Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by stillryn View Post
    I saw your post about the fast kernel and i want to try. i ahve installed some homebrew apps, so i'm not new to this. I just found out i need preware and package manager but when i go into web os quick install nothing happens when i click on the blue arrow button to download preware. I can't figure it out at all so now i'm down to asking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, the phone is in dev mode and shows up in webos quick intall.
    You click the blue arrow then use the drop down box at the top to select the WebOS internals all or Pre feed (don't remember which and am not home to look). Find the package manager service and preware, click the check box for each then click download. Once that is done click close and you should see both packages in your install window. Make sure the package manager service is first (on top) in the window, then click install.

That should do it.
    ive asked this a few times. Is this in any way faster..or better for my pre if i already have the ipk installed for the normal 720mhz patch
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    ive asked this a few times. Is this in any way faster..or better for my pre if i already have the ipk installed for the normal 720mhz patch

Yes, Caj has stated that there are some needed improvements in the new release, even if you don't see a performance change.

You can find some of those posts over in the SPK thread, particularly over the last several days worth of posts.
    Im having a little trouble installing this. When I get to the step that checks for previous kernals it just gets stuck there. I know for a fact that there is nothing installed on my Pre so I'm not sure why I'm getting hung up there. Any suggestions?
    @PASTORRICH1, I am still using the original 800Mhz.sh kernel. Is there a speed difference with this second generation superkernel? What is the benefit of me uninstalling the original .sh version and using the second generation superkernel?
    I see installation and removing is easier with superkernel, however I have no need to alter the speed. I can't see a reason for not wanting to stay at 800Mhz like i do now. A little insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    New Super Pre Kernel App!!! Is SMOKIN'
    You might want to reconsider using the term "SMOKIN'" when talking about the overclocking kernel .
    everytime I go to the link click on it sends me to the top of the page? Does anyone kno the right one.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by iannuzzi4 View Post
    Im having a little trouble installing this. When I get to the step that checks for previous kernals it just gets stuck there. I know for a fact that there is nothing installed on my Pre so I'm not sure why I'm getting hung up there. Any suggestions?
    Did you have a custom kernel installed previously?

Well, the quick solution is likely to install the Palm recovery kernel from Preware.

I personally decided to Dr. prior to this just so I would be working from a totally clean slate.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by alexlevy117 View Post
    @PASTORRICH1, I am still using the original 800Mhz.sh kernel. Is there a speed difference with this second generation superkernel? What is the benefit of me uninstalling the original .sh version and using the second generation superkernel?
    I see installation and removing is easier with superkernel, however I have no need to alter the speed. I can't see a reason for not wanting to stay at 800Mhz like i do now. A little insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
    Caj has answered this a few times over in the SPK thread, there are some enhancements to fix little issues with the previous kernel releases. So far he has told everyone that had the previous kernels to remove them and install the app then install the new kernel from the app.

Not only that, in the event of issues down the road after an update or something else, it prevents him from having to troubleshoot mutliple versions out there.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpreboss View Post
    everytime I go to the link click on it sends me to the top of the page? Does anyone kno the right one.
    I'm not sure which link you are talking about, but if it is the download links then try these...

com.l337tech_caj2008spkapp_allOS1.4.ipk (264 Kb file)
    Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?jdkn3yjnhin

com.l337tech_caj2008spkinstall_allOS1.4_armv7.ipk (5.3 Mb file)
    Link:http://www.mediafire.com/?j4ymk3fwnym
    and once i install the kernal will it work with the cpu scalar application?
    [QUOTE=pastorrich1;2409850]I'm not sure which link you are talking about, but if it is the download links then try these...

com.l337tech_caj2008spkapp_allOS1.4.ipk (264 Kb file)
    Link: [url]

com.l337tech_caj2008spkinstall_allOS1.4_armv7.ipk (5.3 Mb file)
    Link:[url]

thanx I'll give them a try
  13.    #33  
    Yes
    Questions about the new Super Kernel App from Caj, Is this app only available for OS 1.4 users only. I am one of these users and I am think of going to the 1.41 version of WebOS.

What are the benefits of 1.41 and will it work with Caj's fabulous time warp app...its lightning fast for me as is.

OBTY I have a friend that had a palm plus and now has a Droid and I put mine side by side and he was floored.....good job Caj, everyone needs to get this! Or better yet Palm need to hire you as the main developer dude!
    Quote Originally Posted by lem855 View Post
    Questions about the new Super Kernel App from Caj, Is this app only available for OS 1.4 users only. I am one of these users and I am think of going to the 1.41 version of WebOS.

What are the benefits of 1.41 and will it work with Caj's fabulous time warp app...its lightning fast for me as is.

OBTY I have a friend that had a palm plus and now has a Droid and I put mine side by side and he was floored.....good job Caj, everyone needs to get this! Or better yet Palm need to hire you as the main developer dude!
    this app works for both 1.4 and 1.4.1.1 and 1.4.2 0r 1.4.1 whatever it works on these
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    install this app and kernel first then install the scaler app they work well together
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    where is the scaler app in webosqi? what is the name of the app?
    Quote Originally Posted by alexlevy117 View Post
    I am still using the original 800Mhz.sh kernel. Is there a speed difference with this second generation superkernel? What is the benefit of me uninstalling the original .sh version and using the second generation superkernel?
    Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    I do not see what makes this different from the other 800mhz.
    The underlying kernel binary is the same webOS 1.4.0 kernel build that Marco (unixpsycho) did back in March (run "cat /proc/version" to verify that yourself - you will see Marco's build host and the March date shown in the kernel build information string) - exactly the same binary, the md5sums match.

So any improvements you are experiencing over any other overclocking package based on that same kernel binary are in the packaging and installation, not in the kernel itself.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 04/28/2010 at 10:14 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    don't want to disrupt this "discussion", but I've figured out how to install the scaler app...thanks. You may carry on now...
    Quote Originally Posted by hofs1 View Post
    Ill throw up a possible reason and for the record I know nothing about the underpinnings of webos.

Is it not possible that by smoothing out the install process fewer items are being "disturbed" during the install which may make it run better than the prior versions which had some minor bumps during the install.
    It certainly is possible that some people (e.g. those that were stuck at 600MHz) had installations which either did not install the right files, or did not write the correct settings to the kernel parameters in /sys. An improvement in packaging and installation definitely can fix those things, and is well worth the effort that has been applied to remove the chance of those incorrect installations.

My question is whether anyone thinks that a correctly installed and configured kernel binary can have a different correctly installed performance on the same device when exactly the same kernel binary is installed as part of an improved delivery package a month or so later.

My understanding of how the kernel works is that the same frequency and voltage OPP settings (which I believe are identical amongst *all* current overclocking kernel implementations) combined with the same governor and scaling parameter settings, will result in exactly the same performance on a particular individual device (note that the performance may be different between different devices due to the variability of the manufacturing process, and the binning of devices into speed grades).

See http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2412077 for the list of things which are identical between the Super PreKernel and the Uber-Kernel. My assertion is that correctly installed kernels configured with exactly the same governor and CPU scaling parameters will have identical performance characteristics. I'm asking those who put forward a different assertion to state the technical rationale on which they base that different assertion.

There is no intent to inflame anyone (even though it seems to be a very touchy area for some reason which I don't fully understand) - this is a purely technical question about the contents of an overclocking package, which still hasn't been answered. Why is there such a reticence to engage in the technical discussion? The answers to such questions may well show the way to further performance improvements for the benefit of the community ...

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 04/29/2010 at 07:33 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast