Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    At the end of next week I'm going to Spain. Obviously my CDMA-based Pre won't work there, but I would like to be able to get calls there when people call my US phone number.

So I called Sprint. They have a deal where they will sell you a Motorola world phone (CDMA/GSM) for $80. That's not so bad, but what IS bad is that it will cost me $1.70 a minute over there!!!

So what else are my options? Has anybody here done this a different way and been pleased with the results?

I suppose the cheapest way would be to call forward my Sprint phone to Skype, then answer later by computer, but it might be nice to have a phone there for local calls which could also get my US calls.

Any advice from folks who have been down this road would be greatly appreciated.
    Buy a local handset e.g. at ebay which can do internet + skype and get yourself a prepaid SIM-card with good internet-rates.

Take a look at this good overview:
    prepaid-wireless-internet-access.wetpaint.com/page/Spain

Some providers offer quite cheap bundles with mobile handset and preloaded SIM-card.

Ulrich
    rememeber all incoming calls are free. I just bought a quad band unlocked motorola flip phone for $40 on ebay(and a new battery for $3 just in case) When i got there i just found a cell shop and bought a local number for 20 Euro. And then i bought "charge" cards at corner cigarette shops(they are everywhere).

Also remember if you take a more advanced gsm phone there.. to turn off 3g and data. it will DESTROY your battery. My blackberry storm lasted about 2 hours on full charge with 3g and about 8 hours with 2g when i was last over there.

Also at home i have vonage so my bill is $35 a month including unlimited calling to Europe.. so you can possibly forward cell to that... then forward your vonage to your international cell(via vonage web site). all for 'free'. Just when you call someone back home... talk for like 2 seconds(.80 cents a min).. and tell them to call your phone back asap, i think there may be a charge for cell phone forwarding but not sure..! lol
    Last edited by antonio3; 04/28/2010 at 07:54 AM.
    Using the service through Sprint on a GSM phone will cost you an arm and a leg...

I used my backup Touch Pro2 while there and it worked, even some of the data. The bill was out of control when I got back (I was expecting this).

By far the most annoying thing was that I could not reply to text messages. It would receive texts but not send...

The local SIM card idea will work better but it is a big hassle and the language barrier might also become an issue.

If you just ant a phone for emergencies and don't plan on using it much, buy a cheap GSM phone on eBay and get the Sprint sim.
    Where are you coming?
  6. jmf
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I am wondering it the Pre can received email and connect to the internet via European wifi without changes or wireless costs?

jmf
    yea, wifi is wifi, works anywyere. keep it in airplane mode and turn on wifi when you have an access point to connect to.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks to all!

I don't have Vonage, so that's not really an option.

Forwarding at Sprint (to a US number) is 10 cents a minute I believe. Is there something I could maybe do with Skype, i.e. forward my Sprint phone to Skype and have Skype connect to whatever phone I end up getting for Spain?
    is there a sky application for the pre?
  10.    #10  
    @deCorvette: I am flying into Madrid where some friends will pick us up in a car and we will drive to Malaga. Will be seeing as much of Andalucia as possible in 8 days. We will also be a night in Toledo.

@ucyrus: Thanks for the link, very helpful. You said "Some providers offer quite cheap bundles with mobile handset and preloaded SIM-card." I suppose you won't find the cheap ones at the Madrid airport, right? Also, do you know the names of any of these providers?

I suppose my biggest question though is: How do I forward my Sprint phone to an overseas GSM phone without paying a small fortune to Sprint?
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    maybe try to pick up a BB Tour and a prepaid SIM. Then sell the Tour when you get back?
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jelks View Post
    I suppose my biggest question though is: How do I forward my Sprint phone to an overseas GSM phone without paying a small fortune to Sprint?
    So, what you do is get a US Skype-In number.

You get a Spain local pre-paid GSM phone. Buy a cheap handset, get a cheap SIM and some minutes from a corner market.

You then, forward your Skype calls to your Spain phone. Call forwarding with Skype – Never miss a Skype call again

Doing the above will get your people in the states a US number to call that will ring to your Spanish phone.

Now you could go about forwarding your Sprint number to the Skype-In phone number, but it may be simpler to just set your VM message to say that for this time period call this number..

EDIT: Now granted, none of this will be free, it will be cheaper than using the sprint provided phone method. The Skype-In number costs something, and the Skype call forwarding costs something. And Skype minutes, those cost something. As well as the local handset/number/minutes..
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    what if the spanish cellular service companies allowed using a portable wifi device like the Sprint MiFi, except it was a GSM device that accepted pay as you go sim cards with data and voice options. Then, what if Skype mobile was available on the Pre. That would allow travelers to not miss a bit and keep using their cellular device of choice as long as it has wifi.
    Quote Originally Posted by jelks View Post
    At the end of next week I'm going to Spain. Obviously my CDMA-based Pre won't work there, but I would like to be able to get calls there when people call my US phone number.

So I called Sprint. They have a deal where they will sell you a Motorola world phone (CDMA/GSM) for $80. That's not so bad, but what IS bad is that it will cost me $1.70 a minute over there!!!

So what else are my options? Has anybody here done this a different way and been pleased with the results?

I suppose the cheapest way would be to call forward my Sprint phone to Skype, then answer later by computer, but it might be nice to have a phone there for local calls which could also get my US calls.

Any advice from folks who have been down this road would be greatly appreciated.

I can not post links to websites yet, but here is what I did (and I hope I don't get the mods mad, so I apologize in advance).

I bought a GSM phone for $25 on a Police auction website. Then I googled Ukraine sim cards and I bought a sim card from Cellular Abroad for $49, which included some air time. On that website, there is a section where you can buy just phones or "packages" with sim cards and travel chargers. Make sure you pick up a travel charger too, they are priced as low as $10.

When you get to your destination, buy more air time. Give your phone number to the people you want to talk with while in Europe so that you don't miss anything important.

I would buy the sim card from Cellular Abroad because it worked for me. Going cheap is not always the best way to go. BTW, the phone I bought was a Motorola V180 that was refurbished. Not the best phone out there, but I never had a problem with it. I was also able to call from Switzerland to Ukraine with the Ukraine sim card.

I hope this helps.
    Skype can be used with Palm Pre using IM+ (never tested it, yet).
    If you do not have to be reachable all the time, you can use Wifi hotspots to check your Mailbox and do the phonecalls with IM+.

Hopefully, with HP supporting WebOS, Skype and SIP clients will be programmed for WebOS - and a navigation software too - that would be fantastic.

I'm not that familiar with Spanish, only found a "thephonehouse.es" who have shops in Spain.

Have a nice journey and a safe return,
    ucyrus
    Some countries have both GSM and CDMA. I don't know where you are going, but when I was in Israel 5 years ago, I had 5 bars everywhere on my old Sprint phone (CDMA only). I could receive phone calls as well, but never tried to make a call.
    Anyone have any experience regarding this in Scotland & Ireland? I may be heading over there later this year and would be nice to know what I'll need to do. Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Hey jelks, my name is BJ DeHut and I am representing Sprint online as their SprintCareGuide. We actually have a lot of this information available on our website, there are also various ways to contact International Support for quick answers, check it out here: International Wireless Service – From Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by ucyrus View Post
    Skype can be used with Palm Pre using IM+ (never tested it, yet).
    If you do not have to be reachable all the time, you can use Wifi hotspots to check your Mailbox and do the phonecalls with IM+.

Hopefully, with HP supporting WebOS, Skype and SIP clients will be programmed for WebOS - and a navigation software too - that would be fantastic.

I'm not that familiar with Spanish, only found a "thephonehouse.es" who have shops in Spain.

Have a nice journey and a safe return,
    ucyrus
    What is IM+ ?
    Laissez Faire
    What about getting a free google voice number and then giving that number to your friends here in the US. Once you get a local Spanish number set up GV to forward all calls to that phone. Not sure if GV will forward to international numbers. I'm sure someone here can clear that up.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast