Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    I was wondering why the PALM support didn't give me a problem with replacing my cracked USB port PRE under warranty today, and then I heard the HP news, lol... it must be like Christmas over there at PALM!
    This has been discussed a number of times on the forum previously, but even though sprint doesn't cover this under warrantee, Palm corporate customer service will replace it for you. You put a $400 deposit, they send you a phone, and the deposit goes away once you send your broken phone back. I did it back in Jan on my launch day pre, it was easy. Not sure how the HP acquisition factors into this though...
    just starting to get it on my second pre. they need to recognize this soon!
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aquatichedgehog View Post
    This has been discussed a number of times on the forum previously, but even though sprint doesn't cover this under warrantee, Palm corporate customer service will replace it for you. You put a $400 deposit, they send you a phone, and the deposit goes away once you send your broken phone back. I did it back in Jan on my launch day pre, it was easy. Not sure how the HP acquisition factors into this though...
    They're not charging me $400 for a deposit, and gave me absolutely no hassle unlike other people on here who have gotten the run around.

Plus, it was just a joke
    what is the phone number for the corporate customer service?
    Owing 2 original Palm Pre's since the day it came out I had the USB Port cover fall off, a piece crack and fall out shaped like a triangle right below USB Port and also 2 pieces of metal wire protruding from below the slider when it was opened. I took it to the local Sprint store and they are replacing it free of charge. Maybe having the metal wires sticking out from behind the slider helped. Now I wasn't so lucky with another Pree which also had the USB cover come off, developed a longer crack towards the LCD screen, when receiving or making a call the distant end could hear you but you couldn't hear them and the power button fell off. Even with all these defects I have to go through the insurance company and pay the $100 deductible due to having 2 other cracks on each side at the bottom of the slider and some possible puppy gnaw marks on the side. Although in my opinion the gnaw marks and cracks have nothing to do with the the other defects, the store could not replace it. All in all, 2 replacements phones shipped out for $100. But they did say at the store and over the phone if it wouldn't be for the other physical damage they would have replaced them both for free. I wish the rest of you luck in getting it replaced.
    my phone developed that usb crack this past sunday. I seldom use the usb port unless connected to pc for usb storage. My phone was charging using the touchstone and I freaked out when I saw that crack.

I quickly called sprint customer service and they told me I had to go to a sprint repair store and gave me the closest to my address.

monday morning I was there at 9 am and they said I had to leave my phone for them to check and that the would have an answer within an hour. Since I had to go work I left the phone. I called the store and they told me that because of the crack they would send a replacement the following day at the store.

I was glad they were replacing it.

the next day I got another pre and they activated it.

no hassle whatsoever.

thank you sprint.

I probably was lucky idk...
  8.    #28  
    Damn!!! guys.. so many of you are lucky to get the free replacement. I wish I could get my $100 back
    About 2 months ago I was able to get a refurb replacement swapped at no cost for my original Pre after it cracked near the USB port.

Just last week the replacement Pre developed 2 cracks near the port...after a couple of hours of wheeling and dealing, being nice and extremely patient I was able to get a new BlackBerry 8530 as a replacement...

I love the idea of webOS, and Preware is fun and all the guys who develop it are great but I couldnt handle the hardware issues any longer.

I guess the Pre isnt for me.
    Just noticed a small crack near the usb door on my pre today
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Today I noticed a crack on the screen itself in the shape of a Y. I went in to our local sprint store and they are sending a replacement free of charge that should arrive on Monday. I do have Sprint insurance that I pay monthly for. Maybe they will only replace it free if it causes issues with the screen?
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xwhizx View Post
    Palm/Sprint should recognize it as a fault in the design, and replace asap. Sprint customers should get Pre Plus to replace Pres.
    same crack here, Second Pre with the problem. First Pre, I waited until it reach across the screen, same Sprint BS, in the end I paid the $100 deductible. But it's happening on my second one. my expeirence as of friday 5/7/10.

So I decided to do online chat with palm about it, explained exactly where it was, only 1/4" long from port opening, and still have usb cover intact.
    There is other damage to my phone from dropping, but it is on top by the headphone port, they then verified that this damage did not cause the port crack, it didn't and proof is because it's on the other side of the phone.
    So what did they say? "Send it right in and we'll fix it under warranty" So I asked is Sprint was aware of this, so i would not be without my device for 2-3 weeks. And They tell me, NO PROBLEM! take it in and sprint will replace it.

Well, after dealing with the Sprint Store last time, I figured I would bypass the store. So I dialed *2, followed automated to get 'other problem with phone'. Explained it to them, and that I talked to Palm, and Palm said that Sprint was aware of this and should replace it no problem.

So what happens, They try to say that's old news and there was a recall for that, Wait... What? Recall? What's this about, I never heard of this, I tell her. Then, I am told it was only the initial release devices. Woo-Hoo! I got 'em in a cornered, why? Because my first Pre was from this so-called initial release, and I never received anything about this. I was on the Wait-List.

Beep-Boop-Beep-Beep

I got transfered to multiple exchange department. Since It's not my original device.

So what do I get from them do you ask? Many apologies, A replacement phone for $0, email notification the following day for the phone shipment, and an account credit for the $100 deductible i had to pay on the initial replacement.

So in short, SPRINT DOES KNOW OF THIS, as well as Palm. And they will replace it because of this, just let them know, that you know, that Palm knows. Now that's alot of KNOW's, i know
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissizit View Post
    same crack here, Second Pre with the problem. First Pre, I waited until it reach across the screen, same Sprint BS, in the end I paid the $100 deductible. But it's happening on my second one. my expeirence as of friday 5/7/10.

So I decided to do online chat with palm about it, explained exactly where it was, only 1/4" long from port opening, and still have usb cover intact.
    There is other damage to my phone from dropping, but it is on top by the headphone port, they then verified that this damage did not cause the port crack, it didn't and proof is because it's on the other side of the phone.
    So what did they say? "Send it right in and we'll fix it under warranty" So I asked is Sprint was aware of this, so i would not be without my device for 2-3 weeks. And They tell me, NO PROBLEM! take it in and sprint will replace it.

Well, after dealing with the Sprint Store last time, I figured I would bypass the store. So I dialed *2, followed automated to get 'other problem with phone'. Explained it to them, and that I talked to Palm, and Palm said that Sprint was aware of this and should replace it no problem.

So what happens, They try to say that's old news and there was a recall for that, Wait... What? Recall? What's this about, I never heard of this, I tell her. Then, I am told it was only the initial release devices. Woo-Hoo! I got 'em in a cornered, why? Because my first Pre was from this so-called initial release, and I never received anything about this. I was on the Wait-List.

Beep-Boop-Beep-Beep

I got transfered to multiple exchange department. Since It's not my original device.

So what do I get from them do you ask? Many apologies, A replacement phone for $0, email notification the following day for the phone shipment, and an account credit for the $100 deductible i had to pay on the initial replacement.

So in short, SPRINT DOES KNOW OF THIS, as well as Palm. And they will replace it because of this, just let them know, that you know, that Palm knows. Now that's alot of KNOW's, i know
    Glad your experience turned out better than mine. Tech support refused to do anything for me. Then I tried the store, which was a waste of time. The store manager was belligerent, accusing me of causing the physical damage.
    Last edited by sheltem; 05/10/2010 at 04:16 PM.
    R.I.P. Windows Mobile (2002 - 2009)

HP Jornada 568 -> HP Ipaq 2215 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Tmobile SDA -> Qtek 8500 (HTC STRTrk) -> Motorola Q -> Sprint Mogul -> Sprint Touch -> Sprint Touch Diamond -> Sprint Touch Pro
    Been missing my USB cover for quite some time, and just now starting to get a very small crack. Hopefully it will stay small.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I posted before about having a small crack just starting by the USB port. It has now grown. It started off toward the screen. Just before it hit the screen, it started moving down beside it. Now it's about 1.5" total in length and about a hair's width away from the screen. I've already backed everything up on it and will try to get to Verizon this weekend to see about replacing it. I do have insurance but don't want to pay for it if it's a known issue. I haven't dropped it and other that a few scratches on the screen, there's nothing else wrong with it physically.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    So, went into the local verizon store today. Showed the tech the crack at the usb port. Told him that it's a known problem but when he looked on his computer he couldn't find anything stating that it was an issue. hHe looked over my phone and it was very obvious that i'd never dropped it. Told me he'd have a replacement sent right out. Should have it in two days. Kinda nervous about getting something that has other issues. Other than the crack and some occasional typing mishaps this one's been great. I'll post back when I find out the condition of the replacement phone...
    I, too, have the USB crack.

I just stopped my local Sprint repair center and one of the techs said he could order me a new one and it would arrive in 2 days. It sounded like this was a known issue. He stated that they could tell the difference between an impact crack (not covered by warranty) and a surface crack (covered by warranty). You have up to a year from when you purchased your phone to get it replaced under warranty. I do not have the insurance, so this is covered under the actual manufacturer's warranty. I opted to wait to replace my phone until the cracks get worse, they really don't bother me too much right now.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    I also have the USB crack, and lost the door a number of months back. I had called in to Tech support and they were quite helpful, ordering me a refurb with no issues. An hour later they called back and told me the system had flagged my phone as damaged, and I would need to bring it in to s repair center for closer examination. I finally did this AM, & my replacement refurb will be in tomorrow. I'll cross my fingers for a good one.
    just following up on some of you guys- i assume you got your replacements... new, refurb? i went to sprint today and altho he balked at first to replace it he gave in - after only slight questioning by me! he said i may get the new phone as quickly as tomorrow.
    We have 3 Sprint launch day Pres in our family and now after almost a year there are still no cracks in the screens by the USB ports.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast