Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    UGH! i think today or tomorrow is the day for me i'm going to call palm (or verizon, haven't decided yet).

this phone has been PERFECT for me (it's my third). a double letter mishap maybe once a week (i can live with that after my first two phones), NO oreo, NO space between the top and bottom half of the slider. just has been great... except the crack that is now dangerously close to the screen
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    So I had the USB crack, and thought I would give a replacement a try. I went to the Sprint store on Saturday, and they ordered me a replacement. Luckily my rep had the same crack on his pre, and he knew it was an issue. So received the refurb on Tuesday, but the ear piece didnt work. So I got the second replacement the same day.

Here is my dilemma. The second replacement was very laggy. Im still trying to determine if there are reception issues. After I installed the Uberkernel, the is no lag and the phone works fine. Im not sure if it is worth it to get it replaced again? Any suggestions?
    ive had the dust cover of the usb port fall off, just moving it to charge my phone. Ive also gave my phone a 1/4 inch crack at the usb port, by holding the phone in both hands and adding light pressure to tighten the slider, after this shortly the small crack had formed.
    it wasnt much of a problem on its own, than during a night of doctoring my Pre, thedoctor had froze several times for well over an hour. i had hard reset my phone and all information, my phone even said it wasnt activated. i called for 4 days to get help, even took to the repair center.

The repair center refused to trade it because of the crack, that was barely visable. it was determined that my software was corrupted, but due to the crack the phone couldnt be exchanged unless i wanted to risk a 500$ fine. Hell no.

i called sprint n expllained again, they had knowledge of the crack in their system. n told me to talk to the insurance, even though my software was corrupted, n could not be activated n it wasnt even programed i was told. sprint customer service n sprint repair both tried but to no luck. i had to pay 100$ to replace my phone due to software failure. at least it wasnt 500$
    Sprint wouldn't repair it for me under warranty and even said they'd never heard of this problem before, so I contacted Palm support and they offered me a $30 advanced replacement.
    well i used the insurance for mine .. my usb door broke off .... then the crack started and it migrated to the screen and was up and down the right side of the screen about 2" long ..

just filled out the online insurance form through sprint, paid the $100 .. and got a replacement ..

since then, went back to the standard battery from the extended sedio .. got a few more touchstones.. and had someone at best buy install a invisi-shield since i could never figure out how to do it correctly.
    They gave me a new phone when that crack happened to me at the sprint store
    I noticed a crack in my Sprint Pre about 2-3 weeks ago.

From what I'm reading, it looks hit or miss as far as getting it replaced under warranty vs. insurance.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jedicide View Post
    I noticed a crack in my Sprint Pre about 2-3 weeks ago.

From what I'm reading, it looks hit or miss as far as getting it replaced under warranty vs. insurance.
    Everything is hit or miss with Sprint. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!
    Good Luck
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    A crack appeared coming from the USB door in my Pre about 2 weeks ago, and has slowly been marching towards the screen. I'm certainly not about to pay $100 for another Pre, so I'll probably pick up an Evo when the crack makes it to the screen. I'm not sure what caused the crack to appear, I have only dropped the phone twice and that was months ago. Hopefully in another year Palm will have something out on Sprint with better hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace4 View Post
    A crack appeared coming from the USB door in my Pre about 2 weeks ago, and has slowly been marching towards the screen. I'm certainly not about to pay $100 for another Pre, so I'll probably pick up an Evo when the crack makes it to the screen. I'm not sure what caused the crack to appear, I have only dropped the phone twice and that was months ago. Hopefully in another year Palm will have something out on Sprint with better hardware.
    If you insist to sprint CS that you refuse to pay 100.00 for an insurance replacement on a KNOWN issue, they will credit your account the 100.00 so you can still order the phone from insurance - this is how they are avoiding making it an "official issue" with the phone

thats what I was told when I did it

originally the CS rep kept insisting insurance and I said absolutely not .. so they told me to go to the sprint store so they could look and see that the phone didnt appear "damaged" in any other way, if it appeared a manufacturer issue they would replace it ...

I go to the store and they marked the phone as damaged, but didnt tell me that - they looked at the phone and said, yes its cracked, but we wont replace it, you have to use insurance - store rep told me they had an email from sprint corp. that they could not replace USB port cracked phones, its not a known issue ( I asked WHY would corp send a special email about not replacing, if its not a known issue ... obviously they had MANY phones come back with this issue or why would they write a special email about it)

I went home, called CS and they said, nope cant order you a phone now, the store says its damaged - WT*? of course its damaged, just not by me! I argued a few minutes and hung up out of frustration. 2 days later Sprint called me and offered the 100.00 credit if I would order through assurion .. which I did because I was worried the crack would end up all the way across the screen
    smiles for your day ~ pixielee
    In a love/hate relationship w/my PalmPre(s) 6/6/09 3/22/10 4/12/10 and 5/5/10 (ops yes I lost one!)

Its Life - Live it, Love it, PLAY in it
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    My family has three Palm Pre phones and only one has that crack (about 1/4 inch) - of course some people in my family are a little more abusive on their phones than I am (mine is crack free).
    Robert @ Mobile Cash Quest
    Your shot @ $5,000 is just a FREE App Away!
    Mobile Cash Quest - Scavenger Hunt for Palm Phones where you race other Palm owners for real prizes!
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Mine did the same thing, and I got no-where with Sprint, so instead I contacted Palm. I also made sure to mention a thread on PreCentral where literally hundreds of users had the same crack. Palm ended up sending me a new phone, free of charge.

Of course, that replacement phone ended up having a faulty headphone port, where the phone ear-piece wouldn't work at certain times (another common early-pre defect). So Palm sent me ANOTHER replacement, and that's the one I've been on since then.
    I rarely open the USB port since I use the Touchstone.
    The last few weeks, I've seen the crack develop on my launch day Pre.
    Yesterday, I wanted to back up, so I opened it up, the cover fell out, then part of the plastic broke off the phone.
    Also, on the left side of my Pre, directly across the USB port, is a new crack.
    I think what the issue is, is when you close the slider, it puts pressure on that part of the phone and eventually you get the crack.
    I'm waiting for the crack to spread to the screen, then I'll talk to Sprint about a replacement.
    So, after watching my USB crack slowly getting bigger over the past couple weeks, I think I need to do something about it. (I don't have service, so no insurance... )

Before I drill into it, anyone have any tips?
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Ok, good news! I drilled into the crack. Now it shouldn't spread anymore. My screen is safe.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Only time mine cracked is when i had it in my case and pushed against it while getting a part from a shelf i herd a snap and sure enough it shattered the screen i took mine to the sprint store said it just shattered they gave me a brand-new one no questions asked thats 3 pre's i have destroyed
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    at first I thought it was a scratch from when plugging the charger into the usb port but now that "scratch" has extended to my screen and now it looks like a stress fracture.

luckly the crack is heading vertically instead of horizontally
    I got a warranty replacement for the USB crack...and two others since that one for junk refurbs. Sheesh...
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    I have had two replacements direct from Palm Technical Support Corporate Relations 407-531-4496... This is a known issue, and if explained in a calm and appropriate manner to the team member they will replace without question. Some of the fee's can be waived by simply asking them to and the $200 (negotiated from $400) deposit for return assurance gets credited back as soon as they receive the returned defective device...

I am trying to hold out for new hardware before calling to get a third warranty replacement, but it might seem as that is farther off then my third will hold up...

Need new and better hardware ASAP...
    Rattical you rock! That number you have was golden! I've been turned down by MULTIPLE Sprint stores regarding the crack. Saying its my fault and deemed abuse.

Called the number you posted and they are doing an ADVANCED REPLACEMENT for me. No cost. I'm giving them my CC for a $500 hold until they receive the device. I'm cool with that if they are going to get me a new phone. No charge, free shipping both ways.

Thanks!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast