of the fee's can be waived by simply asking them to and the $200 (negotiated from $400) deposit for return assurance gets credited back as soon as they receive the returned defective device...

I am trying to hold out for new hardware before calling to get a third warranty replacement, but it might seem as that is farther off then my third will hold up...

Rattical ... thanks for the phone number.

My wife and I both got Palm Pre's in late August 2009. Both developed the USB crack in the last few months. The crack got bigger, a triangle chipped out, then the USB door was lost.

I had taken mine into a Sprint store and was told that it was a cosmetic issue, so they would not replace. Called the number provided and had no problem getting them to agree to replace both mine and my wife's. Have to pay $30 for the advanced replacement and a hold of $400 for each phone (in case I do not return the old phone). They did waive the $30 charge on the second phone.

I was told the department at this number is small (about a dozen people) and generally only handle escalated issues. I assume that means they have more power to give better service.

Thanks again for the number.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    If you need any more outlets for this issue, I started a thread on the Palm Support Forums a few months ago regarding usb door cracks:

Pre - Usb Door Cracks - PreCentral Poll - Palm Support Community

They finally replaced my device, but due to a faulty camera, not the crack...
    I'm not crazy about the crack and the chip (knock on wood, they're hanging in) but I can hang in there until a new Web OS device comes out.
    If I have to use the USB port, I have to put the port cover and the chip in a safe place so I can stick them back in.
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye09 View Post
    Rattical ... thanks for the phone number.

My wife and I both got Palm Pre's in late August 2009. Both developed the USB crack in the last few months. The crack got bigger, a triangle chipped out, then the USB door was lost.

I had taken mine into a Sprint store and was told that it was a cosmetic issue, so they would not replace. Called the number provided and had no problem getting them to agree to replace both mine and my wife's. Have to pay $30 for the advanced replacement and a hold of $400 for each phone (in case I do not return the old phone). They did waive the $30 charge on the second phone.

I was told the department at this number is small (about a dozen people) and generally only handle escalated issues. I assume that means they have more power to give better service.

Thanks again for the number.
    Thank you for bringing the phone number forward in the message thread.

I do have one question, is this a free number, because the other one I found for support was a fee based number?

Thanks again for bringing it forward.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Well s*** me backwards.

Here I was figuring I did something to the phone in pocket (never dropped it) or by sitting with it in my pocket...

And it's yet another hardware flaw.

*shrug*

My crack is not at the corner of the USB door, though, it comes up perpendicular to the door at the middle and is now about 1/16th of an inch into the screen...

Imma have to hit the Sprint repair store (again, as I had to get the earpiece speaker replaced a month ago).

God I love WebOS, but the hardware is starting to really, really **** me off.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Thank you for bringing the phone number forward in the message thread.

I do have one question, is this a free number, because the other one I found for support was a fee based number?

Thanks again for bringing it forward.

Rob
    The number listed does not charge for support. Obviously it is not a toll free number, but that doesn't really matter if you call from your cell. I did agree to pay $30 for processing and shipping both ways.
    So I have a launch day Pre and a few months ago it went into a repeating loop trying to boot up. So I tried everything know on these forums and nothing worked. I took it into the local non-corporate Sprint store and they replaced the chipset for free (yes, I have insurance) but the next day I noticed a small crack at the USB door heading toward the screen! Next day the USB door comes out when I opened the port! Didn't say anything to Sprint. Got extremely busy at work and the crack spread up onto the screen about a sixteenth of an inch. Then a second crack appeared around the USB door making a triangle of plastic with the 1st crack that looked like I was going to loose a huge chunk any day! So I stopped by the Sprint store and showed the repair guy and the 1st thing he says is "looks like you got this thing hopped up" (1.0 mHz...yep) so I didn't say anything and he's cycling through all my pages of apps and says "man, this baby's loaded!" Then he tells me to come back in an hour and he'll have it ready. So when I come back he tells me they don't have the part because apparently there are some variations of screens for these phones and they're getting a brand new phone from one of the other local stores and I can pick it up tomorrow. Not a refurb....a brand new phone in the box! I'm excited and torn at the same time. A new phone sounds great as my slider was getting a bit loose and with the cracks and all I wasn't sure this phone was going to make it until the great HP WebOS phone hits the market and I don't see Sprint getting the Pre 2. At the same time I'm sad 'cuz my Pre was the first one sold in Idaho on launch day and it's going to be scrap! Oh well, I'll get over it...NEW PHONE, YAY! BTW, is this normal for a Sprint non-corporate store, 'cuz I keep reading horror stories on these forums about trying to get phones replaced/fixed?
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

I used the above number just now. The menu asked if I wanted customer service or corporate relations. I'm a private user, so I selected that menu item. I had to call another number which I did. I went through the entire info process. The service person at the end said I would have to send in the phone and they would have it back in 7 days. I told him I work for a living and use my phone all the time. He said that was the only option I had or maybe contact my carrier.

I called the number supplied by rattical again, but this time staying with the corporate relations group. Different attitude. He did suggest the first option was sending it in. However when I stressed this was a phone I used for business (which it is) he offered the exchange program, waived the $30 charge for shipping. Yes, there was still the $400 charge to the card, but that is wiped upon receipt of the old Pre.

Moral of the story ......... stick with corporate relations!
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I have had my Verizon Pre Plus since June 2010 and mine just cracked as described here and pictured on Palms site. Mine hasn't reached the screen yet, but it looks like that will happen because of all these posts. Has anyone had luck getting Verizon to replace their phones because of this issue?

UPDATE:Backed up my USB stuff and brought the phone into Verizon this morning. They had 3 refurbished in stock and I am now restoring my stuff to the new phone. This store has been helpful in the past, can't say that about all Verizon stores, and replaced it without question. So I hope the new one, my 3rd since June2010, lasts for some time.
    Last edited by TimBoch; 01/06/2011 at 02:02 PM.
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
    I called the number above & went thru the corporate relations tree. Got them to replace the phone, and talked them down to $14.95. He wanted to have me return the phone for exchange, but he agreed to send the replacement first when I asked nicely. If they determine that the crack was caused by physical damage, e.g., drop, then I'll get charged $200. But since that's not what happened, I'm fairly confident that I won't get charged $200.
    A design flaw to which nothing you can do about it, on my 4th pre doing this and not gonna bother getting a replacement but gonna get a pre2 and swap out the comm boards since this flaw was corrected there
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234