1.    #1  
    Does anyone here know if said patch will update with the option to create a customizable label? I know on my last super dumb phone, I believe I could customize this label and enter my own. I could have this mistaken with the next paragraph.

On another note, my old phone would have a category section under the contact info; I.E., Family, Friends, Work, or whatever you created as a category, etc. This definitely was customizable so you could do a search in your contacts for people put in the "Family" category, for instance, and then anyone who is part of your family would be the only ones that would show up in the search.

Does anyone else here miss that option, or even have had that option on their older phones?

Pea Soup.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    I see it's an old post, and I'm sure this topic has been discussed to death in the general complaints section, but I just had to vent somewhere:

Last week I got my first Palm Pre, and moved all my data from the old Treo, via Palm Desktop, to the new Pre.

Only to discover that all the thousands of my contacts got merged into one huge category! Same with memos... It's completely unmanageable now!

Imagine - I had fourteen years worth of data on Palm. I got my first Palm in 1996. Since then, I never left home without a Palm, then a Palmphone - thousands of contacts, memos... heck, I even write my books on a Palm (well, at least jot down the ideas :-)

All that data was lovingly organized into dozens of categories. Now it's one huge bloody mess, where my wife's cooking receipes are mixed with my company addresses and shopping lists and a listing of all my CDs (close to a thousand of them) and... This is happening both in Contacts and Memos. And in To-Do list. Ah, yes, and all my appointments, so carefully colour-coded, are now all one colour and I can't see at a glance what they are, I need to open each to see whether it's private, or work, or urgent, or what.

I think you get the picture. Unless a patch comes out that restores the CATEGORY function to the phone, I'll regret I ever moved to WebOS. Not that I had any choice, no more PalmOS

PALM, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME???

Marcin
    ditto
    use companionlink or pocket mirror. To migrate contacts.

once on the phone just type the name instead of searching by catefiries. Once you get used to universal search, it will work well.

ude your pc to manage categories.i use outlook for this.
    ps. I agree they should still have categories, but as long as I sync with outlook, I can work around it there. ssame would be true with palm desktop.
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    Does anyone here know if said patch will update with the option to create a customizable label? I know on my last super dumb phone, I believe I could customize this label and enter my own. I could have this mistaken with the next paragraph.

On another note, my old phone would have a category section under the contact info; I.E., Family, Friends, Work, or whatever you created as a category, etc. This definitely was customizable so you could do a search in your contacts for people put in the "Family" category, for instance, and then anyone who is part of your family would be the only ones that would show up in the search.

Does anyone else here miss that option, or even have had that option on their older phones?

Pea Soup.
    I don't know how to make a user defined option but if you let me know the option you want or don't want you can change the patch file to make it fit your needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    use companionlink or pocket mirror. To migrate contacts.

once on the phone just type the name instead of searching by catefiries. Once you get used to universal search, it will work well.

ude your pc to manage categories.i use outlook for this.
    This is a good advice... Once I realized how fast the universal search is (compared with my old Palm Centro), it's not so bad.

Still, it's very disconcerting to see my 15 databases merged into one huge list. I have literaly thousands of contacts there. I often don't remember a specific name... So in the past I would go to relevant category (e.g. Local Restaurants) and browse until I found the one that sounds appealing for this weekend's outing with my wife... Can't do that now. OK, I could, if I entered the word "restaurant" in each record and did a search for "restaurant". It will take hours and hours of work to add such search tags to each of the 2000+ entries, though...

Palm, you really screwed up with this one, you hear?!

Marcin
    if you still have the original data on your pc, that still has the categoty info. Are you synching with your pc, or did you import them in to gmail or another cloud service?

if you continue to sync with your pc, the categories will still be there.
    btw, to find a retaurant, you have free access to google maps, yelp, where, yellow pages, etc.

I find that is faster and more accurate because it's always up to date.

the benefit od a 3g connection and a smartphone that is always on the web. Slight bit of a paradigm shift, but great once you give it a chance.

not perfect, but pretty cool.
    also remember that you can just type initials. So Steve Jobs will show up in universal search by typing S J.

what takes time to get used to is that you rarely open the app first. That's true for contacts, browser, dialer, text messages, wtc. Just start typing.
    if you still have the original data on your pc, that still has the categoty info. Are you synching with your pc, or did you import them in to gmail or another cloud service?

if you continue to sync with your pc, the categories will still be there.
    I still have the data in Palm Desktop 4.1.4 on my PC, except there's no way to synch them directly without 3rd party software like Companionlink, and there's no way to install Companionlink without AppCatalog, and AppCatalog can't be even started if you live in Poland!

If there is a 3rd party s/w that synchs Pre with Palm Desktop 4.1.4, but can be installed via some other way than AppCatalog, I will buy it immediately! Unfortunately, searching homebrew and similiar software on this forum I found nothing of the sort... :-(

Marcin
    i'll bet you could contact companionlink directly and get the app from them...
    i'll bet you could contact companionlink directly and get the app from them...
    That I did. They offered to email me the file that should go into my Palm Pre.

The problem is: how am I going to install it if I can't start App Catalog...?

My Palm is like a PC with nothing but the operating system. Worse - it's like a an Intel PC with nothing but Windows :-) I can't install ANY commercial application. It's as if you were forever limited to using Window Notepad as a word processor, Windows Calculator as a spreadsheet and Windows Paint as graphic software... You want MS Office or Corel Draw? Sorry, mate, you live in the wrong country.

I start regreting the day I moved to PalmOS. Except I had no choice - I would have to do it sooner or later, what with 14 years worth of data in Palm format and no more PalmOS devices... :-(

Marcin
    PS. An update: Companionlink just emailed me with a link. They asked to forward that email to my phone and execute the link. This I did, only to get a message: "This application is not available in your country."

I got a different idea, though:

Next Thursday I'm flying to USA. What if I buy a cheap prepaid card from any US carrier that supports Palm? Can I setup a second Palm profile then, a US-based profile, and install Companionlink while in the States?

The problem is that once I return to Poland and, say, my Palm crashes and I lose all the data, will I be able to restore it...?

Marcin