Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Giving this a try! Easy enough with the app.
    thanks!
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I fully believe Pastorrich's reports that he is getting better performance now than what he did before.

My question is what is the technical rationale for that, given that the kernel binary is identical to before?

It's a simple question to you (or anyone else) about what you think the underlying technical mechanism is for the reported performance increase. Do you have an answer? Does anyone else have an answer?

-- Rod
    Thanks for the question Rod. It is definitely a valid one and one that I don't have an answer for.

Without scientific measurements, any increase in performance is perceived.

In my case it may be a combination of factors that existed while running the various packages. For example, fixed 800 vs. scaling, scaling Caj's earlier kernel with Pete's scaler, then switching to Govnah, then switching to Uber Kernel and scaling with both Govnah and then trying with CPU Scaler. Then realzing that leaving Govnah open causes some issues.... etc.

I did Dr. and ran UK with (at first) then without Govnah for a few days before installing and testing Caj's new SPK.

I definitely perceive a snappier response, but don't have any way to measure it. It has also been very stable, with less luna restarts than I have had in the past with other kernels.

So if there is any way I can help, just let me know. I don't have a dog in this hunt except that I want the best possible solutions out there for the community and I want them to be as user friendly as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Thanks for the question Rod. It is definitely a valid one and one that I don't have an answer for.
    I want the best possible solutions out there for the community and I want them to be as user friendly as possible.
    I think that is a sentiment that we can all agree with

-- Rod
    Okay, removed 800 kernel before installing 1.4.1, installed 1.4.1, then both spk files, launched app. It says that a custom kernel is already on my phone with opt to uninstall cust kernel under 800 kernel button. Does that mean my other 800 kernel never uninstalled? Should i uninstall it and then install again or leave alone?
    VZW Palm Pre 2 2.1
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by 3109278787 View Post
    Okay, removed 800 kernel before installing 1.4.1, installed 1.4.1, then both spk files, launched app. It says that a custom kernel is already on my phone with opt to uninstall cust kernel under 800 kernel button. Does that mean my other 800 kernel never uninstalled? Should i uninstall it and then install again or leave alone?
    Yes, uninstall like it says, then when it restarts install the kernel of your choice from SPK.
    I'm comfortable with any mod that is compatable with my pre. (:-)
    Ok, I'm a virgin kernel user. Just installed this. So far, I like.

ET
    This was super easy to install and use. I looked through this post but didn't see anything about restarts.

Does the speed persist through restarts, or do you need to uninstall and install again after a restart?

Thanks!
    i dont know if its me, however i was able to get into the settings on my pre. Go into the phone app, enter ##debug# ull see RF MODE i tapped on this and was able to but my pre to 1900 mhz. Can anyone tell me why that is? Ive been using it 2 months now n its great. Just thought id share the information
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Just tried to install 800mjz through super kernel...I cant go any higher than 600mhz. I have use all the other 800mhz kernel and they worked fine.....I then uninstalled it and went back to uber kernel and now all works again. Suggestions...
    I just installed it and it works great on the first install.!!!!!
    y dont the super pre kernal downloads work anymore?
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Upgraded (Verizon) to 1.4.1.1 yesterday. It appeared the double letter issue was corrected with the upgrade (yayyy!!) Yet. after installing the Super Kernel the double lettering returned. Anyone else?

ET
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Upgraded (Verizon) to 1.4.1.1 yesterday. It appeared the double letter issue was corrected with the upgrade (yayyy!!) Yet. after installing the Super Kernel the double lettering returned. Anyone else?
    Note that the Super Pre Kernel includes a webOS 1.4.0 kernel, not the latest webOS 1.4.1 or webOS 1.4.1.1 kernel - this could possibly explain this behaviour.

Can you revert back to the Palm kernel and then back to the Super Pre Kernel at least twice in a row, rebooting each time and doing nothing else to the phone, to verify that this is the cause?

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 04/30/2010 at 07:34 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Question about upgrade to 1.41, I completed the install this morning and I then reinstalled super Pre kernal and all I get out of it after checking the 800 setting is 597. , am I missing something as I will try to delete this through Quick install and reinstall it again?

Should I use the preware version or an older version from Caj when I had 1.40 ?

I have been trying to use the version before the update from Verizon.
  17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by lem855 View Post
    Question about upgrade to 1.41, I completed the install this morning and I then reinstalled super Pre kernal and all I get out of it after checking the 800 setting is 597. , am I missing something as I will try to delete this through Quick install and reinstall it again?

Should I use the preware version or an older version from Caj when I had 1.40 ?

I have been trying to use the version before the update from Verizon.
    After reading a few of these posts I went over to the SPK parent thread which I found has been closed at the request of the OP. Based on what Caj said I am unsure if the links work any longer. I would check, but they are blocked from my place of business. So.... if someone else would like to verify, please do and post your findings here.

If the links are dead then anyone who isn't already running at 800 can use Uber Kernel from WebOS Internals. The stick on restart should be the only thing you loose, and you will gain the cpu temp capability to view from Govnah.

Thanks!
    After reading a few of these posts I went over to the SPK parent thread which I found has been closed at the request of the OP. Based on what Caj said I am unsure if the links work any longer. I would check, but they are blocked from my place of business. So.... if someone else would like to verify, please do and post your findings here.

If the links are dead then anyone who isn't already running at 800 can use Uber Kernel from WebOS Internals. The stick on restart should be the only thing you loose, and you will gain the cpu temp capability to view from Govnah.
    If indeed the links are now dead, then since the Linux kernel is GPL, anyone who has a copy of the SPK has the right to redistribute it (especially if the maintainer has orphaned it). It would of course be polite to ask the current maintainer first, but the legal means for someone else to continue to support it exist due to the GPL open source license.

I would hope that a new maintainer would upgrade the kernel source from webOS 1.4.0 to webOS 1.4.1(.1) and include the internal CPU temperature patch ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I just installed super prekernel this morning at 9:40am est or so and the links downloaded the files and everything is running smoothly

Thanks!
    how do I inster uber kernel. I like the fact that it is based of the current 1.4.1.1
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast