Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Note that the Super Pre Kernel includes a webOS 1.4.0 kernel, not the latest webOS 1.4.1 or webOS 1.4.1.1 kernel - this could possibly explain this behaviour.

Can you revert back to the Palm kernel and then back to the Super Pre Kernel at least twice in a row, rebooting each time and doing nothing else to the phone, to verify that this is the cause?

-- Rod
    Rod, I did what you suggested. It would appear (I only sent like 4 textes) that the double space issue isn't occurring now that I uninstalled the Super Kernel and then re-installed it. Jury is still out. If the problem starts up again, I'll let you know. I really like this app.

ET
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by Heclaboy82 View Post
    how do I inster uber kernel. I like the fact that it is based of the current 1.4.1.1

You will need to go to the Uber Kernel thread (use the search to find it) and add the WebOS Internals test feeds. Then you can install it using Preware.
    Last edited by pastorrich1; 04/30/2010 at 09:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Rod, I did what you suggested. It would appear (I only sent like 4 textes) that the double space issue isn't occurring now that I uninstalled the Super Kernel and then re-installed it. Jury is still out. If the problem starts up again, I'll let you know. I really like this app.
    Good to hear that it's not repeatable, as that would be a real problem for a lot of people if it was.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Just downloaded from thread. Links are active (read caj2008 last post it is interesting) Glad because that version is more stable from alpha people testers (seems like they removed alot of code in uber 1.41 version might be necessary for stability or that Uber tried to do too much with that govnah thing added mucking up phone.

Only reason navinag is 600 is he needs to install new version which fixed that.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ujsc View Post
    Just downloaded from thread. Links are active (read caj2008 last post it is interesting) Glad because that version is more stable from alpha people testers (seems like they removed alot of code in uber 1.41 version might be necessary for stability or that Uber tried to do too much with that govnah thing added mucking up phone.

Only reason navinag is 600 is he needs to install new version which fixed that.
    So i was caught between superkernel versions?.. I suspected that but was not sure...because I went back to uber kernel an it was able to scale to 800. I am mostly happy with uber kernel but wanted to she what if there is any difference that people claim between super kernel and uber kerenel. From a technical standpoint....it does not make sense to me why there would be any difference if the underlining kernels are the same(or at least that is what were are led to believe).
    Quote Originally Posted by pre tooley View Post
    i dont know if its me, however i was able to get into the settings on my pre. Go into the phone app, enter ##debug# ull see RF MODE i tapped on this and was able to but my pre to 1900 mhz. Can anyone tell me why that is? Ive been using it 2 months now n its great. Just thought id share the information
    RF is Radio Frequency.. that is the frequency that CDMA uses. It has to do with your phone, not the speed the hardware is running at.
    Ive been running this for a week now and it's smiple amazing....

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Quote Originally Posted by ujsc View Post
    That's an interesting couple of assertions you are making there. Since you asked, perhaps it's time for the facts of the matter to be reported. I have previously refrained from reporting these facts out of respect for the work that caj2008 has done (as some may incorrectly misinterpret the objective technical facts below as a negative commentary on the excellent work that caj2008 has done in deploying and supporting the first generation of overclocking solution), but you have crossed the line of starting to spread outright misinformation which needs to be corrected.

1) The kernel in the SuperPreKernel was built in March by Marco (unixpsycho), and has not been updated since. It is based on the webOS 1.4.0 kernel source code from Palm (as that is all that was available from Palm at that time), not the latest webOS 1.4.1(.1) source code from Palm which matches what is running on 1.4.1(.1) phones. You can verify this yourself by running "cat /proc/version" on a device running that kernel and looking at the build host and date.

2) The reason why the SuperPreKernel still contains a webOS 1.4.0 kernel is because the maintainers of that package have not updated the kernel from the webOS 1.4.1 source code from Palm, and have not accepted any offers to incorporate an updated kernel (e.g. the GPL Uber-Kernel) built by other people into the SuperPreKernel package. It is also notable that the kernel in the SuperPreKernel package does not include the internal CPU temperature patch, because it is a webOS 1.4.0 kernel which has not been updated at all since March (over a month ago).

3) There are many source code level changes from the Palm webOS 1.4.0 kernel to the Palm webOS 1.4.1 kernel. It seems that the changes are not enough to stop a webOS 1.4.0 kernel from working with the rest of the webOS 1.4.1 operating system (this is normal in Linux, as the kernel interfaces are well defined and stable), but they are significant changes nonetheless. Note that the changes were not evident before Palm released the webOS 1.4.1 source code, and are not likely to have any impact on overclocking performance in any way, but rather affect other things like the virtual memory subsystem code.

4) The Uber-Kernel and the Govnah application are two separate items. You can use the Uber-Kernel with the CPUScalerUltimate application and service. You can use the Govnah application and service with the SuperPreKernel if you wish (although you won't have access to the other standard governor choices or the internal CPU temperature sensor). Both use open standard Linux cpufreq control interfaces, to allow exactly the mix-and-match of solutions that users will need to be able to find an overclocking solution which best meets their need and the particular characteristics of their device.

5) The overclocking performance of a correctly installed and configured SuperPreKernel and a correctly installed and configured Uber-Kernel will be identical on any particular device. See http://forums.precentral.net/showpost.php?p=2412077 for the details on how the two kernels are identical in most areas.

6) Different devices will behave differently when operated outside of the guaranteed specification limits. It is not possible to take a result from one device and expect that a second device will show the same result. To do so is to not recognise the variation in the manufacturing process, the tolerances of other components in the phone, and the speed binning process employed by SoC vendors.

Regarding your reference to caj2008's last message, you will note that the above 6 points are objective technical fact, stated unemotionally, and not disparaging any of the various overclocking solutions in any way, as opposed to the two unsubstantiated assertions that are contained in your post. I'll leave the reader to determine which might be the cause of disharmony in the community.

People should use the overclocking solution that they feel most comfortable with, and should not try and convince other people that one solution is better than another. They should present the objective technical facts without added opinion, and let the reader decide for themselves which solution is right for them. And they should do it in an unemotional and nonpersonal manner - it's a smartphone overclocking solution, not a religion.

I personally hope that the developers of the Super Pre Kernel will update its embedded kernel to use the webOS 1.4.1 source code, apply the open source internal CPU temperature patch, and release an even better solution for the community to be able to choose as their overclocking solution. Multiple solutions and choices are good for the community - just look at the example of WOSQI and Preware. The key thing is that the solutions should have an open architecture and be interoperable.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 04/30/2010 at 05:13 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I have yet to find a link to either 720 or 800 -- and I miss them since having to doctor my pre today.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    The new SPK version is error free not the older 1.4.1 and 1.4.2. Sorry if you got caught up in it! Rod back off please on the users and let then decide objectively. I cant believe you responded to my post. I closed the thread because of your defensiveness about your kernel empire. It (bullying) was disrupting to the forum. With the 1Ghz processor around the forum, I just dont think it is worth the trouble especially with the stability data acquired from >27000 downloads on multiple OS's (real data!!). Only proof I need.

Other issue: Test kernels yourself and report like alpha testers did. Many used 500-800MHz cpu scaling with SPK and report a difference. Do the same with Uber and let everyone know what you find. That is the objective and unemotional scientific thing to do.

Take Care
    I mainly use Preware to install my apps. It seems that the feed in preware has the 1.4.2 SPK version which does not work. it says that it installs the 800mhz kernel but the "time in state" only displays up to 600mhs in cpuScalarUltimate. Uber kernel through preware works fine and scales to 800. I noticed the download link fos SPK in the SPK thread. I will try those when i get a chance since the preware feed version does not work.

"http://www.l337tech.com/webos/apps/" SPK does not work
    I for one am very disappointed at all this crap being thrown at caj2008. Trolling and the constant attacks on the SPK has become childish to the point of being ridiculous!
    What Caj has done is amazing and that is what should be noted! Enough said for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by djrider View Post
    What Caj has done is amazing and that is what should be noted! Enough said for me.
    I've been purposely avoiding posting on the matter; let people decide; to each their own, and such.

Just wanna clarify that SuperPreKernel, was an effort of several people:
    1. The custom kernel was done unixpsycho
    2. The app and service were done by number1pete
    3. I modified the service for bugfixing and helped with packaging
    4. Caj2008 added his own icon, did methodical user testing, user guides, and promotional video, and came up with the original concept
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 05/01/2010 at 03:14 PM.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    I've been purposely avoiding posting on the matter; let people decide; to each their own, and such.

Just wanna clarify that SuperPreKernel, was an effort of several people:
    1. The custom kernel was done unixpsycho
    2. The app and service were done by number1pete
    3. I modified the service for bugfixing and helped with packaging
    4. Caj2008 added his own icon, did methodical user testing, user guides, and promotional video
    I do understand that and have donated and thanked all in previous posts. I wish to thank you all again as I use the SPK and CPU Scaler everyday and it makes my experience with the Pre a much better one.

Thanks guys to all who put their time into this.
    I'm sure I speak for many who will say that we appreciate the effort you both have done in regards to overclocking and getting the most out of our Pre's. I used caj's kernels almost from the time they came out and was very satisfied. Now, with 1.4.1.1 being release for Verizon, is seems that the updated kernal does in fact, stop the double-typing. ( http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...1-1-1-a-2.html ) Since apparently, the SPK is not using the 1.4.1.1 kernal, I was still getting double-typing issues. I tried uninstalling it and got no such errors. I installed Uber-kernel and still have no double-typing errors. So, for now, I will have to use Uber-Kernal.

Again though, I appreciate both team's efforts on this overclocking project.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I installed SuperPre kernel (Verizon) after upgrading to WebOS 1.4.1.1 and run it at 800MHz, and the delay/doubled letters problem is still there for me. But I cannot say the SuperPre kernel is to blame as I have not done any scientific evaluation. I just mention it to support GAPOST's claim. thorne
    Check the other thread...the current Super Pre Kernel has caused the double typing to come back for users, and go away when the kernel is uninstalled. It would appear that the kernel is where the keyboard code in question is located, hence, Super Pre Kernel has the older 1.4.0 and, therefore, the double typing issue that kernel had.

I hope SPK gets updated because it was a very nice simple to use package, allowing me to quickly (other than the slow reboots that the Pre has) change clock speed. I will probably switch to the Uber Kernel unless SPK gets updated soon.
    can I uninstall super pre kernel using preware, or do I have to go back to webos quick install to remove it
    Quote Originally Posted by Heclaboy82 View Post
    can I uninstall super pre kernel using preware, or do I have to go back to webos quick install to remove it
    If by "uninstall" you mean to return to normal speed, just go into SuperPreKernel and return to default 500MHz.

To uninstall SuperPreKernel itself, it should appear in Preware fine

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

Hi,

i checked now via ssh and the cpu drops correctly to 500 when power button was pressed. But i have notice when the pre hits 20% battery and the screens dims it drops to 500. Only if settings are saved again cpu goes up to 800. So something is wrong when screen is dimming, or is this by design?
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    Caj, Please I am asking you on behalf of the 20 odd thousand people that use your kernal to carry on your great work, independent of this community where you can work with jason and or anyone who wishes to help you.
    Not trying to bring anyone down or anything, but it's not gonna happen.

Before I continue, I need to stress the following is not meant to diminish Caj2008's contributions to the project. He's done extremely amazing testing product promotion and came up with the original concept. Ultimately he's one of the larger reasons for its quick public adoption.

As stated in my previous post, Caj2008 wasn't one of the programmers on the project.
    • The custom kernel was coded by Unixpsycho and he has since moved on to working on UberKernel with others knowledgeable in the field
    • The SuperPreKernel application and custom service were coded by Number1pete and he's since moved on to other project (I believe).
    • And I only did minor bugfixes/packaging stuff, and as most people are aware, am busy with many other projects.

Putting it frankly, that's 0 programmers are left on Super Pre Kernel (as far as I know). Given a lot of people may be unaware of that detail, I felt it need to be said.

This is why it's unrealistic to ask Caj to continue the project; it's simply beyond his scope. That's also why I get annoyed at people complaining at Caj2008 for not adding the CPU temperature feature; he wouldn't know where to start.
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 05/01/2010 at 06:05 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast