1.    #1  
    webOSers,
    Just wanted to share my experience with you all on my recent Cruise trip to Bermuda with my Palm Pre. It was Awesome..

One week before I left for the cruise, I called Sprint customer service to inquire about my visit to Bermuda and check the prices for international data roaming. The customer rep told me that data roaming is $40/month and $4/month for international roaming with $0.69/min voice and is prorated, so if I use it for 5 days and cancel it, I will be charged for only 5 days.

Considering the high internet charges in the Cruise (Royal Caribbean), I decided to activate my international roaming (voice + data) for the duration of my cruise trip.

After we left Cape Liberty (NJ), after few hours I was having full roaming signals in the ship (but no data as RC blocks data services in the ship). So I knew that atleast the phone will work if there is any emergency.

Once we reached bermuda, I got 1x data speed with Bermuda's local carrier and voice roaming.

Thanks to YouView app, I was able to listen to all my voice mails from within the phone without having to use my voice roaming.

I had also installed the "MyTether" app before I left for the cruise knowing that I would be able to surf on my laptop using Palm Pre. Sure enough, I hooked up my ASUS EEE PC, turned on MyTether on Palm Pre, enabled Wi-Fi tethering and voila.. my laptop was connected to the internet.

People on the cruise were really surprised and asked me how I am using internet on my laptop and I was like.. "Palm pre baby!!!" There are things that Palm Pre can do but iPhone can't. :-)

It was all worth it and that too without getting a big dent into my bill. Sprint + Palm Pre --- Best combination you can ever get in USA.
    This was really helpful to me since I'm leaving for Bermuda on Wednesday, but I can't find the MyTether app. Was it removed or is it under another name now?

cheers,
    ric
    Quote Originally Posted by profcrabbe View Post
    This was really helpful to me since I'm leaving for Bermuda on Wednesday, but I can't find the MyTether app. Was it removed or is it under another name now?

cheers,
    ric

It's found here....

My Tether

And there is setup you need to do...
    you didn't disappear?!?!?! i had to
    so was it $40/unlimited data roaming international?

I'm a bit confused of the international data rates
    Will my tether work with a 1x signal as well or does it have to be Evdo
    1x tether works
    That is great to hear.. Might be better and cheaper than buying a wireless aircard
    For those who don't wanna pay $15 for My Thether you can use Freethether for free

you'll need Mobile Hot Spot. You can get it here ( Hotspotfunktion fuer das PalmPre (WebOS 1.4.0) - my curious life ) it's in German, just click on (WebOS 1.4.0 HotSpot App )

you'll also need Freetether (2 files)

http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-....0.3_armv7.ipk

http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-..._0.0.1_all.ipk

Now that you have all 3 files, install them using WebOSQuickInstall
    rest your phone.

After the rest You'll need to enable IPFORWARDING in freetether and you're good to go

the rest is pretty straightforward
    Last edited by neo1980; 06/15/2010 at 11:48 PM.