Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    We didn't pick up the old webOS 1.4.0 kernel inside SPK because we expected it would cause problems like it has now with the Verizon keyboard, and the packaging of it didn't meet the requirements of the 7 principles of kernel design and packaging at http://bit.ly/next-gen-kernels.

A simple technical decision.

-- Rod
    question abbout performance. Is the launcher going to scroll smoother if I have more pages with fewer icons?

I'm running the 800mhz kernel and scrolling is starting to feel laggy. Is it possible that it's connected to having really long pages?
    holy crap. Am I reading correctly that all the double typing was caused by the 800mhz kernel? How is that possible if that was a 1.4 problem that was fixed in 1.4.1.1 from VZ?

if the 800mhz kernel was based on 1.4, how did it cause vz problems by using the 1.4.1 kernel that wasn't out verizon yet. I am soooo lost and confused by all the nasty posting.

I had vz replace my phone ecause of the keyboard. They said it was a hardware problem.

huh?
    It seems (not sure it's convincing evidence yet), that the 1.4.1.1. update from Verizon fixed most of the double typing problems. Apparently, the SPK is using the 1.4 kernel and it might be cancelling out the improvements made in the 1.4.1.1 kernel for VZW. People with the double typing and the 800 SPK should uninstall it and see if that corrects the problem. If it does, they should install the Uber-Kernel (if they want to overclock), which uses the 1.4.1.1 kernel and see if the double typing returns and report back so we can get some more evidence about this.
    ok, so I am using the kernel from the current super prek in preware. I installed it after the 1.4.1.1 update last week. My keyboard is working fine.

does that help?

is there another kernel in preware that I should try?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    ok, so I am using the kernel from the current super prek in preware. I installed it after the 1.4.1.1 update last week. My keyboard is working fine.

does that help?

is there anotjer kernel in preware that I should try?
    Nah, you should keep what you've got. I think that there is evidence that the keyboard problems are a combination of hardware and software and the 1.4.1.1 fixed most of the software problems. As far as the 800 kernels, they both give basically the same performance boost. A few different features with each one.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Is it or is it not the case that the underlying kernel binary in the latest version of SuperPreKernel is the same webOS 1.4.0 kernel binary that Marco built back in March?

"cat /proc/version" and the md5sum of the uImage file says that it is.

It's great that the packaging and installation of that kernel has been made so much easier by the SuperPreKernel app, but the underlying kernel binary is the same, is it not?

-- Rod
    If it's the same, why did you build another one? I am getting confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    It seems (not sure it's convincing evidence yet), that the 1.4.1.1. update from Verizon fixed most of the double typing problems. Apparently, the SPK is using the 1.4 kernel and it might be cancelling out the improvements made in the 1.4.1.1 kernel for VZW. People with the double typing and the 800 SPK should uninstall it and see if that corrects the problem. If it does, they should install the Uber-Kernel (if they want to overclock), which uses the 1.4.1.1 kernel and see if the double typing returns and report back so we can get some more evidence about this.
    We've just had positive confirmation from Palm in the #webos IRC channel that the webOS 1.4.1 kernel source contains a change in the keyboard driver which addresses that problem. The change is one of the things that makes the 1.4.1 kernel different from the 1.4.0 kernel.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Let's please keep this thread from going off the rails. Looks like things have simmered down a bit, lets keep it that way please.
    Where can i download the 2nd generation Super PreKernel IPK files? The following link shows the files are not public anymore...

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ial-video.html

Please help. Thanks.
    Super Kernel ROCKED. It is the only one i did NOT have a problem with. How i had to docter my phone because of one of the others. where can we get the SUPER KERNEL!!!!!!1
    I agree, my PRE was buggy with the others
    Quote Originally Posted by buddytammy View Post
    Super Kernel ROCKED. It is the only one i did NOT have a problem with. How i had to docter my phone because of one of the others. where can we get the SUPER KERNEL!!!!!!1
  13.    #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Let's please keep this thread from going off the rails. Looks like things have simmered down a bit, lets keep it that way please.
    Dieter, thanks for popping in. There is a lot of great discussion to be had concerning kernel development but Caj2008 asked that I request this thread to be closed.

So out of respect for that request, please close this thread.

For those who wish to continue kernel development discussion, please start a new thread. This one has run its course.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Dieter, thanks for popping in. There is a lot of great discussion to be had concerning kernel development but Caj2008 asked that I request this thread to be closed.

So out of respect for that request, please close this thread.

For those who wish to continue kernel development discussion, please start a new thread. This one has run its course.

Thanks.
    Agreed.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 05/02/2010 at 02:47 AM.
    I too think that caj2008 is a good man with good intentions.

And it is true that any person can create a www.cajware.org site and replicate absolutely anything that WebOS Internals has done - our open source nature ensures that is always the case.

-- Rod
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 05/03/2010 at 01:53 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    We don't read every thread.
    Posting in a thread that it should be closed won't likely get our attention. It wasn't until the thread was reported that we knew you guys wanted it closed.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345