1.    #1  
    When AT&T announced that they were going to carry the Pre Plus I was happy, but now with all the dooms day predictions for Palm floating around I am left wondering if I should even be considering it. Looking at AT&Ts options I am left annoyed. I had an IPhone, but eventually could not take the virtual keyboard, so bought a Motorola Q for cheap off ebay in hopes to tide me over until I could get a new phone when I am upgrade eligible come June. The Pre Plus appears like it would fill my needs perfectly, but now I just don't know.
    PRE

Palm won't be going anywhere, if they do it won't be for a while and the life of the phone and contract will outweigh it

That being said, to pre it is in my opinion.

All this doomsday nonsense is typical media. It's all hype and filtered.
    Don't PRE.

Well not yet, by the time the Palm Pre Plus is on AT&T the whole Pre form factor will be over an year old. So i'll wait a few more months to see what's out. April been a good month for the other companys so far with the announcement of Iphone OS 4 and yesterdays Blackberry OS 6 and no sign of Palm yet. So hopefully soon there will be some good news.IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    pre

palm won't be going anywhere, if they do it won't be for a while and the life of the phone and contract will outweigh it

that being said, to pre it is in my opinion.

All this doomsday nonsense is typical media. It's all hype and filtered.
    +1 , pre
    Go with the Pre! AT&T knows that you will get enough use out of it to fulfill your contract or they wouldn't sell it. It is a great phone and everyone I know that owns one, thinks it is the best phone - OS combination ever.
    I wouldn't worry about palm going anywhere just yet, but I do think they will announce new hardware fairly closely on the heels of the at & t release. Though, as of right now, that is pure speculation.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Don't PRE.

Well not yet, by the time the Palm Pre Plus is on AT&T the whole Pre form factor will be over an year old. So i'll wait a few more months to see what's out. April been a good month for the other companys so far with the announcement of Iphone OS 4 and yesterdays Blackberry OS 6 and no sign of Palm yet. So hopefully soon there will be some good news.IMO
    Form factor? The pre + hardware and internal(s) is capable of doing anything other high end smart phones are capable of for the next 3 plus years, and than some. Besides, it's not like palm is gonna stop updating his version of webOS.

What makes the pre special is webOS. You are going to continue to get the latest updates to make your phone's software ageless. You're not going to miss out on any new features palm is going to implement over the next 3 plus years (We saw this with the implementation of Video recording).

My vote, TO PRE, it's a webOS thang!!!
    To Pre.
    I've had my Pre since the Sprint launch. I'm happy with it still and have no interest in getting anything different.
    You should definitely Pre+

Lots of whining in forums because people are passionate, use advanced features of their phones, and know that people will help them solve their issues by providing workarounds or solutions to whatever they are whining about.

If you look at forums for other phones, you will see the same thing. In some cases not as much because there is no other platform with a more engaged and motivated community than PreCentral has. And because of the WebOS architecture, there is an astounding amount of great developers writing patches, creating new functionality, and expanding the leading edge of what the Pre+ can do.

The leading edge is where all the turbulence is, so it goes with the territory.

No other phone has a more enthusiastic community, no other phone has a forum that brings more value. Along with passion comes strong opinions, and the leading edge has lots of wind, with the occaisional flock of geese bouncing off and being sucked in to the engine...

Most phones are limited in what they can do (most phones couldn't be updated or have new features added once they leave the factory - except smartphones in the last few years...)

So if there is no choice, it wouldn't help to have a forum to complain at. That's why my wife's LG-Touch doesn't have a huge forum and homebrew community - even though it cost more than my Pre+...

Sure, a few trolls will stop by to stir things up, and yes there can be a lot of complaints. Most of the complaints are valid to some users, but not all. You have to diecide if the complaints are around issues that are deal breakers for you.

For me, Palm does calendar, contacts, and desktop sync better than anyone. They have been doing it better than anyone for about 15 years, and it shows. That's all I care about, so everything else is just a bonus. I have to carry a blackberry for work (required - no option and no exception) so I don't care about e-mail. I also have no option but Verizon.

As far as alternatives, The Android phones all REQUIRE that everything go through gmail. That is unacceptable to me. Once I realized that, I crossed that platform completely off my list and I kept my Centro until the Pre+ was available from VZ.

I can't believe ANY company would allow an employee to synch confidential contacts, calendar, and email with ANY cloud service. Not Yahoo, Google, or any of them. But ESPECIALLY not Google, as they have demonstrated a regular habit of doing improper things with user information. Last week there were credit card numbers exposed because of an error on some site that Google indexes. The data they expose through Buzz and Streetview can be very damaging. Unless a company has a very strong Non-Disclosure Agreement in place with Google, I would think they would FORBID their employees from syncing Exchange data with Gmail... My guess is they just haven't realized what Google is actually doing, and how much confidential information is piling up in Gmail accounts that sync with Exchange servers. Sorry for the rant, but that seems to be such a problem with being sucked into the Android platform.

So, Palm does the best job at what I need, doesn't create problems I can't live with, and has the most amazing homebrew community making it better on a daily basis. I think that the only competitor that could catch WebOS (without major architectural changes and by not fighting against the homebrew developers) is BlackBerry, and they won't have next-gen OS and hardware out before 2011 (and their call quality is generally poor).

I'm not saying it's perfect. But I think it is the best choice currently, and it has the potential to do more than iPhone/Android/Win7 for at least the two years of my VZ contract.

Go for it. You have 30 days to change your mind. People tell me that the call quality from my Pre+ is better than any other they talk with, so it also meets the criteria of being a good telephone even if everything else isn't important to a user. It's a good phone.

Then you throw the ability to turn it in to a hotspot (via MyTether for non-Verizon users) and it is the best value going. My bad eyesight would like a slightly larger screen. They keyboard is just about the same as my Centro. I can add an extended battery to get through a day of heavy use...

Still wondering if you should Pre?
    wait for iPhone OS update and go with them!
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Don't PRE.

Form factor is one of the MAJOR attractions for this phone and good form has a way of sticking around for a long time, especially when the beauty isn't just skin deep like with the Pre.

You just keep on a-waitin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by houstonperez View Post
    wait for iPhone OS update and go with them!
    I see this is almost your first post. Why don't you head on over to an Apple forum for your next 12 posts...

they will encourage your tendancy to reject my reality and substitute your own.
  13.    #13  
    Thanks for your replies. With the announcement of HP aquiring Palm, I am feeling a little more confident in taking th Pre plunge. Even if Palm does come out with a new model phone, I don't think I can wait that long before taking the plunge. I figure it will be at lease a year from release before it reaces AT&T, because you know another carrier will get it first, unless AT&T is just looking to tweek Apple a little.